Windows 10: How to check/change my wireless adapter's lease time

Discus and support How to check/change my wireless adapter's lease time in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This was mentioned in another thread I started as a solution to my internet issues, but I have yet to get an answer despite asking about it multiple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 5thman, Apr 10, 2017.

1. 5thman Win User

How to check/change my wireless adapter's lease time

This was mentioned in another thread I started as a solution to my internet issues, but I have yet to get an answer despite asking about it multiple times, so here's a brand new thread about this particular issue in the hope that someone will finally answer me.

I have a Netgear ac1900 adapter, and I'm trying to see if the lease time is set to 30 minutes or something ridiculous, since every thirty minutes i have to waste several minutes diagnosing my broken wi-fi connection. It always tells me it fixed an unavailable gateway issue. I keep googling all manner of lease time issues and nothing tells me exactly where to go or how to find this particular setting. Will someone please help walk me through it?

EDIT: this problem is exclusive to my laptop. None of the other computers in the house have this problem. And I can't pop the machine open to see if the internet cables are borked because I don't know how to remove the battery on this ASUS model, and apparently neither does anyone else.

:)

5thman, Apr 10, 2017
  2. yqzss Win User

Physical address of internet adapter temporarily changes

My mac address temporary changes since the day I opened a mobile hot spot on PC. When I look up into command prompt window with command "ipconfig/all", there's a new wireless adapter called 'Microsoft wi-fi direct virtual adapter' which has a permenant physical
    address while extra information of 'lease obtained and expires' shows under my other adapters' information. I've tried to share the hotpot both from wifi and ethernet, and then this lease time appears both on wifi adapter and the ethernet adapter. Even after
    I close the hot spot, they don't recover to their original permanent states and the mac address will change sometimes later. After I update both drivers of wifi and ethernet in the device management and restart the computer, wifi mac address then changes to
    a new permanent one, while the ethernet adapter still keep the same (screenshot below).

Does anyone who knows how to solve this problem? And how can I avoid this problem if I want to use the hot spot function in the future?

How to check/change my wireless adapter's lease time [​IMG]

yqzss, Apr 10, 2017
  3. Permanent solution to => Wi-Fi doesn’t have valid IP configuration

Thanks for the feedback. The IP address your computer receives from the network changes or refreshes depending on the DHCP lease time set on the router. With regard to the DNS servers, this also refreshes when there are updates performed by the Internet
    Service Provider.

If the laptop keeps on losing this information or having a hard time keeping the IP settings, then we suggest that you update the driver for your laptop's wireless network adapter. For more information about updating the driver, check out Update drivers in
    Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further information.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 10, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

ipconfig /all from command prompt shows lease information like this Code: Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:23:17 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:23:18 AM[/quote] Ipconfig

EDIT I looked at your other post - the lease times above comes from the information you posted there from the "Wireless Report". The information comes from the ipconfig command though.

5. 5thman Win User
    So does that mean the lease is only an hour long?

I still dont' know how or where to alter the setting, to make it longer like that one poster suggested. If it's even possible.

5thman, Apr 10, 2017
  6. sml156 Win User
    Lease time should not be a problem on a small network, The only time it becomes a problem is if you have say 200 IP's and then you have have 200 IP's leased out and then computer 201 cannot connect until one of the leases time out, Even if there are only 150 active connections computer 201 may not get an IP, Depends on your router and how it handles computers when they disconnect.

sml156, Apr 10, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    If your having a problem just set a static IP then it won't need to renew

Samuria, Apr 10, 2017
  8. 5thman Win User

You mean go into the settings and manually enter it? I tried that, and an hour later the internet still keeps dropping for other reasons. The fix it recommends for that issue basically undoes the manually entered ip and whatnot, and then I'm back to having to fix the first issue every half hour.

And as I should've reiterated in the op here, this problem is exclusive to my laptop. None of the other computers in the house have this problem. And I can't pop the machine open to see if the internet cables are borked because I don't know how to remove the battery on this ASUS model, and apparently neither does anyone else.

5thman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to check/change my wireless adapter's lease time - Similar Threads - check change wireless

2. Problem with DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with DHCP lease time on mobile hotspots: I've had a problem with my Internet connection for a long time at least since January 15, 2023 and since I'm really fed up, I'm asking for help on this forum. When I share a connection between my Android phone and the computer, I manage to connect but the Internet only lasts...
  3. How to turn on wireless adapter?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn on wireless adapter?: So my keyboard on my laptop broke and i cannot enable the wireless adapter, i tried using the on screen keyboard and going on the control panel, I don’t know what to do...
  4. How to turn on wireless adapter?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn on wireless adapter?: So my keyboard on my laptop broke and i cannot enable the wireless adapter, i tried using the on screen keyboard and going on the control panel, I don’t know what to do...
  5. How to turn on wireless adapter?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. How to change DHCP Lease Time in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change DHCP Lease Time in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In this article, we will show you how to change DHCP Lease Time in Windows 10. When you connect your device to the internet, your Internet Service Provider assigns an IP address to it. This is a dynamic IP address which means it will remain active for a particular...
  7. DHCP lease time

DHCP lease time: What is the best DHCP lease time ? I stick to the default setting which is 120 minutes. And what yours ? 177138
  8. How to remove internet lease? Like Lease Expires, Lease Obtained.

How to remove internet lease? Like Lease Expires, Lease Obtained.: I've been having this issue for the past 2-3 years, thinking it was something wrong with my Proxy configuration, ip. The issues I though was the problem are like, "Windows could not automatically detect network's proxy settings", "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP...
  9. How to check wireless connection (for wireless printers)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to check wireless connection (for wireless printers): How do I check wireless connection (for wireless printers)? HP Envy 4500 series wireless printer is not printing from Windows 10 laptop. It USED to do so....
  10. Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically

Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically: For the past month the lease on the Ethernet Adapter has stopped renewing automatically. This means that when the lease expires it has to be renewed manually by running the Network Troubleshooter. It then renews for 24 hours, at the end of which the connection is again...