Windows 10: How to change default WIN10 start menu for ALL Users?

Discus and support How to change default WIN10 start menu for ALL Users? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I decided to use windows 10 OS in my organization, but the problem is Windows Start Menu. Is it possible to modify default start menu for all computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Fanzal, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Fanzal Win User

How to change default WIN10 start menu for ALL Users?

I decided to use windows 10 OS in my organization, but the problem is Windows Start Menu. Is it possible to modify default start menu for all computer local and domain users? I dont want to see news, finances, xbox etc tiles in start menu each time when new user will login to PC. I want to create the same start menu myself for every user. Thanks

:)

Fanzal, Aug 31, 2015
  2. Hugo 12 Win User

why do all the apps show in the start menu WINDOWS 10

how can I change the default to keep the All Apps List from showing in the start menu, like it was before the recent update.

Hugo 12, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Missing Tiles/Start Button

That is in no way the default Start Menu. You seem to have installed a third-party replacement, such as
    Classic Shell perhaps. Uninstall it to get back the default Win10 Start Menu with tiles.

RobertJWin, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Fanzal, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Once you have the Start layout how you like it, you can pick up at step 2 in the tutorial below to specify a Start layout for all users in Windows 10 as well.

Start Screen Layout - Specify Default in Windows 8.1

Hope this helps.

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  5. Fanzal Win User
    Thanks, the problem party solved. Not so good as i wanted but much better than before *Smile

Fanzal, Sep 2, 2015
  6. Fanzal Win User
    This solution solved my problem partly. After that user cannot change or pin programs to start layout. Of course i can make Not configured as it was before but then another new user will get default windows start menu again...

Fanzal, Sep 2, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I suppose it depends on how often you create new accounts.

If not to often, then you could keep the .xml file for the custom profile saved on the computer, and only enable the policy before added a new account, then set the policy back to "Not configured" after they sign in for the first time.

Of course this would also undo all the other accounts' changes to their Start layout.

Brink, Sep 2, 2015
  8. AndyFH Win User

Hi Fanzal, to let users modify the Start, you have to un-check read-only on the file.

AndyFH, Oct 20, 2015
  9. trimbleGU Win User
    Open Command Promt as Admin. then copy and paste this.
    powershell
    Export-StartLayout -Path 'C:\users\All Users\Desktop\customlayout.xml' -verbose
    Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath 'C:\users\All Users\Desktop\customlayout.xml'-MountPath c:\ -verbose
    del 'C:\users\All Users\Desktop\customlayout.xml' -verbose

trimbleGU, Nov 26, 2015
  10. annenap Win User
    When I tried this (and thank you for posting), it shows programs I had put in the Start menu, but not Windows/Modern/Metro apps.

Any suggestions?

Original start menu that was exported:

How to change default WIN10 start menu for ALL Users? [​IMG]

How it looks when imported and logged in as a different user:

How to change default WIN10 start menu for ALL Users? [​IMG]

annenap, Nov 29, 2015
  11. trimbleGU Win User
    My guess would be that those apps weren't installed for the new users. When you add an app with the Microsoft store it only installs it for the user that added it. I have never had to add a provisioned package for my users, but I think this page might help you out.*Wink https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...or=-2147217396 I think the top example on the bottom of the page will get you on the right track.

trimbleGU, Nov 29, 2015
  12. annenap Win User
    trimbleGU, thanks very much for shining a new light on my issue. I'm going to check it out now and will let you know!

annenap, Nov 29, 2015
  13. kenglong Win User

This worked for me except for one tile. I had pinned Internet Explorer to the Start Menu before exporting. It shows in the xml file but it doesn't appear when a new user logs into the PC. I have to manually pin it. Anyone know how to make IE appear with the rest of the custom pinned tiles?

kenglong, May 1, 2016
  14. trimbleGU Win User
    Short answer = Copy the IE shortcut to C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

open your apps menu and go all apps. Then go down to the windows accessories folder and right click on the IE shortcut. click more and then "Open file location" when windows explore opens copy the shortcut. Then on the address bar change only your user name to "default". That will open up the location to past the IE shortcut so it will be created for new users.

Easy solution = Copy and paste this in Admin Cmd Prompt
    copy %userprofile%"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories"

P.S. I like to move the shortcut up one level out of the accessories folder to make more visible on the start menu. In that case you can just remove the "\Accessories" from the above command.

trimbleGU, May 2, 2016
  15. kenglong Win User
    That worked, although, I don't fully understand why. The shortcut is in the new user's start menu after they log on the first time. Maybe it's a matter of timing? In any case, thanks!

kenglong, May 2, 2016
Thema:

1. How to change default WIN10 start menu for ALL Users? - Similar Threads - change default WIN10

2. Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10: Hello All. Running win10 on my laptop and have to click the "all apps" on the start menu to see all programs. I go to Settings > Personalization > Start but the option to Show app list in Start menu does not exist. Is there any other way to show all apps in the start menu? Or...
  3. Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10: Hello All. Running win10 on my laptop and have to click the "all apps" on the start menu to see all programs. I go to Settings > Personalization > Start but the option to Show app list in Start menu does not exist. Is there any other way to show all apps in the start menu? Or...
  4. Show All Apps In Start Menu Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how to change start menu to default style from ViveTool to default

how to change start menu to default style from ViveTool to default: After new windows update I am installing new start menu style using ViveTool its successfully installed and after that I am unable to search in start menu and when ever i tried to open a apps they crashes so how to switch default windows 10 start menu style....
  6. Start/Shutdown menu changed its default to "switch user"

in Windows 10 Support
    Start/Shutdown menu changed its default to "switch user": A week or two ago, my Start/Shutdown menu changed its default from Shutdown to "switch user." Also, when I get the full shutdown menu, there is a new option to "update and restart." But there are no updates pending. [img] How can I get back to the standard shutdown menu,...
  7. Change the default Color of the Start Menu & Taskbar

Change the default Color of the Start Menu & Taskbar: This post is intended for Build 9926 and you are using the default Start Menu. To change the default Color of the Start Menu & Taskbar go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Personalization > Color And Appearance then select Show Color Mixer. These 3 sliders will...
  8. Changing start menu icons to small by default

Changing start menu icons to small by default: Changing the icon size of a start menu icon is easy. But how can you make the start menu icons small by default so that you do not need to change the size every single time? [img] 66749
  9. Win10 1709 start menu icon for all user

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 1709 start menu icon for all user: Dear, As we need create Win10 Pro 1709 image for deploy remain PC in our company, i want to apply this settings and apply to all users, "Settings" icon not show on start menu (red arrow as following attached picture) [img] In previous Win10 Pro 1607, i can turn...
  10. Start Menu default showing all apps?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu default showing all apps?: I recently installed windows 10 on an old notebook and for some reason the start menu looks like this: [img] I don't want it to show the alphabetical list of all the apps by default. On all my other computers the start menu looks more like this one....