Windows 10: How to change default Folder View of Search Results

Discus and support How to change default Folder View of Search Results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, After installing an update a few days ago I am encountering a number of extremely annoying issues I didn't previously have. Whenever I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dacomp89, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Dacomp89 Win User

How to change default Folder View of Search Results

Hello,

After installing an update a few days ago I am encountering a number of extremely annoying issues I didn't previously have.

Whenever I use the Search Box in the File Explorer, it almost always displays the results using the "Content" view. If I switch it to my preferred "Detail" view, it seems to temporarily remember, but it forgets after I search elsewhere.

How do I make it so that whenever I use the Search Box, the File Explorer displays the results in the 'Detail' view?

Thanks.

:)

Dacomp89, Aug 12, 2016

2. How can I set up a default or preferred view for folder search results, Build 14393?

How can I set up a default or preferred view for folder search results?

Windows Build 14393 has a default view for the results when I perform searches within folders. With the previous Windows 10 version, Windows would use my preferred search results view. Previously, to establish the search results view was simply to set the
    view for search results after obtaining the search results in that folder. This no longer works. For example, if I perform a .jpg search in a folder, Windows always defaults to "Content" view, "Descending" order. I have never, not even once, selected this
    view. No matter how many times I change the the view of the results, new searches always resolve to default Contents, Descending view.

LeonardoDV, Aug 12, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Explorer saved searches default to Content View/Descending Order in spite of being saved as Xtra Large Icon/Name (Ascending)

You seem to want to find a modification that changes search results to alphabetical. You found a workaround that seemed to make this happen for you on second use.

Perhaps that workaround is the best that can be achieved.

In addition to the Ramesh Srinivasan that you provided, you might also find this TenForums thread of some use but do note that it starts off very awkwardly and there is no consensus on its results -

How to change default Folder View of Search Results - Windows 10 Forums I also appreciate that you are not trying
    to achieve exactly the same result but I thought that it would still be of use.

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 12, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

You need to 'Apply' the Folder View to each category of Folders and/or Drives depending on what type of items the Folders are optimized for.

If I perform a clean install or a Reset, I will go to each 'Parent' folder or Sub-Folder in the Navigation Pane, (except This PC itself), set the view by right clicking an empty space►View (1),
    then open Folder Options from within the Ribbon/View Tab (2), 'Apply to folders' (3), click 'Yes' in the dialog (4), click OK (5).

Do that for each Navigation Pane entry. Takes a few minutes but then you'll be all set.

How to change default Folder View of Search Results [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 12, 2016
  5. Dacomp89 Win User
    That works for regular folders, but I am looking specifically at Search Results. The Apply to Folders button is not available when viewing search results. Even when searching in a folder that is in Detail view, the Search Results are almost always in Content view.

Dacomp89, Aug 12, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Set your preferred view in all areas, as per above, and your search results will render your preferred view.
    You don't need to change any views after a search result.

EDIT: I see what you're saying, a folder search from within File Explorer!
    I was searching straight from the Start Menu! *Redface
    Lemme fiddle with that.

Edwin, Aug 12, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    Okay,
    I invoked a search, after the results populated I changed the view, closed the Explorer window.

I did so in all areas/categories and it saved my choice in all areas even after Restarting Explorer, Restarting the machine and after a cold boot.

Very interesting, I've never paid attention to that before!

Try it, your mileage may vary.

Edwin, Aug 12, 2016
  8. How to change default Folder View of Search Results

Clever Edwin.

I was about to post that the custom search view(s) are retained if you save the search - but I like your solution better.
    Make the changes, then just close the window.

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    Still testing it out, seems to work though.

Edwin, Aug 13, 2016
  10. Dacomp89 Win User
    That appears to work. The issue now is that I don't want to have to do that for every single folder, particularly newly created folders. The setting is not being inherited. Is there a way to change the universal default from Content View to Detail View? It also uses Large Icon View when video and image files are present, but it doesn't seem consistent.

Thanks for the help btw.

Dacomp89, Aug 13, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    Just apply the settings to each parent folder and it will apply to all folders and sub-folders that reside within each. The setting will carry over to newly created folders.

For example:
    I apply the settings to these 14 Parent Folders, (that's about the whole PC!), takes about 10 minutes and I'm done:

How to change default Folder View of Search Results [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 13, 2016
  12. I haven't played with this for a long time, so it might not be correct for Win10

There are two standrad search files in the Searches folder under your user folder
    Everywhere
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <persistedQuery version="1.0">
    <query>
    <kindList>
    <kind name="item"/> </kindList> <scope knownScopeID="{7c61d0a6-af7e-483a-b705-d2c5c2264656}" />
    </query></persistedQuery>
    Indexed Locations
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <query>
    <kindList>
    <kind name="item"/> </kindList> <scope knownScopeID="{f60163ce-2b8d-458d-ab2c-40f215767514}" />
    </query></persistedQuery>
    I used to modify those files to include customized presentation

Copy the existing files ... just in case

Navigate to This PC and type a period - . - into the search box (the period is a wildcard for any character)
    Select and arrange the columns, sorting, grouping, etc to what you want
    Select Save search from the Search tab menu
    any name is fine - all you want are the customized settings in the saved search file.

<viewInfo viewMode="details" iconSize="16" stackIconSize="0" displayName="Search Results in This PC" autoListFlags="0">
    <visibleColumns>
    <column viewField="System.ItemTypeText"/>
    <column viewField="System.ItemNameDisplay"/>
    <column viewField="System.DateModified"/>
    <column viewField="System.Size"/>
    <column viewField="System.ItemFolderPathDisplay"/></visibleColumns>
    <sortList>
    <sort viewField="System.DateModified" direction="descending"/></sortList></viewInfo>
    You can then paste your customized view into the two standard search files between
    and
    <query>

Once you get the hang of the syntax, it's not that bad *Eek

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2016
  13. Dacomp89 Win User

It isn't. A search on the Desktop is in Detail view, yet searches in folders on the Desktop remain Content View.

No effect. Double-clicking the saved search even opens the search results in Content View, apparently completely ignoring the viewMode="details" setting in the file.

It seems clear that the settings are saved on a folder by folder basis. Any idea where that is stored?

Dacomp89, Aug 14, 2016
  14. You might try navigating to your user folder and your typed sub folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos)
    Do a search in each - set the results to your liking, close Explorer window - on to the next folder
    Wash, rinse, repeat (there's only five)

The sub folders are (or were) templates for Explorer views - they might also be templates for searches in those folder types (Docs, Music, etc)

When I tested a saved search for ext:eml, the next search I did from Explorer > This PC had the layout for the email search (from sender, date rcv'd ....). Then I searched from my Documents folder and the view of the search results was what I expected. I corrected This PC search results view and things are back to what I prefer.

That's all I can think of - I doubt each folder has a setting for search results, but the special system folders probably do

Good luck,

Bill

Slartybart, Aug 14, 2016
  15. Hello

I have tried everything on this post and nothing worked.

I have Windows 10 Pro and since I installed Anniversary Update, the search from the Windows file explorer search box always forgets my custom view and I have to redo it every single search I do.

Has anybody found a solution that really works for this problem? @Dacomp89

Thanks! *Smile

Bruce Wayne, Aug 19, 2016
Thema:

1. How to change default Folder View of Search Results - Similar Threads - change default Folder

2. How to change File explorer default folder view for new folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change File explorer default folder view for new folders: I am a sound designer and I found really annoying that windows always tries to view my sound folders as they would be some music folders. I found that I can change the default view for all the folders from the folder options solution for example here. That works nicely for...
  3. How to change File explorer default folder view for new folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change File explorer default folder view for new folders: I am a sound designer and I found really annoying that windows always tries to view my sound folders as they would be some music folders. I found that I can change the default view for all the folders from the folder options solution for example here. That works nicely for...
  4. Change default view for the search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default view for the search results: Is there a way to set thedefault view for the search results in file explorer without having to changeit every time I use the search feature? I would like the default view be for:1. Documents, not web. This should be the default view as oneonly need go to search engine for...
  5. Search results to find folders only as the default search.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search results to find folders only as the default search.: Hi, I have thousands of client folders on my laptop with tens of thousands of files. I would like to have only client folders found when I use the search function as I am trying to 'find' a particular clients file so I can add/modify/ delete items etc. At the moment...
  6. search results to be in DETAILS view

in Windows 10 Support
    search results to be in DETAILS view: When I do a search, I want the results to be in DETAILS view instead of CONTENT view. How to make the change so that results always come up in details view? Win 10 165737
  7. default View LIST in search folder

default View LIST in search folder: how to default View LIST in search folder ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-view-list-in-search-folder/58d196f6-f2bd-4de9-ac02-b93cf7b63026
  8. Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer

in Cortana
    Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer: Results show up in "Content" view by default, which is annoying for me and quite a few folks. To set the default view to "Details", add this registry key and values in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\...
  9. Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View)

Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View): When I do a search, I want the default view of the results to be the detailed view. How do I change the default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-search-view-to-detail-view-not/8d2eb719-0ee7-466c-87c5-30878be8656f
  10. How to customize default search view ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to customize default search view ?: Hi everyone, So I already know how to customize de default view in the explorer for General Items, Documents, Pictures, Music, or Videos folders, but how to do the same for the search results ? Basically, if you customize the view for any search on the folder c:\toto,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. {7c61d0a6-af7e-483a-b705-d2c5c2264656} />