Windows 10: How to check for issues after a power failure?

Discus and support How to check for issues after a power failure? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This morning, the electricity went out for a second, and my computer shut down, then started back up when the power came back on. How can I be 100%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by hbenthow, Jan 26, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

How to check for issues after a power failure?

This morning, the electricity went out for a second, and my computer shut down, then started back up when the power came back on.

How can I be 100% sure that no important Windows files (or the registry or master file table) were corrupted? I'm a bit paranoid because my old computer developed a debilitating (and still undiagnosed) problem in which the hard drive would lock up at random intervals, and that computer turned out to have a corrupted master file table (although that may have been caused by the problem that caused to locking hard drive rather than being the cause). I don't want anything like that happening to this computer.

I've already run chkdsk /r C: in an elevated command prompt. Is there anything else I can do to make extra sure that there's no damage?

I have a very recent (last night) system image backup of Windows made using Macrium Reflect Free, but I think that using it at this point would be an overreaction.

:)

hbenthow, Jan 26, 2017

2. How to check for a hidden admin account?

first I think I have other account linked to this computer online but not at the start up screen how to check for a admin that has hidden vaults and I am always seeing thing I didn't do in my pc keeper and in task manager I want to start over with this computer
    but I don't want it to happen again and ow to detect other accounts used

Moved from IE10

Original title: my first attempts at a computer with windows 10 i feel stuck in 7

jehermiedimmick, Jan 26, 2017
  3. How to check for a hidden admin account?

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with the concern.

The issue description provided is a bit unclear. I would really appreciate if you could help us with detailed information about the issue.

• What do you mean when you say "other account linked to this computer online"?
    • Also, what "hidden vaults" are you referring to? What would you like to do with the desired admin account?
    • What sort of activities do you see in the Task manager?

If you wish to add a new Administrator user account:

Crete a new User account

To create a new user account, refer to the steps mentioned in the following Microsoft link:

Set up accounts

Do reply with the required information. We will be glad to assist you further.

Sahil Bali, Jan 26, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

Going forward, consider using an UPS with enough wattage to handle your computer center.
    "...I have a very recent (last night) system image backup of Windows made using Macrium Reflect Free, but I think that using it at this point would be an overreaction..." Not an over-reaction at all; I have restored my OS partition several times amongst my three computers over the years due to external and internal problems -- no more worries.

RolandJS, Jan 26, 2017
  5. hbenthow Win User
    I plan to buy one soon. Unfortunately, the power went out before I got it.
    But what if it wouldn't work right, and I'd be left without a working computer? (I don't have an extra hard drive to test out the restored backup on, so I'd have to overwrite my current hard drive.) I've never restored from a backup before (I've successfully cloned my hard drive using Macrium, but cloning and restoring from an image are a bit different).

Do you think it would be safer than just trying to check for issues on my current hard drive?

hbenthow, Jan 26, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    The only difference between cloning and restoring from an image is that you get to keep that image and be able to restore from it at any time. All you have to do is to make image of complete disk with all the partitions and a rescue disk/USB to boot and restore from. It also has a bonus of being able to fix eventual BOOT problems and restore image from SATA in IDE mode to a SSD with SATA in AHCI mode.

CountMike, Jan 27, 2017
  7. hbenthow Win User
    Thank you all for the information. I did a restore using the system image. It seems to have worked flawlessly, except that I am now having to re-do my search index (which is taking a long time).

hbenthow, Jan 28, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

I would also run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt. Also, look at Event Viewer for a few days to see if you have any new error types. If that passes and the PC works OK I would assume all is fine.

Steve C, Jan 28, 2017
  9. pparks1 Win User
    Could also check the Event Viewer to see if any problems were reported.

Windows is pretty well able to handle the loss of power. You typically wouldn't experience much trouble except maybe for losing a file you were working on that you had not yet saved.

As others have said, investing in a UPS is a good idea. If nothing else to ensure you are getting good clean power to your PC. I have used them for years. Just remember, they are only intended to run your computer for a few minutes so you can save your work and shut down.

pparks1, Jan 28, 2017
  10. hbenthow Win User
    As I wrote before, I restored from the Macrium backup, so the installation of Windows that was running during the outage is now gone.

That said, I intend to keep Steve C's comments in mind if this happens again.

I plan on getting a UPS as soon as possible. This is the one that I'm considering getting now; do you think it's good enough to use with my current system? I have a desktop computer, an LCD monitor, an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier, and several external hard drives.

Amazon.com: APC Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BE750G) - 750VA 10-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS): Home Audio & Theater

hbenthow, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to check for issues after a power failure? - Similar Threads - check issues power

2. kernel security check failure issue with VR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    kernel security check failure issue with VR: Hi there,I have been having an issue only in the last few days where I will get a bsod for "kernel security check failure" When trying to play VR chat on my PC. I can lanch the game and play for maybe 5 minutes before it lags and then crashes my PC. If I lanch the game in...
  3. kernel security check failure issue with VR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    kernel security check failure issue with VR: Hi there,I have been having an issue only in the last few days where I will get a bsod for "kernel security check failure" When trying to play VR chat on my PC. I can lanch the game and play for maybe 5 minutes before it lags and then crashes my PC. If I lanch the game in...
  4. kernel security check failure issue with VR

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. smart check failure

smart check failure: so yesterday while i was playing on my laptop the electricity went out my laptop doesnt have a battery in it and so my laptop turned off, usually nothing is the case and i restart it normally, though this time when i restarted it the system was pretty much unresponsive so i...
  6. Help! Power Driver State Failure Bug Check Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help! Power Driver State Failure Bug Check Issue: Hello, I keep getting this bug check error on my computer running Windows 10. This bug check will usually occur in the early AM hours and always when it's in sleep mode. This started occurring after I downloaded the 20H2 update back in November. I've been working with...
  7. Kernel Security Check Failure issue.

Kernel Security Check Failure issue.: I've been getting a lot of BSOD's with this error. I checked my drivers but I can't seem to locate the problematic one. Here's my .dmp files if it helps. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AslOlDw_PrCwmXzt3b97MYS4aknH?e=YutD0D...
  8. Auto start after power failure

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto start after power failure: I have been trying to determine if my version of Windows (1809) will do an auto-start after a power failure. Most of the info I find tells me to access the UEFI settings, but for some reason I am unable to do that through the processes outlined. There's simply no option to...
  9. Power state driver failure issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power state driver failure issue: I have had a BSOD a few times on my PC now, it started a few months ago and just had another one while my PC was in sleep mode. I used bluescreenview to check what happened. I'm not super tech savy so I don't understand a lot of this but if anyone could check my dmp file...
  10. Problems after a power failure

Problems after a power failure: Hello All, I have Windows 10 Pro on my computer. Version 1803(OS build 17134.407) OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 5887 Mb Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD...