Windows 10: How to change drive-icon for USB-keys? Is it possible?

Discus and support How to change drive-icon for USB-keys? Is it possible? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings. I want Explorer to show an icon for an USB-stick rather than the default icon which is the icon for a harddrive. I found a nice USB-stick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Burgurne, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Burgurne Win User

How to change drive-icon for USB-keys? Is it possible?

Greetings.
    I want Explorer to show an icon for an USB-stick rather than the default icon which is the icon for a harddrive. I found a nice USB-stick icon in the Windows-file C:\system32\DDORes.dll #2389, and I found a way to get it into Explorer via Brink's guide, but ONLY for a specific Drive-letter (f.i. "Q:").
    I would like to have Explorer show the USB-stick icon nomatter the drive-letter, if it is an USB-stick. If it is a HDD or a SSD or a DVD, then it should keep the default icons like it does now.

An example: I have 2 SSD 1 HDD and 1 bluray. My first available driveletter is G:, so I want letters from G: and forward to show up an icon for an USB-stick, if that is what I am connecting. If I connect an USB HDD, then it should remain a HDD-icon. Is this possible?

:)

Burgurne, Oct 5, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

My USB Drive is labeled H:, how do I change it back to normal?

Hi TechPro_Insider,

Open Disk Management (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Select the Partition(s) on the Flash Drive and choose 'Delete Volume' on each partition

When you are left with one unallocated space, right click and choose 'New Simple Volume''

When asked, choose a Drive letter that you feel appropriate

If you you are not asked to to choose a Drive Leter, when the formatting has completed, right click the new partition and select 'Change Drive Letter'

DaveM121, Oct 5, 2016
  3. My USB Drive is labeled H:, how do I change it back to normal?

Yes. You can do that. You can store anywhere on your computer.

E for Excel, Oct 5, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 5, 2016
  5. Burgurne Win User
    Hello Brink.
    This guide is the one that showed me how to change icon for a specific letter (f.i. G: ). Option one in the guide will not do what I want, as it should also work with USB-sticks that others bring to me.
    When Windows 10 shifts between icon for HDD, DVD and Bluray (and Microsoft indeed has made a beutifull icon of an USB-stick), I really don't se why Microsoft has not included USB-sticks in Explorer. I'm quite sure Microsoft know what an USB-stick is How to change drive-icon for USB-keys? Is it possible? :)
    Explorer has to get info about which drive it shows an icon for, since the icon changes between systemDisc, HDD, DVD and Bluray. If possible, I want to add the info about an USB-stick. As seen on the picture, drive H: and Q: is USB-sticks, but it is made by option 3 in your guide, and therefore if I made yet another logical drive on my HDD, it will also show up as an USB :-(

But if it is not possible, I'll have to settle with Option 3 in your guide in sevenforums. I do hope for a solution though *Smile

How to change drive-icon for USB-keys? Is it possible? [​IMG]

Burgurne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change drive-icon for USB-keys? Is it possible? - Similar Threads - change drive icon

2. Is it possible to change the win10 taskbar icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to change the win10 taskbar icon?: What it says on the tin, just wondering if it's possible and how. Windows 10 v20H2 172792
  3. Changing apps' icons, is it possible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing apps' icons, is it possible?: I've seen loads of people changing the desktop icons of apps, and that's really easy to do and I am aware of how its done. But is there a file location for apps that stores the actual icon so you can change it completely so it shows your customized icon in the start menu and...
  4. Is it possible to change the icon of the weather app?

Is it possible to change the icon of the weather app?: The big orange circle with a little white cloud, the default windows 10 weather app. I can't find it anywhere on the C drive. Lil help? <3...
  5. USB icon change for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB icon change for no reason: Hello, I want to know why my USB drive and SD card icon change for no reason on two computer, one with windows 10 Pro (1903) and the other on windows 10 Entreprise (1903) and a way to fix it if is possible. This is before: [ATTACH] and this is now: [ATTACH]...
  6. USB Icon Auto Change

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Icon Auto Change: Hi, just now when I start using my laptop, I notice that the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" the icon change from USB to Hub/Server icon. Here are the examples:[IMG] When USB Thumb drive plugin [ATTACH] Before Icon on the USB Drive (D:) [ATTACH] After...
  7. Change Pinned-to-Start Icons (Is it Possible?)

Change Pinned-to-Start Icons (Is it Possible?): I was updating some of my programs and figured I'd get a different frontend for my pcsx2 emulator than PCSX2Bonus, so I downloaded spectabis and pinned it to start, then I saw it had a cool looking tile, which leads to my question: Is there a program out there that will let...
  8. How to change folder and drive icons

How to change folder and drive icons: I recently happened upon a few of Brink's tutorials on how to change folder icons sys wide, and in This PC. They were so effective that I sent him a pm to thank him. But that also posed a few questions in my mind, and he thought they would be a good addition to the thread. So...
  9. Change Drive Icons

Change Drive Icons: Can you change the drive icons in Win 10? I did this in Win 8.1. In regedit -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURENTVERSION\EXPLORER, it won't let me type DriveIcons. [img] 35800
  10. Bugcheck possibly USB drive related

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bugcheck possibly USB drive related: Hi find attached the bug check report, only two things that I can think of that would have caused this is USB drives attached, using KeepAliveHD to have my Western Digital My Book Drive not go to sleep or the GEFORCE drivers, which is updated but I do know there is issues...