Windows 10: How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries

Discus and support How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello, i have a question...(speaking of windows 10, compact os) how can i choose what format (algorithm) i want (for example xpress4k) to use it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cata, Jan 10, 2017.

1. cata Win User

How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries

hello, i have a question...(speaking of windows 10, compact os) how can i choose what format (algorithm) i want (for example xpress4k) to use it and compress my os binaries in that format? For example i want to choose xpress4k , if i just type the command : C:\Windows\system32>compact/compactos: always ....it automatically compress the file in whatever format it wants, and i want xpress4k. So how to make it follow my demand? Thanks

:)

2. Windows 10 Apps default location

I saved about 2GB by using the new Windows 10 Compact OS feature, which is only meant for flash storage and SSD's.

At an Administrator Command prompt:

compact /CompactOs:query <-- this will Query the system's Compact state.

compact /CompactOs:always <-- This will Compress all OS binaries and set the system state to Compact

/CompactOs Set or query the system's compression state. Supported options are:

query - Query the system's Compact state.

always - Compress all OS binaries and set the system state to Compact

which remains unless administrator changes it.

never - Uncompress all OS binaries and set the system state to non

Compact which remains unless administrator changes it.

Don Cuthbert, Jan 10, 2017
  3. computer won't reset

Go for it! Choose custom - then format the drives listed in the next box. Once they are all formatted it compress to one available partition. Choose that drive to install windows on, and follow the prompts!

- C

Charlie Klausen, Jan 10, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Open an admin command prompt, type compact /? and you'll see the online help file for the command. Check the information for the /exe parameter, and you get this:

How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries [​IMG]

This shows you how to pick the supported compression technique of your choosing, so you'd simply add /exe:xpress4k to your command string -- EXCEPT that this labeled as the default. So if you don't do or change anything with /exe:... you're already getting what you want.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 10, 2017
Thema:

1. How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries - Similar Threads - choose desired compressing

2. Compressed Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressed Files: Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to automatically compress all files on my pc without having to go and manually compress all of them. Please and thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-files/61cf235d-6333-4696-b2be-666b891dedbb
  3. onedrive and compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    onedrive and compression: I compressed my hard drive and by default it compressed the Onedrive files. Now I have 10 GB less on my hard drive than I did before compression. I believe these files are now local (the icon is the non-solid green tick which means locally available). I tried specifying...
  4. How to compress a bunch of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to compress a bunch of files: I downloaded the new updated Postal stp with 2 spin off games that run on the Postal 2 game platform. The new Postal 2 and it's spin off games take up 7.0gb of space uncompressed. Is there a way to compress all of the files down to fit on one 4.7gb dvd without using PKzip? I...
  5. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"
  6. How to compress PDF file size?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to compress PDF file size?: I have generated pdf's using rdlc and then combine multiple pdf files to single document using itextsharp pdfsmartcopy class. But my pdf size is large, i want to reduce the size of pdf. I have tried compression using itextsharp but that's unable to compress. When i upload the...
  7. Compress OS

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Compress OS: Im cleaning my computer, and theres an option in windows own disk cleanup utility to compress the OS drive which will save me about 8 gb on my ssd. But it keeps saying that regardless of how many times i run it. Any way to fix it? 128099
  8. Compress and encrypt

Compress and encrypt: Hi, all of a sudden yesterday some files and images had "two blue arrows" these can easily be removed, however when I download anything to C drive they appear again, After two and a half hours on the phone last night they could not give me a answer/solution how to...
  9. compressing error...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    compressing error...: Hi Guys, i am trying to compress the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder... i took control of it and when i try to compress it i get access denied...i am the owner and have full control... 125613
  10. How to remove Compressed Folder Tools

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove Compressed Folder Tools: Hi guys, Just installed Bandizip, and I would like to know how to remove Windows' native 'Compressed Folder Tools' from Explorer since it's greyed out anyway: [img] Tried using the registry tweaks at Zip Folders - Enable or Disable Windows Explorer View - Windows...