Windows 10: How to change folder and drive icons

Discus and support How to change folder and drive icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently happened upon a few of Brink's tutorials on how to change folder icons sys wide, and in This PC. They were so effective that I sent him a pm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by smactilactus, May 16, 2018.

1. How to change folder and drive icons

I recently happened upon a few of Brink's tutorials on how to change folder icons sys wide, and in This PC. They were so effective that I sent him a pm to thank him. But that also posed a few questions in my mind, and he thought they would be a good addition to the thread. So for anyone who has any experience with it, I'd love to know if anyone has been able to change the folder icons for sys folders in C:\ Program Files, Program Files (86), Users and Windows. I get that changing permissions can destabilize the system, but was thinking we should be able to change the icon without all of that happening. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has managed to change the individual drive icons in This PC? Thanks for any input.

:)

smactilactus, May 16, 2018

2. I changed my location for 'Documents' and now Drive D has the 'Documents' icon

I've always changed the location of Documents and Downloads to my 'Data' partition. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and changed Documents location to drive D. Usually the icon for these two folders follows and displays on drive D.

Not sure why it didn't this time, but can you tell me how I can change these 2 folder icons? I know how to change icons, but I don't see these 2 icons in the list of Windows icons.

Thx.

ckbeme102598, May 16, 2018
  3. Folder Icons Changing in Windows 10

I had a similar issue in W8.1 but was able to correct it in the control panel. Now I'm experiencing

an issue when I view a folder and change the view from list to large icons, close the folder and come back to it at another time and the view has switched back to list. What can I do to keep the folders (all folders) in large icon view? It's probably a setting
    I'm missing somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

StormyKnight007, May 16, 2018
Thema:

How to change folder and drive icons

1. How to change folder and drive icons - Similar Threads - change folder drive

2. How do I change the folder icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the folder icons?: Hi, so I want to make my desktop look nicer and so I was trying to change the icons of the folders with windows 11, but every time i try to find a folder icon on google, it turns out to be a pdf and it wont let me use that as an icon....
  3. Change Icon in Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Icon in Folder: Hello everyone, recently I tried moving my videos folder to another drive and that ended up changing the icon of that drive, when I try to change it back it doesn't give me the option to change it, can anyone help me? I am on Windows 11. Thanks*** Moved from Spanish Forum ***...
  4. Change Icon in Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Icon in Folder: Hello everyone, recently I tried moving my videos folder to another drive and that ended up changing the icon of that drive, when I try to change it back it doesn't give me the option to change it, can anyone help me? I am on Windows 11. Thanks*** Moved from Spanish Forum ***...
  5. How to change folder icons back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change folder icons back: After the recent windows update, every folder icon now displays a sort of mini icon of one of the files inside the folder. I don't like how this looks at all. Why would windows do this? How can I change all of my folder icons back to being just the folder icon?...
  6. How to change folder icons back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change folder icons back: After the recent windows update, every folder icon now displays a sort of mini icon of one of the files inside the folder. I don't like how this looks at all. Why would windows do this? How can I change all of my folder icons back to being just the folder icon?...
  7. how to change the folder icon?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to change the folder icon?: does anyone know how to change the default folder icon? my point is that if I change and create a new folder, the icon will be changed. thanks in advance! submitted by /u/milebaa [link] [comments]...
  8. How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?: is it possible? or does Anyone knows how i change those Icons there? (marked RED).. I want to change them systemwide not one by one.. if that is possible, like changing the ICO in the DLLs for example, but i couldnt find this ICO in any of those DLLs.. Anyone knows wich ico...
  9. How to change user' folders drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change user' folders drive?: [ATTACH] Hello, I want to change where these folders are stored from C drive to D, with keeping thier names, icons and keep them in this menu. How to do this?...
  10. Change folder icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change folder icon: Hi, I wrote a batch script to set a custom icon to folders: ECHO [.ShellClassInfo]>%1\desktop.in_ ECHO IconResource=C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll,22>>%1\desktop.in_ move %1\desktop.in_ %1\desktop.ini attrib +S +H %1\desktop.ini The desktop.ini it produces is...