Windows 10: How to Clone Bootable SD Card?

Discus and support How to Clone Bootable SD Card? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; anyone know if Macrium or other common/good backup/clone package can take an existing good bootable SD Card and clone it to a fresh one? do they need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cognus, Jan 10, 2016.

1. cognus Win User

How to Clone Bootable SD Card?

anyone know if Macrium or other common/good backup/clone package can take an existing good bootable SD Card and clone it to a fresh one? do they need to be exact matches [brand/speed/size] or near-proxy?
    thx

:)

cognus, Jan 10, 2016
  2. thatpaul Win User

Migrating from SSHD to SSD

How would one migrate a SSHD to SSD? The bootable files are on the 24Gb hybrid part of the HHD. Is it possible to combine the Hybrid part and the HHD part and then clone them to the SSD?

thatpaul, Jan 10, 2016
  3. g geek Win User
    clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

I think in 1.) you're giving me details on how to wipe out my Win10 drive, which doesn't help.

It sounds like I CAN clone a bootable MBR into a GPT drive partition if I start off with a completely empty drive. So if I go buy a fresh 1TB drive and clone the MBR drive into it first (partitioning as GPT) then I'll be able to clone the Win10 into it
    and have a dual-bootable system?

I'm also intrigued by your 2.) answer although it was short on details. I'll go search about "virtual machines" and see if I can get there that way.

g geek, Jan 10, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

I just use copy paste from explorer - from 1 SD to another or from ISO image to SD card.

According to here if it is formatted mbr you might have to mark it active but I never have and they always boot fine.

Size doesn't matter as long as it fits.

5. WildOne Win User
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

A stand alone FREE bootable utility CLONEZILLA might work for you.

Note : It works fine but DOES take a while.

Clonezilla - About

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 10, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    One of the few Macrium restrictions is it does not clone sd cards.

A good and easy tool to do this is win32diskimager.

You just select source, and target an run it.

Speed does not matter.

cereberus, Jan 10, 2016
  8. cognus Win User

appreciate the tip. looks like it will do the job

cognus, Jan 11, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    This works for fat32 drives but no good if you have linux partitions as well eg for a raspberry pi. Win32diskimager works well for this.

Re last comment of yours, I hope your partner agrees How to Clone Bootable SD Card? :).

cereberus, Jan 11, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    Thought that slipped through unnoticed (oops *Redface)

11. Molyy Win User
    Macrium, clonezilla, Easeus todo back free, of of them can create good bootable disc/USB/SD card. Just create a new one and save to the other SD card.

Molyy, Jan 11, 2016
  12. cognus Win User
    i'm suspicious of a couple of these suggestions; Android, as an example, uses Windows systems for a lot of tasks [very clever of Google to plan such and incorporate]. there are hidden files there that do not easily expose unless other utilities are used. I would imagine that to be true with SD cards used on other linux systems.
    so, my fault, but let me be more exact:
    Case 1: Windows 7/8/10-bootable SD Cards with programs and data. What package to use, and do the cards have to be EXACT matches, CLASS matches, and/or Size matches [assuming the total space required is adequate]

Case 2: SD cards formatted for use on Android [OSX?] or other Linux distros - can these be cloned using Windows and how?

if i had a range of cards I would do some experimenting but unfortunately I don't. have 2 different 8gb heavily used and not to be tampered with other than the above; 2 16GB, 1 32GB. And actually a couple of these are micro-sd using usb adapters, typically

cognus, Jan 12, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

win32diskimager clones everything for windows, linux or android. So long as receiving card is big enough it works.

cereberus, Jan 12, 2016
  14. cognus Win User
    fantastic.
    on my way to give it a go

cognus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Clone Bootable SD Card? - Similar Threads - Clone Bootable Card

2. Making a bootable clone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making a bootable clone: I want to clone my c: drive to an external hard drive and then use the external drive as a boot drive. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-a-bootable-clone/c1231084-ab3e-4156-a3e7-51b2959a3df4
  3. Can't get a bootable SD card to work. Read post.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get a bootable SD card to work. Read post.: So recently I bought a microSD card and put it into my computer with an adapter. Everything seems to be fine, but the thing I bought it for isn't working. I changed the boot list and legacy boot list so it would boot and then installed Windows 10 onto it with Media Creation...
  4. Cloned Drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned Drive bootable?: I have an SSD in my laptop. I cloned it to a SSD in an external case. When I put the cloned drive in the laptop it isn't recognized. How do I make it bootable? 161368
  5. Cloned Drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Drive bootable?: I have an SSD in my laptop. I cloned it to a SSD in an external case. When I put the cloned drive in the laptop it isn't recognized. How do I make it bootable? 161368
  6. how to insert sd card

how to insert sd card: how to insert sd card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-insert-sd-card/b093ae6e-7b9b-408e-82b6-d5dee16c5bee
  7. how to format SD card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to format SD card: how do I format an sd card in my laptop, win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-sd-card/72eb19ca-ec37-4493-b5d1-8d5db313020e
  8. How to make a clone disk bootable?

How to make a clone disk bootable?: My hard drive didn’t want to boot so I used Macrium Reflect 7 Free and made a clone of the hard drive to a USB external drive. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to boot my device from this cloned, external drive. I decided to install Macrium Reflect 7 Free on the SSD to use it as...
  9. SD card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card: Windows 10 does not detect my SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/sd-card/cecf9cf6-ad80-43c5-8b57-3c0b84d4305f
  10. How to make cloned drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to make cloned drive bootable?: I cloned C drive to G via Macrium Reflect sector by sector but cannot understand why the cloned SSD is not bootable. What commands do I run to enable the mirror G drive to boot just like C?The hardware is MSI Titan GT80 SLI running Windows 10. [img] The G drive needs to say...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clone bootable microsd card