Windows 10: HOW to CLONE copy go to 1 partition of 5 pat's on destination HDD/SSD?

Discus and support HOW to CLONE copy go to 1 partition of 5 pat's on destination HDD/SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to CLONE my 256GB SSD Boot drive and wish to place it onto a 3 TB HDD. I have this 3TB HDD divided into 5 Partitions for various needs. BUT I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by axelrose1969, Feb 23, 2017.

1. HOW to CLONE copy go to 1 partition of 5 pat's on destination HDD/SSD?

I need to CLONE my 256GB SSD Boot drive and wish to place it onto a 3 TB HDD. I have this 3TB HDD divided into 5 Partitions for various needs. BUT I have one partition I have assigned 300GB so if will accept the Clone of the SSD Drive.

Will it clone only to that Partition considering it is a completely different drive letter than the other partitions on the destination HDD?

Is their special software or settings I need to make this happen?

And can someone list some free or nearly free cloning software?

Thanks every/all. Please ask me if none or some makes no sense.*Sad

:)

axelrose1969, Feb 23, 2017
  2. BossDweeb Win User

New system drive

You can avoid 1-5.

- If using a desktop PC the easy way is to clone (AKA - image, migrate) your Win10 directly to the SSD

from your HDD.

Cloning is basically copying the OS from one disk to another, but with this method the boot sector is also

copied and the SSD's C:\ partition is automatically 'aligned'.

There are several free tools for this procedure, but I've been using the free version of
    AEOMI Partition Assistant -

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

- You can also do a clone with a laptop (assuming there is no space for a second drive), but would need to

install the SSD into an external HDD case for connection via USB ( or e-SATA if available ).

You would then install the SSD into the machine after the cloning processes is completed.

- Cloning is a non-destructive procedure, so should the first attempt fail, or become corrupt somehow,

you only have to do it again from your original source HDD.

BossDweeb, Feb 23, 2017
  3. cloneing a drive in windows 10

Hi,I have this question last year,but my os is windows 8.there are my steps of

How to clone drive in winodws

,you can check.hope that helps

First,I download a free tool of MiniTool partition wizard and launch it.

Step 1. Connect SSD to Windows 8. Install and launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, select the source hard drive and then choose “Copy

Step 2. Select a disk to copy the source disk. Here you are expected to choose the SSD (we choose disk 3).

Note: All the data on SSD will be destroyed, so make sure you have done backup in advance. You are allowed to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, as long as it can hold all data in the source disk. You can also clone SSD to larger SSD by using MiniTool
    Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Step 3. Review the changes you are going to make and also change the copy options if necessary.

Step 4. MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from the destination hard drive. So if you are cloning boot drive to SSD, you need to pay attention.

Step 5. When you are lead to the main interface again, you can preview the changes you are going to make from the middle pane. (Here disk 3 has the same disk layout with disk 1.) If you confirm these
    changes, you should click “Apply” to make the changes effective. Hope that helps

Areil.Bart, Feb 23, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

HOW to CLONE copy go to 1 partition of 5 pat's on destination HDD/SSD?

What is the purpose for doing the cloning? If it is for backup purposes, then you want to image, and not clone. The image will be in one file that you can store anywhere, just like any other file.

If you want to make the 3TB HDD bootable, then remove the 300GB partition from the HDD and clone all of the partitions of the SSD to the unallocated space on the HDD. Then you will have to fix the BCD copied over to the HDD to point to the OS Partition on the HDD to boot from and Macrium Reflect is very good for that (but you have to boot into the Macrium Reflect rescue environment to get that option).

NavyLCDR, Feb 23, 2017
  5. I want to clone my WIN 10 drive SSD 256GB to the 300GB HDD Partition in case my "repair install of windows 10" doesn't work correctly, then I can just boot to that fresh made partition with my most recent copy of Windows 10 on it.

Can you or anyone think of a better method??

p.s. I got Windows 10 via A purchased Windows 7 then Upgraded free to Windows 10, PLEASE tell me the easiest method to safe install without losing my pics, videos etc?

anyone there??

axelrose1969, Feb 24, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Use Macrium Reflect Free to save an image of the SSD to the HDD. Make sure to create a Macrium Rescue DVD or USB flash drive.
    Macrium Reflect Free

If something goes wrong with the Windows installed on the SSD, then you boot from the Macrium Rescue DVD or USB flash drive and restore the image back to the SSD.

Download the Windows 10 ISO file using option 1 here:
    Windows 10 ISO Download

Mount the saved ISO file, run setup.exe from the new (virtual) drive letter that appears when you mount the ISO file.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    It's best to not have two "hot" Windows detectable by the computer, unless you have dual or multi boot operations. By "hot" I mean two Windows that can be booted. Earlier poster suggested making at least one full image of your OS partition onto your platter-driven 5-partitioned HD [I would add: routinely make current OS and Data partitions].

RolandJS, Feb 25, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

For clarity, cloning overwrites everything on a drive, and you would lose all data on hdd.

Cloning is used to make it possible to change out a drive with a second one eg when first drive has failed and you want to go at a moments notice.

Image backups are where you put a copy of a drive in a compressed file like a zip file so you put it back in ORIGINAL drive or new drive if original has failed. If course this takes longer but this DOES NOT affect storage hdd in any way as image can be written to any suitable partition.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. HOW to CLONE copy go to 1 partition of 5 pat's on destination HDD/SSD? - Similar Threads - CLONE copy partition

2. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  3. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  4. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  6. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  7. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  8. How to clone hdd to ssd

How to clone hdd to ssd: please tell me how to change my laptop harddisk hdd to sdd without any data loss. through the cloning. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd/857c7761-b81d-491e-b669-9679f8b69e0c
  9. Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary?

Is cloning Hidden partitions from HDD to SSD necessary?: Hi guys. I have a one-TB HDD on my laptop and want to replace it by a 240-GB SSD and there are some questions about hidden partitions and other things. First of all in Macrium reflect, I see that there are some hidden partitions which I don't know what they are. The first...
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058