Windows 10: How to change the initial account used to set up Windows 10.

Discus and support How to change the initial account used to set up Windows 10. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I set up my new laptop, for some reason I used the wrong Microsoft account. Now 1) my laptop is associated with my son's Microsoft account and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ArielBalter, Jul 5, 2018.

1. How to change the initial account used to set up Windows 10.

When I set up my new laptop, for some reason I used the wrong Microsoft account. Now 1) my laptop is associated with my son's Microsoft account and subject to screen time limitations and 2) I can't joint the insider program using my true Microsoft account.

How do I change the main account without having to create a new account and rebuild all the desktop applications and settings?

I tried creating a 2nd admin account and using that one to make the change to the initial account, but I could not do that.

:)

ArielBalter, Jul 5, 2018
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Oct 29, 2018
  3. abalter Win User
    How to change the initial account used to set up Windows 10.

When I set up my new laptop, for some reason I used the wrong Microsoft account. Now 1) my laptop is associated with my son's Microsoft account and subject to screen time limitations and 2) I can't joint the insider program using my true Microsoft account.

How do I change the main account without having to create a new account and rebuild all the desktop applications and settings?

I tried creating a 2nd admin account and using that one to make the change to the initial account, but I could not do that.

abalter, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown How to change the initial account used to set up Windows 10. :(

Zakin, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change the initial account used to set up Windows 10. - Similar Threads - change initial account

2. How to Set Up Internet Connection Using Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Set Up Internet Connection Using Windows 10: Wireless networks are present almost everywhere to keep us connected to the internet without using cables. The good part is if you are a Windows 10 user you can connect to an available Wi-Fi connection in different ways. Whether you are setting up a new device, using your...
  3. How to set up a Passwordless User Account on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to set up a Passwordless User Account on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft is constantly making changes to the sign-in experience of Windows 10. It indirectly makes it easy to be accessed and more secure in many ways. With Windows 10 v1903, Microsoft is bringing in a password-less User Accounts authentication. This [...]...
  4. Set up account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set up account: How do I set up a local administrator account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-account/acfac99c-4589-44eb-b7a8-60faae4ffaac
  5. How to set up a new microsoft account on a used computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to set up a new microsoft account on a used computer: I gave my laptop to my son and we're having issues with Microsoft. Can he set up his own account on that computer so it doesn't affect my laptop?...
  6. How do I set up account on used computer?

How do I set up account on used computer?: How do i set up windows 10 on used computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/how-do-i-set-up-account-on-used-computer/583818b1-0441-48dd-a596-8726dcc6df8b
  7. How to change the initial account used to set up Windows 10.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change the initial account used to set up Windows 10.: When I set up my new laptop, for some reason I used the wrong Microsoft account. Now 1) my laptop is associated with my son's Microsoft account and subject to screen time limitations and 2) I can't joint the insider program using my true Microsoft account. How do I change...
  8. How to change the initial login screen

How to change the initial login screen: They are often changing the initial login screen which is most annoying when the put up a pic that I do not like. Can we stop them form doing that?*Mad 68204
  9. Setting up 'Childs' accounts without using emails?

Setting up 'Childs' accounts without using emails?: I am setting up a laptop with Windows 10 Pro for use by my 4 & 6-year-old niece and nephew. I will have a local admin account - it will not be associated with any kind of 'Microsoft' account/email. I want each of them to have their own logins. I have read GREAT things...
  10. Issues using Settings / Accounts Windows 10

Issues using Settings / Accounts Windows 10: I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 without any initial problems, however I have now noticed that I cannot access the sign in options on the Settings / Accounts screen. All I get is the dots moving accross the screen. I also cannot sign into my Microsoft Account,...