Windows 10: How to change drive letter of mirror drive

Discus and support How to change drive letter of mirror drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by churin, Oct 24, 2015.

1. churin Win User

How to change drive letter of mirror drive

I have just set up a mirror drive(software RAID1) and want to change the drive letter. I am getting a message "The parameter is incorrect". I am wondering if I am stuck with the one assigned when the mirror drive was set up.

:)

churin, Oct 24, 2015

2. Will storage spaces work after a 8.1 to 10 upgrade or will I have to set them up again

Upgrade should work fine.

Drive letters have been known to change in some cases already.

Backups are always the wise choice. (Mirror arrays are not backups.)

Shenan Stanley, Oct 24, 2015
  3. Engztrom Win User
    Breaking mirror: which disk will keep the original drive letter?

I run Windows 10 Pro, with Disk#1 and Disk#2 setup as mirrors (as "D:"), but now I want to break the mirror and let Disk#1 keep "D:" as drive letter, and assign a new drive letter to Disk#2 (e.g. "E:").

Which disk should I right-click on and select "break mirror" to achieve that, is it Disk#1, or Disk#2?

Engztrom, Oct 24, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

If this is the system drive C: then I don't believe you can change it. If it is another drive, make sure it is not in use and that your paging (swap) file is not located there.

Kanata, Oct 24, 2015
  5. churin Win User
    Thanks for your reply. It was found that the pagefile.sys was in the mirror drive. I moved it to C: drive and the problem is resolved. I thought the pagefile.sys is always in C: drive.

churin, Oct 24, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    Ideally it should be in the C: drive and certainly a portion of it should be, but it can be moved entirely or partially to other drives if free space on C: is an issue.

Kanata, Oct 24, 2015
  7. churin Win User
    I understand that the pagefile.sys is automatically created in C: by default. The pagefile.sys found during present troubleshooting was located in the mirror drive being a data drive. I might have deleted the pagefile.sys long time ago which was before upgrading W7 to W10, and W10 might inherited the no pagefile.sys setting. But then I wonder how come the pagefile.sys shows up in the newly created mirror drive.

Another thing: Drive letter of the mirror drive was changed instantly but the status column showed "Recynking" for over one hour until it turned to "Healthy". While it showed "Recynking" certain Disk Management operation for the mirror drive was disabled. Is this resyncing normal behavier? The mirror drive is 1TB(using 2x 1TB ssd) and 30% is free.

churin, Oct 24, 2015
  8. Kanata Win User

It probably is normal because if the RAID is controlled by the Windows software rather than by a hardware controller then the new version of Windows likely needs to set it up within its own environment so it can control it according to its own requirements.
    The drive letter would have been the next one available in Win 10 and I would expect that it could not keep the original drive letter.
    If all is working OK for you now, I don't think anything 'unusual' has occurred.

Kanata, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change drive letter of mirror drive - Similar Threads - change drive letter

2. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  3. How to change an assigned Drive Letter for my Slave Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change an assigned Drive Letter for my Slave Drive: My boot drive is C.I have a 2nd drive, which used to be assigned the letter "E" but since my re-installation of Windows, this slave drive is now "F." When I went into settings and I found how to change it to "E" again, there was a dropdown list of letters to choose, but...
  4. How to change Drive letter in windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Drive letter in windows 10: [ATTACH]This post will show you how to change the Drive letter in Windows 10. […] This article How to change Drive letter in windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Change SSD drive letter

Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  6. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  7. How to change CD Drive's letter?

How to change CD Drive's letter?: I have both dvd and cd Drives shown on my computer on my laptop, i need to change the CD letter but, only DVD is shown in different programs. [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  9. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  10. Change OS Drive Letter

Change OS Drive Letter: I've got a two hard drive laptop set up and I'd like the OS to be on my faster 256GB OCZ RD400 SSD but with a letter other than C: I don't care what letter, just not C. My larger 1 TB drive, is what I'd like to label as C: without the operating system on it. I use DropBox...