Windows 10: How to change user profile without affecting windows updates

Discus and support How to change user profile without affecting windows updates in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, It is being a while since I have been dealing with Windows 10 failed updates. If you change some of the profile folders from partition, such... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ilargia, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Ilargia Win User

How to change user profile without affecting windows updates

Hello,

It is being a while since I have been dealing with Windows 10 failed updates. If you change some of the profile folders from partition, such as ProgramData or AppData you condemn the Windows update to fail.
    I like to have my drive separated in two partitions, one dedicated only for Windows (With no user files in order to maintain it static without growing) and another partition with the rest (Users folder and Programs files and data).

I've been working for some time changing again all folders location in the registry to update and re-changing them again. Nevertheless, this is not a final solution. I want to know and discuss how to cheat the system in order to update it with some configuration folders in another drive. I don't think it is so difficult, they just don't want to allow it, why? (don't know). In linux you can actually install the system and profile in different partitions.

Is there any way to do this? maybe changing some registry entries?

PLEASE: abstend to write those who think is not possible

Thanks for your attention

:)

Ilargia, Jan 14, 2017
  2. Makoffice Win User

Windows 10 (build 1703) check update, store and Groove sign in error code 0x800704cf

Hi, we have the same error on multiple machines after installing the Creators update.

In our case it seems to be user specific because when I sign in with a different user account the update is working fine.

Any idea how to fix it without having to re-create the user profiles?

I already tried the troubleshooter for updates but the problem persists.

Windows store is not affected.

Makoffice, Jan 14, 2017
  3. DerekHu Win User
    Windows 10 updating error code 8007000F-3000D from Win8.1

I have tried 3 times, but always get this error code 8007000F-3000D

------------------------------------------------------

Edit: The post below is useless.

The reason for this error code seems due to 'moving the user profile' location.

Before updating Windows 10, I had changed the User Profile Location from c:\Users to d:\Users,

This way: Change User Profile Location in Windows 8

So when updating Windows 10, I always get the error code 8007000F-3000D

After knowing this, i change back the User Profile as normal.

But , when updating again, I meet another error code 80004005.

I searched the post 'Error 80004005 Windows update for Windows 10'

Seems no solution yet........

DerekHu, Jan 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

I agree with the principle of separating Windows from data.

From the Tutorial section (do have a look):
    Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

and for interest:
    User Profile - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive | ZDNet
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...another_drive/

I have read a number of threads where people have run into the greatest difficulty having relocated folders.

Personally I would not run the risk; here's what I do.
    1. Installed programs create their own folders in the typical default library folders.
    2. Therefore I do not use these for my personal data.
    3. I wish to avoid the possible difficulties consequent on relocating folders.
    4. I use my own 'My files and Folders', Photos, Videos, Music, Downloads... on another partition.

Sadly, Windows does not allow separation of users from the OS, to me one of its biggest weaknesses.

Making registry changes as you are runs the risk of making an in-place upgrade repair install infeasible (a very useful repair method).

dalchina, Jan 14, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    That Ed Bott's article on ZDNet, you'll find my comment (and many similar) from the comment section. Bott, a geek I have some respect for, did something wrong in writing that article. Maybe it was a quiet day but ZDNete was pestering him to write something, maybe he just didn't know or care to check things up.

Anyway, that article used as a reference an article from Microsoft written in 2006 when Windows Vista was still in beta. A lot have changed since 2006. Bott's article includes some allegations no one else has heard of or experienced with modern Windows operating systems (8 and later), allegations that simply are not true. The article itself is so full of invalid information that I can't understand a professional like Bott let it be published.

My guess is, Bott like you have never really tested the process as can be understood from between the lines.

Windows 10 fully supports relocating Users folder to another disk or partition. Windows 10 updates and upgrades work perfectly normally when Users folder is relocated. Please keep on your mind that it is something designed by Microsoft, done with a tool (sysprep) designed by Microsoft.

Windows 8 and later no longer supports relocating ProgramData, it was possible and worked perfectly in Windows 7.

Relocating any other system files or folders is not supported.

My complete Users folder, on all computers have always been relocated since Vista. On this PC Users folder is on second HDD, partition E:

How to change user profile without affecting windows updates [​IMG]

6. Ilargia Win User
    If I change in registry the location of the user folder, program files, program files (x86) windows update fails

Ilargia, Jan 21, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    Yes, of course. Program Files and Program Files (x86) should never be moved, not with registry edits, not with any other method. That is always a sure way to disaster, sooner or later.

Users is the only system folder which can be relocated without any issues, be it update, upgrade or anything else. Only method to be used is the Sysprep method, all other methods to move Users will in most cases lead to various issues.

Earlier (until Windows 7) also ProgramData folder could be relocated but that feature was deprecated in Windows 8 and later. It is still somewhat misleadingly available as a pre-set modification in Microsoft's tool used to create answer files, Windows System Image Manager, but it should only be used when making modifications in Windows Vista and 7:

How to change user profile without affecting windows updates [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)
    Short: Only Users folder can be relocated without issues. When done, it needs to be done using Sysprep and an unattended answer file during a clean installation or when creating a deployment image on a technician computer. It is also possible to Sysprep Users folder, move it to another location on an existing installation but this will not work every time.

No other system files and folders should never be moved.

8. gipfeli Win User

Another way to relocate user folders (only after backup of personal data and a full backup as well!)
    First I add an additional user with admin rights like "test", login into this account and create an additional partitiion in my case e:.
    cmd with admin rights:
    robocopy c:\users e:\users /mir /sec /xj
    There will be an error that the data of users/test/ could not be copied. It does not matter, because "test" will be removed anyway later
    Second regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    Change to
    Default E:\Users\

DefaultProfilesDirectory E:\Users

Public E:\Users\Public
    Then reboot and login into your other existing admin account myuser

When the login works fine and the data are still there (only then, otherwise you can try to undo your registry changes!) you can remove the account test and all user data of "test" and then you can remove the old user-profile data. But all the old user-data on the drive c: will be gone!
    rd c:\users /s /q

gipfeli, Oct 25, 2017
  9. gipfeli Win User
    gipfeli, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change user profile without affecting windows updates - Similar Threads - change user profile

2. How to create a user profile without logging in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a user profile without logging in?: Hello,We are preparing a new Windows image. After sysprep, some user profiles should be created automatically and certain files should be copied to their profiles. I have found this command to create a user profile "runas /env /profile /user:<domain>\<username> cmd.exe", but...
  3. How to create a user profile without logging in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a user profile without logging in?: Hello,We are preparing a new Windows image. After sysprep, some user profiles should be created automatically and certain files should be copied to their profiles. I have found this command to create a user profile "runas /env /profile /user:<domain>\<username> cmd.exe", but...
  4. How to create a user profile without logging in?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Repair user profile without rebuilding it

in Cortana
    Repair user profile without rebuilding it: It is possible to repair a User Profile in Windows 10 without rebuilding it from scratch? My Windows search, calculator, sticky notes along with the Windows button in Taskbar on mysecond monitor all stopped working. MY IT deparment wants to rebuild my profile but that is very...
  6. Repair user profile without rebuilding it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair user profile without rebuilding it: It is possible to repair a User Profile in Windows 10 without rebuilding it from scratch? My Windows search, calculator, sticky notes along with the Windows button in Taskbar on mysecond monitor all stopped working. MY IT deparment wants to rebuild my profile but that is very...
  7. Repair user profile without rebuilding it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Changing Windows Email Without affecting data

Changing Windows Email Without affecting data: I had signed into Windows 10 in my outlook mail. But it had some problem so I made another outlook mail.I wanted to sign into Windows 10 with my new mail without affecting any data.Is there a way?In my Setting < Info It is showing like this.....
  9. Unable to change user home profile path without issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to change user home profile path without issues: Using Cmd or PS, I'd like to change the profile image path for a newly created user, I run into some issues. Steps - 1. Create a new user using net users command 2. Get a user profile for the user by doing runas with any application so his profile gets created in C:\Users 3....
  10. How to Change My User Information on my Wife's Computer Without Affecting My Computer

How to Change My User Information on my Wife's Computer Without Affecting My Computer: My wife’s computer’s hard drive was wiped clean while servicing Geek Squad but Microsoft Office was NOT reinstalled. Her User Name was npepsilight.com and her email addresses are*** Email address is removed for privacy *** and*** Email address is removed for privacy ***. I...