Windows 10: How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility

Discus and support How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was trying the File History backup utility and of course it defaulted to a preset of folders/files as I did not "Remove" any. Actually what I really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trivejb, May 10, 2016.

1. trivejb Win User

How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility

I was trying the File History backup utility and of course it defaulted to a preset of folders/files as I did not "Remove" any. Actually what I really want to is only backup a single folder that I warehouse selected data in (C\special docs) What I need to do is remove all the default folders but once File History was turned on there does not seem to be a way to go back and edit/delete the default folders. Yes I can "Exclude Folders" but without having a list of what the default ones are this is difficult. Is their a way to reset the File History default list? There does not seem to be any options to do this.
    Thanks

:)

trivejb, May 10, 2016

2. recyle bin files created by Windows backup using file history

Hello

I use the file history utility to back up key files on my harddrive, it works well with one exception.

It appears to create files in a hidden folder called $recycle.bin. This folder is a pain to empty.

How can I stop file history creating these files?

Perplexed user99, May 10, 2016
  3. Is File History Working properly for some people?

Is file history working properly for you? If so please let me know.

If file history does work on some machines then I need to assume I have some problem other than a software bug.

File History on my machine does two things that render it useless. The issues have been posted here previously and they are:

1. When I turn file history on I quickly get numerous ( 7 or more) backup copies of all the files that are designated to be backed up by file history. This includes files that have not been opened, or manipulated so they should not have multiple saved
    identical copies.

2. File History selects a large list of folders to backup. I remove the undesired folders from the list and they are still backed up. I place the undesired folders in the exclude folders list and they are still backed up and they are added back on the
    list of folders to back up by the program so that those folders appear on both the backup list and the exclude list.

Between the unwanted folders and multiple copies, I fill up a 2 TB drive in a matter of weeks.

GordonLeonard, May 10, 2016
Thema:

How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility

1. How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility - Similar Threads - change list folders

2. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  3. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  4. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History not backing up files with changed names

File History not backing up files with changed names: Hi I have change the file names on thousands of my photos to be consistent in the naming of the photos. Because they file name have been changed but on the file itself it does not backup using File History. How do I fix this. Using Windows 10 Home Version 20H2...
  6. File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]: [Windows 10 - 19041.685] Hi, how do I move a folder being monitored (backed up) by File History? Eg: 1. Folder A on drive C: is backed up by File History. 2. I move Folder A to drive D: 3. File History doesn't keep track of the move and no longer backs up Folder A. How...
  7. Changing listing order of files and folders in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing listing order of files and folders in File Explorer: Microsoft is engaged in an annoying game of intentional behavior modification. Win 10 is making everything default to the OneDrive folder, and they're putting the OneDrive listing prominently so that if you aren't extra careful, you put your stuff in that folder and not the...
  8. file history not backing selected folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history not backing selected folder: Folders have been selected for backing up and a few have been excluded. But, having selected \pictures and all it's subfolders, File History doesn't back up a sub folder. The folder it doesn't backup is my main folder and is pretty large at several gigabytes, but is that a...
  9. File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder

File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder: I have been having a problem with File History not reliably backing up all changes in my OneDrive folder for several months and have yet to find a solution for it. I have my OneDrive folder selected as one to be backed up, but every time I run a backup, only some changes get...
  10. How to change file back to folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change file back to folder?: Hello, and let me tell something before. First, I have searched the way to change the file back to folder on the internet with various combination of words. Second, I tried to do those ways, and they did not work at all. I used the check disk to find any disk drive problem...