Windows 10: How to change options on Project Spartan?

Discus and support How to change options on Project Spartan? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I used to have IE set to open up both Eight and Ten forums plus Bing home page when I clicked the Icon, But my homepage was/is Bing. Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, May 2, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

How to change options on Project Spartan?

I used to have IE set to open up both Eight and Ten forums plus Bing home page when I clicked the Icon, But my homepage was/is Bing.

Cliff S, May 8, 2015
  2. Winuser Win User

I just checked Spartan. It found all my favorites from IE but not Pale Moon or Fire Fox.

Winuser, May 8, 2015
  3. Home page ... about:blank
    The bleeding Edge browser doesn't seem to like that though, so it cycles through my recent history.

I think this issue is of a recent vintage, so with time it should improve (after MS actually includes History on the DotDotDot pane.

Slartybart, May 9, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Right now I use Google as my start page for Edge and I use it as my secondary in WIn10. It's, for me, making nice progress and I like to see how it's going to be in the upcoming builds.

BunnyJ, May 9, 2015
  5. Me too. I also set it on Spartan/Edge but when I just logged in it went to Bing (or MSN, can't remember) even though it is definitely set to open to Ten Forums.

I'd prefer a home page that I will actually use (I have a weather page on W8.1) to a search engine.

SaggyMaggyPoo, May 15, 2015
  6. I had a look at this Roy (what a crazy way to find the options). Unfortunately the settings I have there (automatically go to a new tab when opened and use Ten Forums as my home page) aren't working for me in Spartan. But I'm having a pretty frustrating time with Spartan anyway. Maybe I'll have to do a fresh install and see if it's any better.

7. Same here, but it does seem strange that it doesn't default to load your favorites. But then if you were to add a new browser that wouldn't automatically pick up your favorites either, so the fact that Spartan does this is a bonus I guess.

8. Cliff S New Member

Firefox does. I just clean reinstalled(not repair install to avoid cruft) 10074 to clean-up my "experiments" such as theming and playing around with drivers This time I went with Firefox instead of Chrome as my default browser. I haven't used in in months and that was in Debian 7 Wheezy. Firefox ask if I wanted to import from IE I said yes as a base for my favorites and cookies, then I sync'd and got my add-ons from before, now I have as perfectly updated back up browser(only had to download Flash Player). Chrome is quicker, but FF is safer with the Self Destructing Cookies add-on.

Cliff S, May 15, 2015
  9. ddgm91 Win User
    about:blank is a home page hijacker

ddgm91, May 15, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Please expand on that...

BunnyJ, May 15, 2015
  11. ddgm91 Win User
    I've had this before, but not yet on Win10, it's malware. Google it.

ddgm91, May 15, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, May 15, 2015
  13. How to change options on Project Spartan?

See Cliff S's post.

about:blank & about:tabs are internal to many browsers.

Some malware 'locks' the home page to display about:blank, but the blank page home page is not malicious in itself.

From Cliff's link:
    Some sites try to sell scareware (usually some bad malware removal utility).

IE has (or had) an option to explicitly set the home page to a blank page (about:blank) - now why would Microsoft do that if it were malware *Wink

Anyway, it is completely safe to set your home page to about:blank ... if you're concerned about possible malware, try about:tabs instead. Using a non web home page significantly decreases the time your browser finishes loading. You can also use local HTML

C:/Users/yourLogin/someHTML_youLike.html

Not a big deal, most people don't hang out on their home page, they go to some other site.

The thing about home pages is: it can be anything you want.
    The issue I have with 'standard' home pages is: they load a lot of crap.

Bill

Slartybart, May 16, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    About;Blank is also good to set as a homepage for people with slow/metered connections as there is nothing going on in the background and the browser will load faster.

Cliff S, May 17, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    I just set Ten Forums as Spartans homepage and it took, no problems.

Cliff S, May 17, 2015
Thema:

1. How to change options on Project Spartan? - Similar Threads - change options Project

2. Unable to change projection options.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to change projection options.: Usually, I leave my computer plugged into a monitor on my desk. However, I need to connect my computer to my TV. To do this, I turned my computer off, disconnected the VGA cable from my monitor and computer, and moved my computer over to my TV. Then, I plugged in an HDMI...
  3. Project Spartan fails to open

in Browsers and Email
    Project Spartan fails to open: Ever since I upgraded to version 10074 I cannot get Spartan to open. It starts to activate then shuts down again before the blue splash screen has disappeared. As Spartan is set to default - whenever I use a program that requires access to the net, it cant do anything as...
  4. No Project Spartan in Build 10049

in Browsers and Email
    No Project Spartan in Build 10049: Hi there. I recently installed 10049, but Project Spartan is not there or isn't working. When I go to All Apps and search under P for Project Spartan, there is an icon. When I click on it, it puts a big picture of Project Spartan on the screen, but there is no Internet...
  5. Project Spartan

in Browsers and Email
    Project Spartan: I saw somewhere on a MS site that if you are a member of THe insiders Club that you can download this browser. I can't seem to locate the url for the download. Can anyone help with this? 5004
  6. How to view older website in Project Spartan without using IE

in Browsers and Email
    How to view older website in Project Spartan without using IE: Hi, We have developed one website. which is working properly in IE 7,8 ,10 but in Spartan it is not viewing properly. We want to use Project spartan UI. Without using option "Open in Internet Explorer" which is available in Project Spartan. Kinldy suggest how to view...
  7. Interact with Desktop using Project Spartan...

in Browsers and Email
    Interact with Desktop using Project Spartan...: I am a developer who currently has a web application that calls a COM object on the PC that IE is running on. With Project Spartan I'm aware that they are getting rid of Active X which is the method we used to be able to do this. What I'm looking for is what is the...
  8. Learning to use Edge (Project Spartan

in Browsers and Email
    Learning to use Edge (Project Spartan: I am using Build 10074. How do I pin a website to the Start Screen? In Win 8.1 Internet Explorer, I could "Add site to Apps", then pin it to Start. How do I do this with Edge? 5905
  9. Project Spartan and the Windows 10 January Preview Build

in Windows 10 News
    Project Spartan and the Windows 10 January Preview Build: Yesterday, we announced that Windows 10 will ship with a brand new browser, codenamed “Project Spartan.” Designed for Windows 10, Spartan provides a more interoperable, reliable, and discoverable experience with advanced features including the ability to annotate on web...
  10. Updates from the “Project Spartan” Developer Workshop

in Windows 10 News
    Updates from the “Project Spartan” Developer Workshop: Today we’re excited to host some of our top web site partners, enterprise developers and web framework authors at the Microsoft Silicon Valley campus for a "Project Spartan" developer workshop to get an early look at Windows 10’s new default browsing experience as it rapidly...