Windows 10: How to change WiFi to private

Discus and support How to change WiFi to private in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I don’t know how to change Wi-Fi setting from public network to private.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mishel Orbach 3 3 3, Aug 2, 2018.

1. How to change WiFi to private

I don’t know how to change Wi-Fi setting from public network to private.

:)

Mishel Orbach 3 3 3, Aug 2, 2018

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 2, 2018
  3. change network (WiFi) to private

How to change public network (WiFi) to private?

RobertMeyer1, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Stud_1946 Win User

How to change WiFi to private

How to change the network setting (Private, public, etc)

this answer from a different Microsoft page worked for me

How to change WiFi to private [​IMG]
    Giridhar
    J
    replied on

• Microsoft

Accomplishments

• Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Stud_1946, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

How to change WiFi to private

1. How to change WiFi to private - Similar Threads - change WiFi private

2. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  3. Public or Private Changing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private Changing: Going nuts again! My puters that are ok with what is told on the net is correct. But, one is not, I click on properties when I bring up connections, does not bring a way to change the profile. 2004 must have changed something again. This is WFi which should mean nothing. If...
  4. Wifi Private orPublic ?

Wifi Private orPublic ?: I have a constant problem. My WiFi changes from Private to Public. I have several times changed the property to private but was unsuccessful. I need to sort this issue as it bugs me....
  5. Changing wifi settings from public to private

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing wifi settings from public to private: I have seen the same question being asked with the same answer that apparently does not exist: I want to change my WiFi connection from public to private. The suggestion I keep seeing is: On the right side of the taskbar, select the Wi-Fi network icon. Under the name of...
  6. Public and private WiFi settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Public and private WiFi settings: It's completely disappeared from the WiFi options in the settings menu. Does anybody know where it's moved to? Every time I update Windows it causes havoc with my WiFi by setting every network to public and I've searched everywhere. submitted by /u/PerryDigital [link]...
  7. changing WIFI from public to private

changing WIFI from public to private: win 10 is saying NOT CONNECTED TO NETWORK but I can go to YOUTUBE and every where else except in my own lan I went to settings....where there is supposed to be an option to pick public or private network BUT THE OPTION IS NOT THERE I have researched the internet inclubing...
  8. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  9. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  10. change network (WiFi) to private

change network (WiFi) to private: How to change public network (WiFi) to private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/change-network-wifi-to-private/10b6dbc8-f863-41b9-8f26-701ddb910a55