Windows 10: How to change the default location in the weather app?

Discus and support How to change the default location in the weather app? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I accidentally set the wrong location as default in Weather, and can't see how to change it! Anyone? 5796 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by imacken, May 1, 2015.

1. imacken Win User

How to change the default location in the weather app?

I accidentally set the wrong location as default in Weather, and can't see how to change it!
    Anyone?

:)

imacken, May 1, 2015

2. Weather app won't open default location when launched from Cortana

Cortana seems to think my location is 80 miles south of where I live!!!!!!

I've changed the default launch location in the Weather app - when I click on Weather in Cortana it defaults to the WRONG location!

How do I get Cortana to recognise my real location?

Gordon B-P, May 1, 2015
  3. How to change the default storage location for apps being downloaded from Microsoft App Store, Windows 10???

Hi Sean,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to try following steps and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows + R keys, type regedit in run Window and press Enter.

b. Locate the following registry key location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx

c. In the right pane, find PackageRoot, double-click it and change the default value data to the location where you want.

d. Close Registry Editor and restart the computer to save the effects.

Important Notes:

All previously installed apps are located in the original location and will continue to work without any issues. If you want to change the location of those apps and want to move them to the new location then just uninstall those apps and re-install them
    from Windows Store.

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
    more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, May 1, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Hi imacken, and welcome to Windows TenForums! *Smile

That's good question. With an MS account, I tried but it seems that I would have to signin with a different account to do so.
    Maybe with a local account the options are different.
    Sorry, that wasn't much help but I'll keep looking into it.
    Enjoy your stay with us.

Edwin, May 2, 2015
  5. imacken Win User
    Thanks Edwin. Really annoying having weather from Constantine Algeria, instead of Constantine UK!
    I'm just jealous of all that sunshine!

imacken, May 2, 2015
  6. Crashed Win User
    Go to Settings>Privacy>Location, scroll down a little, and you will see this:

How to change the default location in the weather app? [​IMG]

Seems to do it for mine.

*Smile

Crashed, May 2, 2015
  7. imacken Win User
    Thanks, but I don't understand what you mean. I see that 'Choose apps...' screen, but, what then?

imacken, May 2, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

I think he means use the location finder function. I'm having somewhat the same problem. Mine shows London UK but I live in Bamberg Germany. I have everything sync'd(always) and in the search field even got my weather but I will not stick after closing. The best version of weather was in 49 in my opinion, 74's unfinished(too many coming soon's).

Cliff S, May 2, 2015
  9. imacken Win User
    That's the thing, you can temporarily get it to show another city's weather, but it doesn't change the default!

imacken, May 2, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Exactly same here*Sad

Cliff S, May 2, 2015
  11. Crashed Win User
    I'm not sure, but I think mine is working because of this:

If you go to msn.com and sign in, then click on the weather icon,
    (in the red box) it will take you here,

then you click on either the tear drop or down arrow,
    (in the red box). The tear drop is supposed to locate you automatically,
    but it didn't work so good for me. The down arrow opens a sub-menu,
    where you can custom set your location, which is what
    I had to do. I think the weather app then somehow
    ties into your msn account for the info.

Crashed, May 2, 2015
  12. imacken Win User
    Doesn't work for me. My location is set correctly on msn.com, but it doesn't carry over to Windows 10!

imacken, May 2, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

@Crashed, I just tried it but no-go for me...*Sad but thanks for posting. I think it has to do with favorites that says coning soon. It worked perfectly in 10049 but I guess they want/need to do some tweaking. I have even checked store for updates but there aren't any, maybe one will come along soon, in any case I sent feedback explain the problem.

Cliff S, May 2, 2015
  14. Crashed Win User
    Ok. Sorry I couldn't help guys. I have a windows phone as well, and the weather app
    on it, somehow knows the exact same thing my desktop app knows. I thought
    maybe it all tied back to that. Guess not.

Crashed, May 2, 2015
  15. Edwin New Member
    Try turning location off then back on.

Edwin, May 2, 2015
Thema:

1. How to change the default location in the weather app? - Similar Threads - change default location

2. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant change default app location: I Recently installed windows on my new SSD, and i am trying to change my default install location to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt...
  3. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change default app location: I Recently installed windows on my new SSD, and i am trying to change my default install location to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt...
  4. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing default app location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing default app location.: I have Game Pass and want to install a few games, however, when I choose to change the default app location in Windows it mentions it will have to remove existing apps on the other drive. C: Is my OS Drive and has all my game modifications on it, D: However is for Steam and...
  6. Changing default app location.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default app location.: I have Game Pass and want to install a few games, however, when I choose to change the default app location in Windows it mentions it will have to remove existing apps on the other drive. C: Is my OS Drive and has all my game modifications on it, D: However is for Steam and...
  7. Can't change default apps location

Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  8. How to change default app installation location?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change default app installation location?: Please someone tell me how to change default app installation location. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-app-installation-location/c1cf08e2-1608-400a-a055-38938e1ca8da
  9. Changing default save location for apps

Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...
  10. Change Default Weather Location on Edge Home Page

in Browsers and Email
    Change Default Weather Location on Edge Home Page: I have Win 10 V.1607. The default weather location on the Edge Home Page is Sidmouth, Devon. I do not live anywhere near there so I don't know how this has happened. If I go to edit on the weather app and change manually to my location and save it will change but if I close...