Windows 10: How to change the language in the start up?

Discus and support How to change the language in the start up? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This may be a bit of a silly question, and for that I apologize, but I was wondering how you change the language in the start up? Like when the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rayzer, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Rayzer Win User

How to change the language in the start up?

This may be a bit of a silly question, and for that I apologize, but I was wondering how you change the language in the start up? Like when the computer is shutting down/turning on, when you wake it up from sleep and enter a PIN, etc.

When I was picking the language in the initial start up, I accidentally chose French because the touchpad was really grippy. I've changed the language back to English for when I'm actually using the computer, but the start up and lock screens are still in French.

I apologize if I'm not posting this in the right place. Any help would be great!

:)

Rayzer, Dec 17, 2015

2. How to change the diaply language in Windows 10.

Hello Ina,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

You need to download the language pack from the settings page to set a display language of your choice. If the language pack is not downloaded and is not set ad default, you will not be able to see the effective changes in the language settings of
    the display, speech or keyboard.

Set the display language by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Settings and select the top most search result.

• Select Time & Language from the options shown in the window.

• Click on Region & Language from the left side panel and check if the
      Country or Region is set to your location.

• If not set, select the appropriate location from the drop down bar.

• From the same page, click on Add a Language under
      Languages.

• Select the language you want to add from the options.

• Click on the recently added language and click on
      Options
      . Download the Language Pack, Speech and
      Keyboard language from the window.

• After the download is complete, go to the
      Region & language
      window, select the recently downloaded language and click on
      Set as Default.

• Close the page and check if the changes are effective.

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Ina Tomsa Win User
    How to change the diaply language in Windows 10.

original title: Language display

How can Ichange the display languageafterupgradefrom Windows7 toWindows 10?

I putmy regionbut stilldid not changethe display language.

Ina Tomsa, Dec 17, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Go to Settings -> Time & language -> Region & Language and then change to the language that you want.

Of course, I've indicated the menu items in English but they will be in French for you.

philc43, Dec 18, 2015
  5. Rayzer Win User
    Thanks, but I had done this already and like I said, most of the UI is in English now, but the start up and lock screens are still French.

Rayzer, Dec 18, 2015
  6. Rayzer Win User
    I found the solution here for anyone else having this problem:

language on lock screen windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Solution is posted by kknjap:

I also faced similar problem, but I solved it by changing language and region setting under control panel as follow:
    First, set English (United States) as preferred system language.
    Control Panel> Clock, Language, and Region> Language> Advanced settings> Override for Windows display language> choose English (United States) and save
    Second, go to Administrative tab under Region and press the Copy settings button.
    Control Panel> Clock, Language, and Region> Region> Administrative> Copy settings
    Then, check the Welcome screen and system accounts with “Â mark” and click “OK”.
    Finally, restart the PC.
    Now, you can see that the lock screen language has been changed to English (United States).

Rayzer, Dec 20, 2015
  7. philc43 Win User
    Well done @Rayzer! Thank you for sharing the solution. If you also mark the thread as solved you it will alert others to the solution.

philc43, Dec 20, 2015
  8. ragnor Win User

Doing all this doesn't solve the problem completely, at least to me.
    When searching in the start menu for settings, they still appear in the old language instead of the new one, and then nothing happens if you click there.
    Is that also happening to you?

ragnor, Apr 7, 2016
  9. sueiskra Win User
    Just adding thanks as this solved the problem I had after my laptop was repaired in Hong Kong and the start up language was Chinese.

sueiskra, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change the language in the start up? - Similar Threads - change language start

2. Screen saver/start up is in a foreign language, how do i change to english ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen saver/start up is in a foreign language, how do i change to english ?: We bought a new computer & it has Windows 11, the screen saver/start up screen, is in a different language german I think to the rest of the programs english, how do I change it to english ?...
  3. Screen saver/start up is in a foreign language, how do i change to english ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen saver/start up is in a foreign language, how do i change to english ?: We bought a new computer & it has Windows 11, the screen saver/start up screen, is in a different language german I think to the rest of the programs english, how do I change it to english ?...
  4. Other user as a start up page after changing the language of the system

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Other user as a start up page after changing the language of the system: Hello everyone,So I recently took a laptop from a colleague who used windows in Russian. I decided to switch the language to English, but after the pc restarted I could not log in to the device. I cannot find my user profile.I think this has to with the fact that by switching...
  5. start menu language change

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu language change: Hello, I just bought a new laptop from korea where i live but would like it all in english. I have managed to get nearly everything switched over but the start menu still has features on korean and so does the welcome screen before i sign into the computer. Just...
  6. How to change language for this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change language for this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jojojohannn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g63om3/how_to_change_language_for_this/
  7. Start Menu Language Won't Change

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Language Won't Change: Hi y'all I recently decided to change my entire PC display language to English, since I'm not a native it's good for practicing purposes, as well as for getting support online (most guides and tutorials are in English). I changed the display language in the Settings,...
  8. Can't Change Start Menu Language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Change Start Menu Language: I changed the language. But still can't change some parts of the start menu. [ATTACH] As you can see, I wrote "language" to the search bar and the result is in "Turkish" (previous language). And also I can't open anything by click on them. So I want them "English" too....
  9. how to change language ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change language ?: I d'ont speak English but only french. I thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-language/d88298fd-de48-45b0-adee-3f5f1d1a6336
  10. How to change the language

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change the language: During installing W10, I clicked the wrong language, making some squares in Start Menu are labelled with language which I cannot read. How do I change to the right language? 19369