Windows 10: how to change ownership of c drive to everyone?

Discus and support how to change ownership of c drive to everyone? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way to change ownership of the C drive to everyone? I tried right clicking, Security -> Add -> Everyone (check name showed ok), then set it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ealbers, Jul 10, 2016.

1. ealbers Win User

how to change ownership of c drive to everyone?

Is there a way to change ownership of the C drive to everyone?
    I tried right clicking, Security -> Add -> Everyone (check name showed ok), then set it to full control, and hit apply, but when I open a command prompt and type echo # > bla, it still fails??
    I can see its going to be hard being a developer on windows 10

:)

ealbers, Jul 10, 2016
  2. BigT1965 Win User

What are these files 1bccc6a55feb06465f27253b879caa54_f820ab25-4d51-4e20-97d5-18f9cfca120f

These files are, in fact, owned by TrustedInstaller. I can change the ownership one file at a time but there are 490 of them. They are located in the C:\ root directory so I can't change the ownership of drive C because it wants to change every file
    in the drive. Is there any way to change the ownership of these files as a group?

BigT1965, Jul 10, 2016
  3. Stone5674 Win User
    Restore ownership of the C Drive in Windows 10

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I experienced numerous problems with my external drive backups (Syncback Free). As a result I started changing the ownership of files so I could perform the desired backups. I inadvertently changed the C drive and now it
    takes 2 1/2 hours for my laptop to start or restart. In addition, my Outlook pst files are gone and I have lost all client emails and calendar data. I have done multiple system restores and it doesn't help, the ownership of the C drive is still me. How
    do I restore ownership to a default or change ownership back to what Windows wants to see?

Stone5674, Jul 10, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

You do not want to change the ownership of the whole C: drive. Many files are system files which are locked and or Hidden. These files are set to System as the owner. These files are locked or hidden for a reason. They don't want you to mess with them. Changing permissions on System Files may make Windows unbootable.

spunk, Jul 10, 2016
  5. ealbers Win User
    So, how else do I get the ability to echo # > bla in the command prompt from the root of c?
    I have hundreds of tools which all make dirs/files in the root of C, and I really don't feel like changing them all just because a new version of windows came out.

ealbers, Jul 10, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    I'm confused, why the need for permissions change in order to allow "...hundreds of tools [to] make dirs/files in the root of C..."? Very few of my programs need any help from me to install their stuff off of C-root. Are you wanting to force programs away from Program Files and Program Files (x86) and onto C:\[root]? And, have you been already forcing program installs away from PF and PF86 and onto C:\[root]?

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how to change ownership of c drive to everyone? - Similar Threads - change ownership drive

2. How to change a computer's ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change a computer's ownership: HelloI have a computer laptop with my Microsoft Account. I want to give this computer to another person with a different Microsoft Account to own. So when this other person logs in turns on the computer they can see their name and enter their PIN as if they bought the...
  3. How to change a computer's ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change a computer's ownership: HelloI have a computer laptop with my Microsoft Account. I want to give this computer to another person with a different Microsoft Account to own. So when this other person logs in turns on the computer they can see their name and enter their PIN as if they bought the...
  4. How to change a computer's ownership

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Lost access to C: drive after changing ownership

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost access to C: drive after changing ownership: Hi, I've lost Access to my C: drive after changing ownership to administrator from TrustedInstallerI did this because all my drives were set to read-only after a W10 update. I tried to revert the change but since the administrator user is in C: drive I cannot even access...
  6. Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership: [ATTACH] Hi, I am at my wits end, this issue has been ongoing for the pas few days and I have stayed up quite late to try and fix this with the help of some Microsoft Technicians online. I would like to thank the few technicians who were willing to help me over their...
  7. How to use cmd to reassign c drive ownership to trusted installer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to use cmd to reassign c drive ownership to trusted installer?: I've had problems with my when I fixed it finally from are saltine recycle bin I had accidentally renamed the C drive since then it will not boot how can I use commands to restore permission to trustedinstaller for C drive...
  8. Changed ownership of C: and everything stopped working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changed ownership of C: and everything stopped working: Running Windows 10 Pro. Wanted to change file details of photos on my computer to make them searchable by keyword. Couldn’t do it initially so thought I would change the ownership to give permission. I have thousands of photos and hundreds of folders so figured would do C:...
  9. Limit Ownership to Drive C

in Windows 10 Support
    Limit Ownership to Drive C: Hi, Is there a way to prevent Windows from taking Ownership of External Drives, and other Partition other than C: ? Thank you. 58095
  10. Took Ownership over C Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Took Ownership over C Drive: So I did something stupid and now my computer isn't running properly. Ever since I took ownership of the C Drive it takes over an hour, almost two, to boot up. Luckily for me this is the only problem I have noticed. I cannot revert back to original ownership (Trusted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change ownership of c drive to everyone