Windows 10: How to change network connection from Public to Private?

Discus and support How to change network connection from Public to Private? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Does anyone know how to change the network from Public to Private in build 9926? It's defaulting to Public with network discovery turned off, etc, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Victek, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Victek Win User

How to change network connection from Public to Private?

Does anyone know how to change the network from Public to Private in build 9926? It's defaulting to Public with network discovery turned off, etc, and I'd like to change it to Private.

:)

Victek, Jan 23, 2015
  2. Russtom Win User

How to change from public to private network (Ethernet - *not* WiFi) in Windows 10

So this gets weirder and weirder. I clearly am connected to the Internet, but *none* of the Metro apps sense an Internet connection but non-Metro stuff is fine. First screen shot - I have this forum up in IE11 and Steam running looking at my Steam library
    on the right, and Edge upper left and the App store lower left - Edge can't find the Internet, neither can the App Store:

How to change network connection from Public to Private? [​IMG]

And even weirder - I can clearly see all the devices on my network - even my printers - yet it says I am not connected to a network. Guess it's time for a reset:

Russtom, Jan 23, 2015
  3. RamirezR. Win User
    How to change from public to private network (Ethernet - *not* WiFi) in Windows 10

Try this

1.Open "This PC" or any folder and click on network

2. If network discovery is disabled, it will show a message notifying you about it ,click on the message and "turn on network discovery"

3.Then it will show the dialog below , click on the first option (No,make the that I am connected....) ,after this the network should now have been set to private

Another way is typing the next command in powershell (you have to run powershell as a administrator)

Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias "Ethernet" -NetworkCategory Private

Where -InterfaceAlias is the name of the adapter network that you want to change its profile.

If you want to return to "Public" just change the -NetworkCategory to "Public" (-NetworkCategory Public)

RamirezR., Jan 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 23, 2015
  5. Victek Win User
    Victek, Jan 23, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change network connection from Public to Private? - Similar Threads - change network connection

2. Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public: Windows 10 Professional on numerous computers at different locations has been changing on its own to a Public Network Connection. This causes issues with network shares, etc. I change them back to Private then 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, no way to know, and they change back...
  3. Cannot change network from public to private

Cannot change network from public to private: hello greetings from cloudy Scotland! I would like to ask community for help with network policy. I want to keep all PCs in private net but every time I reset PCs network changes from private to public. I tried to change network from public to private using admin account...
  4. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  5. Changing Network Status from public to private

Changing Network Status from public to private: How do I change a network status from public to private in windows 10 version 1803? * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-status-from-public-to-private/ca5e16a5-28ca-407a-be65-3d7e15a905c2
  6. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  7. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  8. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  9. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023