Windows 10: How to change to manage wifi profiles specific to user login

Discus and support How to change to manage wifi profiles specific to user login in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Problem windows 10 by default saves / remembers wifi profiles across all users … rather than by user login or specific to a user login … I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lotty, Aug 13, 2017.

1. lotty Win User

How to change to manage wifi profiles specific to user login

Problem
    windows 10 by default saves / remembers wifi profiles across all users … rather than by user login or specific to a user login … I have multiple SSIDs .. each SSID is mapped to separate vlan and router allows traffic based on vlan .. for example one vlan blocks youtube and other vlan allows

Other info
    Running W10 on surface pro and surface book .. use local user accounts .. not a domain / AD setup

Goal
    wifi connections / profiles to be remembered by user profile rather than by device. So a login to a local user account would only look to the wifi profiles saved/managed specifically for that user account … and if current user login each session (could toggle back and forth) W10 would toggle appropriate SSID for each user

Possibilities
    Command line using NETSH .. or powershell to change network type to user specific. Researching this topic I found steps to do this in W7 and apparently W7 used to have UI manage wireless networks were this field was exposed and could be toggled but removed in W10 .. guessing the attribute on the wifi profile record is still there and could be set or changed with proper syntax.

Login script, seems less desirable but its possible a script to block access by user to specific SSIDs .. so the SSIDs would continue to store and remember for all SSIDs at device level (all user logins could see all saved wifi profiles) but the login script would block based on user login .. just not sure how robust is the login script approach but seems at minimum to be more maintenance across devices.

:)

lotty, Aug 13, 2017
  2. lottytx Win User

Problem

windows 10 by default saves / remembers wifi profiles across all users … rather than by user login or specific to a user login … I have multiple SSIDs .. each SSID is mapped to separate vlan and router allows traffic based on vlan .. for example one vlan
    blocks youtube and other vlan allows

Other info

Running W10 on surface pro and surface book .. use local user accounts .. not a domain / AD setup

Goal

wifi connections / profiles to be remembered by user profile rather than by device. So a login to a local user account would only look to the wifi profiles saved/managed specifically for that user account … and if current user login each session (could
    toggle back and forth) W10 would toggle appropriate SSID for each user

Possibilities

Command line using NETSH .. or powershell to change network type to user specific. Researching this topic I found steps to do this in W7 and apparently W7 used to have UI manage wireless networks were this field was exposed and could be toggled but removed
    in W10 .. guessing the attribute on the wifi profile record is still there and could be set or changed with proper syntax.

Login script, seems less desirable but its possible a script to block access by user to specific SSIDs .. so the SSIDs would continue to store and remember for all SSIDs at device level (all user logins could see all saved wifi profiles) but the login script
    would block based on user login .. just not sure how robust is the login script approach but seems at minimum to be more maintenance across devices.

lottytx, Aug 13, 2017
  3. How to change to manage wifi profiles specific to user login

Hello,

We suggest that you post your concern regarding managing WiFi profiles on
    Microsoft TechNet forum
    to get assistance from the experts. TechNet is a community of developers and well experienced technology practitioners.

Don’t hesitate to inform us if you have any other concerns.

Regile Reb, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Delphia4 Win User

I don't have better idea on that. But if you need to set up wifi router I can help you.Thanks!

Delphia4, Aug 13, 2017
Thema:

1. How to change to manage wifi profiles specific to user login - Similar Threads - change manage wifi

2. how to fix the user profile service failed the login. user profile cannot be loaded windows...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how to fix the user profile service failed the login. user profile cannot be loaded windows...: After resseting my pc, when the pc is done resseting, my acc is still on there but when i go to put my passcode in, it says "the user profile service failed the login. user profile cannot be loaded" thats after reset, can someone help me...
  3. how to fix the user profile service failed the login. user profile cannot be loaded windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to fix the user profile service failed the login. user profile cannot be loaded windows...: After resseting my pc, when the pc is done resseting, my acc is still on there but when i go to put my passcode in, it says "the user profile service failed the login. user profile cannot be loaded" thats after reset, can someone help me...
  4. Poor performance on specific user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Poor performance on specific user profile: Recently I've been having massive FPS drops in games, but only on my main user profile. I created a new profile and all games work perfectly without issues. What might be causing this, and how can I fix it? I don't want to have to copy all my files to the new account....
  5. Poor performance on specific user profile

Poor performance on specific user profile: Recently I've been having massive FPS drops in games, but only on my main user profile. I created a new profile and all games work perfectly without issues. What might be causing this, and how can I fix it? I don't want to have to copy all my files to the new account....
  6. Poor performance on specific user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Manage Windows User profiles

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Manage Windows User profiles: Hi,I have an environment manged under Azure AD Directory. We also have department of about 50 users who are forced to share their desktops. So if every user happens to log in to one desktop, the PC will create about 50 user profiles. This in return forces the PC to be very...
  8. Manage Windows User profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manage Windows User profiles: Hi,I have an environment manged under Azure AD Directory. We also have department of about 50 users who are forced to share their desktops. So if every user happens to log in to one desktop, the PC will create about 50 user profiles. This in return forces the PC to be very...
  9. Manage Windows User profiles

10. Login With Wrong User Profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login With Wrong User Profile: Recently when I log in with my Microsoft username and password, I login with an unknown user profile. Formerly I logged in with a user profile for 'Rankin Desktop'. When I logged in a few days ago, I got a message like "can't find user profile". That may be when this all...