Windows 10: How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries

Discus and support How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello, i have a question...(speaking of windows 10, compact os) how can i choose what format (algorithm) i want (for example xpress4k) to use it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cata, Jan 10, 2017.

1. cata Win User

How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries

hello, i have a question...(speaking of windows 10, compact os) how can i choose what format (algorithm) i want (for example xpress4k) to use it and compress my os binaries in that format? For example i want to choose xpress4k , if i just type the command : C:\Windows\system32>compact/compactos: always ....it automatically compress the file in whatever format it wants, and i want xpress4k. So how to make it follow my demand? Thanks

:)

2. Windows 10 Apps default location

I saved about 2GB by using the new Windows 10 Compact OS feature, which is only meant for flash storage and SSD's.

At an Administrator Command prompt:

compact /CompactOs:query <-- this will Query the system's Compact state.

compact /CompactOs:always <-- This will Compress all OS binaries and set the system state to Compact

/CompactOs Set or query the system's compression state. Supported options are:

query - Query the system's Compact state.

always - Compress all OS binaries and set the system state to Compact

which remains unless administrator changes it.

never - Uncompress all OS binaries and set the system state to non

Compact which remains unless administrator changes it.

Don Cuthbert, Jan 10, 2017
  3. computer won't reset

Go for it! Choose custom - then format the drives listed in the next box. Once they are all formatted it compress to one available partition. Choose that drive to install windows on, and follow the prompts!

- C

Charlie Klausen, Jan 10, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Open an admin command prompt, type compact /? and you'll see the online help file for the command. Check the information for the /exe parameter, and you get this:

How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries [​IMG]

This shows you how to pick the supported compression technique of your choosing, so you'd simply add /exe:xpress4k to your command string -- EXCEPT that this labeled as the default. So if you don't do or change anything with /exe:... you're already getting what you want.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 10, 2017
Thema:

1. How to choose the desired compressing format when compressing binaries - Similar Threads - choose desired compressing

2. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  3. memory compression

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  4. Disk compression

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk compression: I'm using Windows 10 with a remote USB Seagate SSD drive that is password protected. My disk filled up. I used the compression feature in Windows to make space. My PC is a laptop. My disk is 1 TB. Evidently the compression feature automatically, file by file compresses them...
  5. How to create a microsofts .mun compression to create compressed .mun files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to create a microsofts .mun compression to create compressed .mun files?: Hello. More advanced users like myself are trying to inquire on how to create windows compressed .mun files.For example under C: Windows/SystemResources you will see many mun filesWe are able to edit a .dll.mun file but we can not re-compress it to windows standards.Is there...
  6. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  7. File Compression . . .

File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  8. compress

compress: I need windows to compress pictures when I have them in Outlook or Word https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compress/cad10348-601f-4644-95ff-2e9b81ee9ae3
  9. Compressed files_all

in Windows 10 Support
    Compressed files_all: A few months ago all my files were compressed, marked with doubble arrows. Now more than 20 GB memory is not used. How do I get rid of the doubble arrows. Files are to many to make it one by one. Windows 1809 (OS-version 17763.1039) 151236
  10. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"