Windows 10: How to change Compatibility from Win 10 to XP?

Discus and support How to change Compatibility from Win 10 to XP? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; The program that I want to change the Compatibility to XP is the game 'Crysis', yet neither its .EXE nor its shortcut have the Compatibility tab... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by cottersay, Jan 2, 2016.

1. cottersay Win User

How to change Compatibility from Win 10 to XP?

The program that I want to change the Compatibility to XP is the game 'Crysis', yet neither its .EXE nor its shortcut have the Compatibility tab showing when I right click on them. How can I force them into XP compatibility mode? (And where the heck is this "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" I keep reading about -- my very latest version of Win 10 seems to know nothing about it)?

Many Thanks,

-Cotter

:)

cottersay, Jan 2, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Windows Defender won't start, error 0X80070246: "An error has occurred in the program during initialization"

Yes, and I' ve done a lot more to try to fix this. I reinstalled at Recovery. I need an .iso for the latest build available and MSFT mistakenly witholds them for no good reason.

Win 8 to 10, Jan 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the program compatibility assistant can be found here:
    C:\Users\xxx-your-id-xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\All Commands
    "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows'.

I use Classic Shell, and just typed 'compatibility' into its search box- oddly enough, bingo. Never done that before.

The assistant then (after a bit) lists programs found so you can choose one.

Normally it's run as part of setting and choosing compatibility as you describe.

By the way, can you see a compatibility tab for any other program? Is the service running?

dalchina, Jan 2, 2016
  5. Yeah I found certain game exe files do not have the compatibility tab in properties. They are few and far between but it's odd. If I d if you right click the exe then compatibility is generally displayed in the context menu that displays. Maybe it's something to do with securom/safedisc causing that tab to not display

Scottyboy99, Jan 2, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 2, 2016
  7. Yep I think so. Too draconian a move by MS. I have quite a few games crippled by this. If your an upgraded from 7, 8 or 8.1 I believe the driver/service can be re enabled but clean Windows 10 installs never had it so that is a blow. Means having to source no cd exe files to play our legitimately bought games on Windows 10 which is a far greater risk given the dodgy type of sites that tend to host them. Once again people who pay money legally are shafted. MS doesn't seem to think, they should give us the choice. Sorry this has gone a little off topic

Scottyboy99, Jan 2, 2016
  8. cottersay Win User

Thanks guys, and especially thanks dalchina ; your method worked perfectly! Plus, I just installed Classic Shell, which sound like a really great program!

cottersay, Jan 2, 2016
  9. sml156 Win User
    The Program Compatibility Assistant can be found buy searching with Cortana too.

sml156, Jan 3, 2016
  10. cottersay Win User
    I tried that, but all Cortana did was search, and search, and search. After an hour I got tired of it, and shut it down completely.

cottersay, Jan 3, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Cortana's quick results amongst 'My Stuff' depends on what's indexed of course, so changing indexing locations could affect that. (That can also slow Settings searches dramatically). Searching beyond what's indexed is s-l-o-w. I happened to add all control panel features to Classic Shell, so it indexes them.

dalchina, Jan 3, 2016
  12. sml156 Win User
    Is your Win 10 install new maybe it hasn't had time to index properly mine was fast on a 9 year old Computer

I Have not changed index settings and don't like Classic shell

sml156, Jan 3, 2016
  13. cottersay Win User

Thanks guys. Under Settings for Classic Shell Start menu, Search Box tab, I have everything under "Search Programs and Settings" and "Search Files" check marked, so that should do it! (Unless there is another Indexing Setting I'm missing...).

cottersay, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change Compatibility from Win 10 to XP? - Similar Threads - change Compatibility

2. Even when I changed all compatibility settings to windows 7 gor sims 1 it still won't play...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Even when I changed all compatibility settings to windows 7 gor sims 1 it still won't play...: Even when I changed all compatibility settings to windows 7 for sims 1 it still won't play when I click play https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/even-when-i-changed-all-compatibility-settings-to/90072942-1b59-4592-9107-fc3e4d45c0ed
  3. Even when I changed all compatibility settings to windows 7 gor sims 1 it still won't play...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Even when I changed all compatibility settings to windows 7 gor sims 1 it still won't play...: Even when I changed all compatibility settings to windows 7 for sims 1 it still won't play when I click play https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/even-when-i-changed-all-compatibility-settings-to/90072942-1b59-4592-9107-fc3e4d45c0ed
  4. I am an administrator user but, I can't even change folder's icon or their compatibility...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am an administrator user but, I can't even change folder's icon or their compatibility...: When I login with administrator mode, it shows all the tabs security - customization etc but with my normal user I only use this profile and its administrator it only shows me 3 tabs as you can see in the screenshot. What should I do to get other tabs? I don't want to use the...
  5. I am an administrator user but, I can't even change folder's icon or their compatibility...

I am an administrator user but, I can't even change folder's icon or their compatibility...: When I login with administrator mode, it shows all the tabs security - customization etc but with my normal user I only use this profile and its administrator it only shows me 3 tabs as you can see in the screenshot. What should I do to get other tabs? I don't want to use the...
  6. my motherboard is not compatable with windows 11 if I change botherboard how do I download...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my motherboard is not compatable with windows 11 if I change botherboard how do I download...: my motherboard is not compatable with windows 11 if I change botherboard how do I download windows 11 and then activate it I have full activation key...
  7. my motherboard is not compatable with windows 11 if I change botherboard how do I download...

my motherboard is not compatable with windows 11 if I change botherboard how do I download...: my motherboard is not compatable with windows 11 if I change botherboard how do I download windows 11 and then activate it I have full activation key...
  8. I can't change compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't change compatibility mode: I'm trying to run a very old program on a brand new laptop with Windows 10 Home. I get the message "This app can't run on your PC." That's surprising because I installed and ran the program on a different PC running Windows 10 not the exact same version. BTW, the program I'm...
  9. Do i need to change DPI scalling in compatibility tab for each game ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do i need to change DPI scalling in compatibility tab for each game ?: It is best to check in compatibility tab to override DPI scalling and set it to: "by application". To avoid issues. It is just annoying to have to do that for each game. I have disabled option in setting/system/advanced scalling setting/fix scalling for apps. I am not sure if...
  10. Space between Icons changed after using not compatible program

in Windows 10 Support
    Space between Icons changed after using not compatible program: I'm trying to help someone that has the following problem: After using a program not compatible with Windows 10 (Windows 7 Folder Background Changer) the space between icons changed. When I search google I only find stuff on how to change the spacing between icons for the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to get xp compatibilty mode for windows 10

2. windows 10 change compatibility to winxp