Windows 10: How to change registry keys to increase USB power to 500mA?

Discus and support How to change registry keys to increase USB power to 500mA? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I ran into this problem while on Win7 & found a fix (YouTube - ‪Apple Keyboard Hack - Fully-powered USB ports on a PC!‬‏) . Unfortunately, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GARoss, Aug 6, 2015.

1. GARoss Win User

How to change registry keys to increase USB power to 500mA?

I ran into this problem while on Win7 & found a fix (YouTube - ‪Apple Keyboard Hack - Fully-powered USB ports on a PC!‬‏) . Unfortunately, the YouTube video has been removed.

I use an Apple keyboard that has 2-USB ports, one on each side of the keyboard. The power limits for these USBs was 100mA on Win7 so using a mouse is OK. But, if I plug in a USB drive or better yet my Wacom Tablet I get an error stating the power is too low to support. I believe the ports need to be 500mA.

I don't recall exactly how the YouTube author changed the registry key value but he did & I used these 2 USBs without problems for 4 years. I'm having trouble finding the USB location using run / regedit.

Below are two screen grabs I used in my post 4 years ago. Windows 10 looks a lot different. Anyway, the USB I need is port 3 hub 7. Any suggestions how to navigate the registry key to that location & edit from 100mA to 500mA.

Port properties after registry editing.

How to change registry keys to increase USB power to 500mA? [​IMG]

:)

GARoss, Aug 6, 2015
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Initial Log on

I've forgotten the log on or miss type my password on my new windows 10 laptop, does any one know how to reset it or get past it? I've only had it 3 days and can't remember the password or miss typed it (I set it up late the first night and have tried
    every miss typed version I can think of) and now I don't what to do.

To Tired to Remember, Aug 6, 2015
  4. GARoss Win User

I found it best to discontinue any attempt to edit registry as it is far simpler to lengthen USB cables.

GARoss, Aug 10, 2015
  5. Since when is typing a few keys harder than going and buying a longer cord, finding an empty USB port (since my tablet only has one port this would be very difficult), plugging in and finding that it was no use anyway?

The location for a USB device path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor

I've got the same keyboard and power issue, and I've tried looking for that video too but, alas, couldn't find it. Knowing where the key is hasn't yet helped me give the keyboard hub extra power. Would love to know if you found a solution though.

topheranton, Oct 27, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Hello!

I have the same problem with an old Supermicro PDSG4 motherboard. It has 6 USB ports at the back plus 2 I have connected to the front USBs of the case. No matter which USB port I try, the power is never enough and it hardly detects any device. To make it see my USB hard disk I go to Device Manager, find the corresponding USB root hub device, right-click select Properties, go at the Advanced tab and click Reset hub. Then it may or may not detect it. I have to do it several times to detect it and of course this way I risk damaging my disk! So if there is any Registry hack to boost USB power, please do tell!

Here follow the computer's specs in case that they help:

Computer: Custom-build server system
    Motherboard: Supermicro PDSG4 (Intel socket 775)
    Chipset: Intel Glenwood 955X (supports up to Pentium D dual-core CPU socket 775, not newer models)
    CPU: Intel Pentium D 945 3.40GHz dual-core socket 775
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 667MHz (2x 1GB modules in dual channel mode)
    Graphics: XFX GeForce 7300GS
    SATA Controller: Intel ICH7R with RAID support
    SCSI Controllers: Adaptec 7901 Single channel Ultra 320 SCSI & Adaptec SCSI RAID 20105/Supermicro AOC-LPZCR supported
    LAN: Intel 82573V PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Audio: Realtek AC'97 audio high quality 6-channel sound (solved BSOD by installing XP drivers!)

PS: I have already tried to install different chipset drivers without success.

spapakons, Nov 4, 2015
  7. GARoss Win User
    I wish I could help but I haven't come up with a solution. My keyboard is the issue, not the motherboard. I liked the Apple wired keyboard used on an iMac & decided to use it on a new PC I built. The keyboard has USB ports on each side. When I plugged in my USB card reader I got the insufficient power error. Apparently, Apple doesn't support PC drivers for their gear.

I found a fix back when the PC was Windows 7 but when I did a clean install of Windows 10 & the fix was wiped clean. The "how to" video I used for Windows 7 no longer exists & I've been unable to find other support. Mac computers see this as a power hub, PCs do not. I believe the solution was to increase the USBs allotted amperage in the registry to a powered USB hub level of 500mA. I wasn't confident I could do this without more experienced help to do so. Sorry.

GARoss, Nov 4, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

I tried to replace all Intel specific USB drivers with the generic Standard Universal PCI to USB Host controller (Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller for the USB 2.0) and it seemed to work. I hope it wasn't just a coincidence. I'll try to plug my hard disk several times to confirm it and post again. Probably the standard driver has better power management than the Intel driver. Who knows?

spapakons, Nov 4, 2015
  9. GARoss Win User
    That's interesting. My USB issue is different in the that the keyboard plugs into the motherboard using a USB connector so the PC "sees" the two keyboard USBs as a non-powered hub & supplies less power to the USBs.

Hope your solution continues to work for you.

GARoss, Nov 4, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    If you are using bootcamp 6 drivers you might want to check the Apple software update. I was offered some new keyboard drivers yesterday. I've not got the same keyboard as you and haven't installed them anyway so don't know if they would help or not though.

11. spapakons Win User
    As I said before, I replaced all Intel-specific USB drivers with standard drivers in Device Manager. I can confirm that after several attempts my USB hard disk is detected every time! I hope it stays that way.

EDIT: Several days later and many attempts to connect a USB Flash drive or a USB hard disk, no problem! All successful! Once I uninstalled something that seemed to affect the USBs, but I kept the standard USB devices and deleted all USB root hubs from Device Manager. Then I restarted the computer, it found the devices again and it worked without any problem. So anybody else having problems with Intel or other specific drivers, just try to replace them all with the standard drivers.

spapakons, Nov 4, 2015
  12. asdfjkljkl5, Jan 21, 2016
  13. GARoss Win User

Outstanding find asdfjkljkl5!!! *Thumbs

The Windows 10 registry is a little different when changing permissions but in the end it works perfectly as the video describes. Owner tab in WINDOWS 10 is NOT included as one of 4 tabs as in WINDOWS 7. It is located ABOVE the 3 tabs. Select Change to edit. I typed in Everyone in the search field & then was able to check Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent.

I tried this & it WORKS! *Thumbs

GARoss, Jan 21, 2016
  14. wjuniorst Win User
    i've been trying this for a while but i cant find the 00000000 folder anywhere in my regeditor, im on windows 10 x64 (bootcamp), an theres only 3 folders above the one wherer i found the entry i pasted.
    Any tips?
    Man,

wjuniorst, Jun 25, 2016
  15. lmarback Win User
    Where can I download this driver? And how can I install it?

lmarback, Aug 22, 2016
Thema:

1. How to change registry keys to increase USB power to 500mA? - Similar Threads - change registry keys

2. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".: Hi,I would like a technician to help/guide me through the process of editing the "TDR values" of the GPU.I would really appreciate if remote assistance is available Thanks!...
  3. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".: Hi,I would like a technician to help/guide me through the process of editing the "TDR values" of the GPU.I would really appreciate if remote assistance is available Thanks!...
  4. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to execute a task when a registry key changes?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to execute a task when a registry key changes?: A specific registry key seems to reset randomly for no reason, so I've been trying to get it to revert back to my configuration every time it changes. But I can't figure out how to set it as an event in the task scheduler. submitted by /u/Gollsbean [link] [comments]...
  6. windows defender registry key change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender registry key change: hi, my windows denfender services become disable , not sure why. I already take ownership of registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend then change start key from 4 to 2, it still unable to change the key? any idea?...
  7. Registry keys registry keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  8. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key: Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've...
  9. Change Registry-Key with Powershell

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Registry-Key with Powershell: Hi Forum I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry: $path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers \StorageOnArrival" Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name Default -Value...
  10. Change Registry-Key with Powershell

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Change Registry-Key with Powershell: Hi Forum I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry: $path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers \StorageOnArrival" Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name Default -Value...