Windows 10: How to check/change resolution of headless pc /4k fit headless dongle

Discus and support How to check/change resolution of headless pc /4k fit headless dongle in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Folks, I have win 10 pro on a headless pc that has evga 1080ti that I pretty much use as a media server. When I rdp into it from my win 7 pro I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Toro, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Toro Win User

How to check/change resolution of headless pc /4k fit headless dongle

Folks,
    I have win 10 pro on a headless pc that has evga 1080ti that I pretty much use as a media server. When I rdp into it from my win 7 pro I cannot see any details of the monitor or change any resolution of the win 10 machine. Under display options there's a message that says that the display settings cannot be changed from a remote session.
    And from nvidia control panel the only settings available are the 3d settings.

How do I change the resolution ?

:)

2. How to get high resolutions (beyond Full HD) in a headless RDP session

Hi!

I need to run automated tests (using SeleniumUI through VSTS) on a Windows 10 machine and I only get the default 1024x768 resolution during a headless RDP session. Is there a way to get a resolution up to 4k using any (registry) settings, tewaks, etc.?

The Windows 10 system is running in an Azure hosted VM.

Thanks in advance!

Udo Neßhöver, Oct 26, 2017
  3. Keith-36 Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade from an activated windows 8.1 headless pc

Help please.

I really want to step up to windows 10 on a headless pc that I use as a home server running an the latest existing activated version of windows 8.1.

'Windows update' on the headless pc keep prompting me to do this but I have been unable to find a solution.

I am eligible for a free upgrade of the existing windows 8.1 OS installed on the PC but this option runs out soon !!

Can anyone advise me how to do this type of upgrade?

Regards

Keith

Keith-36, Oct 26, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

No you will not see the actual resolution of the computer, unless you check Display Settings for Resolution in the Settings Menu. When accessing through a remote interface, you only get the set resolution that RDP will allow to make it fast and very minimal on what will show on the remote desktop.

If you want more power to look at things, use either VNC or Team Viewer. They both have a lot more than RDP will give, especially that RDP still has huge security risks that have not been patched. At some point Microsoft will end up dumping RDP and going with either their version of VNC or Team Viewer.

bro67, Oct 26, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Question: What is a "headless PC"?

Plankton, Oct 26, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    No KVM (Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor).

bro67, Oct 26, 2017
  7. Toro Win User
    Teamviewer for the win !!

8. bro67 Win User

Good to hear. VNC is built into the latest Raspbian. I always use Webmin for servers, since they would not have any GUI installed.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to check/change resolution of headless pc /4k fit headless dongle - Similar Threads - check change resolution

2. Windows 11 Headless - not starting programs without a monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Headless - not starting programs without a monitor: Hello,I have built a fanless Windows 11 PRO desktop that is exclusively used for audio purposes. I want to use this headless.Being an audio desktop I have installed Fidelizer software which initializes as soon as the machine boots up. The Fidelizer in turn starts the...
  3. Windows 11 Headless - not starting programs without a monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Headless - not starting programs without a monitor: Hello,I have built a fanless Windows 11 PRO desktop that is exclusively used for audio purposes. I want to use this headless.Being an audio desktop I have installed Fidelizer software which initializes as soon as the machine boots up. The Fidelizer in turn starts the...
  4. Guide to run windows 10 pro headless please??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Guide to run windows 10 pro headless please??: I will be getting a new machine with I3-10100 no dedicated GPU either ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI motherboard 16gig ram and 4 x16tb drives. Mainly as home file server/torrent and stuff My house hold is filled with android phones,dells and chromebooks, in rare cases mac from work. Is...
  5. How to update windows etc on a headless machine.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to update windows etc on a headless machine.: Hi I am wanting to run a headless media server with windows 10 as that is what I am comfortable with. I have a few questions about "maintaining" a windows server without keyboard/mouse/monitor (after initial setup): I want to be able to connect to my machine and control it...
  6. ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM: Hi folks. Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days. anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers --small and very fast. You just run it from a webui so it works 100% headless - normally that's what you want a NAS server to...
  7. VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver): Hi there. provided there's enough "oomph" in your NAS box or microserver running a couple or even a few more VM's on these can be a great idea - especially if you only need to access files, do backups and run a few apps like OFFICE and some possibly corporate apps. To...
  8. RDP to Headless Media Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP to Headless Media Server: Not sure which area of the forum to post this, and thought the networking was probably the most relevant. I've built a home media server using a little AMD 5350 on a mini ITX board. I installed Windows 10 on it this week as I couldn't get my head around Linux at all....
  9. NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc

NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc: Hi there I know loads of people here use NAS boxes one way or another. I'm torn between getting a standard NAS box or using a home build Linux headless server for similar --using Linux LVM makes creating Logical data spaces out of multiple physical HDD's a doddle. NAS...
  10. How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server?

How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server?: I'll try to make this as un-convoluted as possible. I have multiple machines in my home. One of which, is a headless media server which runs Windows 10. This machine stays on 24/7 and runs various tasks, not the least of which is holding all of my media, and serving PLEX....