Windows 10: How to clone a boot drive so I don't have to reinstall?

Discus and support How to clone a boot drive so I don't have to reinstall? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; yes I burned it onto a dvd. When I try to boot from it, I get an orange and white screen like my computer is overheating. So, imaging has (so far)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by imeem, Sep 15, 2017.

1. How to clone a boot drive so I don't have to reinstall?

So, imaging has (so far) failed only in the sense that you can't boot from your Macrium Recovery disk, although you say "same results" in post 11. You haven't been able to get into the Macrium interface and attempt to restore an image. Correct?

I mean---imaging may well work if only you had a working recovery disk. It should lead you directly to a Macrium interface if you made it properly within Macrium.

I'd redo the recovery disk. If it won't boot your PC, imaging is pretty much dead in the water.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 16, 2017
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

Try making a bootable DVD or USB flash drive of Kyhi's Recovery Tools. It has Macrium Reflect, and several other programs that you can use to do the cloning and fix booting problems with:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2017
  3. imeem Win User
    I fixed it: I cloned windows 10 HDD while i was on windows 7. It still gave me the BSOD like the above screenshot but this time, i used cmd from my bootable installation windows 10 USB drive and I used these commands:

(I tried it yesterday but it didn't resolve my issue, but it did today when i tried again).

After that, i started up windows 10, and bingo! it worked. Then i used minitool partition to do the partition and volume.

Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

imeem, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to clone a boot drive so I don't have to reinstall?

1. How to clone a boot drive so I don't have to reinstall? - Similar Threads - clone boot drive

2. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  3. Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot: I'm attempting to make a clone of a bootable flash drive containing the Prime Expert Emergency Book kit using EraseUs Partition Master. The clone seems to seems the same contents as the original, but the drive is not bootable. Cockpit error?Possible, but earlier I used Aomei...
  4. Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?: My Windows is Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. I have a Western Digital SN750 M.2 NVME SSD. It has my Windows 10 Installation and a Data Partition. I recently bought a Samsung 960 Evo which is a Sata SSD. They are both 1 TB. I used the Samsung Data Migration Tool to Clone my...
  5. Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?: My Windows is Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. I have a Western Digital SN750 M.2 NVME SSD. It has my Windows 10 Installation and a Data Partition. I recently bought a Samsung 960 Evo which is a Sata SSD. They are both 1 TB. I used the Samsung Data Migration Tool to Clone my...
  6. Cloned drive won’t boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned drive won’t boot: I copied my upgraded OS from a suspected failing 13yr-old Seagate 160GB (keeps crashing) onto a WDC 500GB using MiniTool Partition Wizard – How to migrate OS to SSD/HD, but the cloned drive won’t boot, it just shows a DOS screen with the letter j followed by a blinking...
  7. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...
  8. Cloned drive won’t boot up

Cloned drive won’t boot up: I am very new at this. I have a HP ProBook 4540. A diagnostic test said the hard drive was failing. I cloned the old hard drive to an identical new one using EaseUS. Everything seemed fine. I then installed the new drive into the laptop and this message comes up: BootDevice...
  9. Cloned drive will not boot

Cloned drive will not boot: Hi guys I'm a little embarrassed to ask for help from a cloning operation, being an IT guy...but this one has me stumped. Short background: Bought a inexpensive Acer laptop (R 15) Seemed like a great deal for under $499, great screen, good video, Intel i5. But got it...
  10. How to reinstall a dual boot cloned image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reinstall a dual boot cloned image: I am new here, I was wondering if you can please help me with this issue. I have basic skills. Recently I created a dual boot system with win 7 and 10, on separate hard drives. Vertex 3 and Samsung 850. I have created clones of each drive using acronis on separate hard...