Windows 10: How to compare two files.

Discus and support How to compare two files. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; What is the best way to do a byte by bye comparison of two large files - Windows 10 64 bit. There is an FC command but when run in the Power Shell I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by machare, Jan 15, 2016.

1. machare Win User

How to compare two files.

What is the best way to do a byte by bye comparison of two large files - Windows 10 64 bit.

There is an FC command but when run in the Power Shell I think it wants to do a 'Format Custom'!

:)

machare, Jan 15, 2016
  2. ExcessPhase, Jan 15, 2016
  3. need a script to compare two directories and spit out files missing or different (to cleanup after onedrive mess)

Hi,

Thank you for the update and apologies for late response.

If your query is still unanswered, I would recommend posting your query in
    MSDN

Niranjan Manjhi, Jan 15, 2016
  4. How to compare two files.

Hairy Scot, Jan 15, 2016
  5. machare Win User
    Thanks, I have just tried that. Unfortunately it has a 2GB limit. The files I want to compare are Windows image back up files and are more like 25GB.

machare, Jan 15, 2016
  6. altae Win User
    Use a tool that calculates a check sum like MD5 or SHA. I use a tool called Hash Tab which conveniently integrates itself into the file properties dialogue. It supports various check sums. If the check sums match the files must be the same, otherwise you can be sure that they are not the same.

altae, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to compare two files.

1. How to compare two files. - Similar Threads - compare files

2. Comparing two files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Comparing two files: I'm trying to currently compare two documents with about 2,000 lines on both. I need the second document to have the exact same number of lines as the master one, with the same names. Placement doesn't matter, just as long as the lines sre the same and are in both documents,...
  3. Comparing two files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Comparing two files: I'm trying to currently compare two documents with about 2,000 lines on both. I need the second document to have the exact same number of lines as the master one, with the same names. Placement doesn't matter, just as long as the lines sre the same and are in both documents,...
  4. where to find deleted file after using "compare both files"?not in thrash bin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where to find deleted file after using "compare both files"?not in thrash bin: so i downloaded a pdf from chrome with the name PDF_trillingen it's one of my coursesthe problem is; is that i already had a pdf called PDF_trillingen in a folder in my downloads.I tried putting the freshly downloaded file in the same folder; and got the promt othat says you...
  5. where to find deleted file after using "compare both files"?not in thrash bin

where to find deleted file after using "compare both files"?not in thrash bin: so i downloaded a pdf from chrome with the name PDF_trillingen it's one of my coursesthe problem is; is that i already had a pdf called PDF_trillingen in a folder in my downloads.I tried putting the freshly downloaded file in the same folder; and got the promt othat says you...
  6. Windows 11 - Where is the "Compare Info for Both Files" option in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Where is the "Compare Info for Both Files" option in Explorer?: I have a requirement where remote clients need to copy/paste *.tar files from handheld devices to Windows via Explorer for FTP Transfer.It is vital that they do not overwrite files with existing same names. However the facility in Windows 10 Below - "Compare info for Both...
  7. Windows 11 - Where is the "Compare Info for Both Files" option in Explorer?

Windows 11 - Where is the "Compare Info for Both Files" option in Explorer?: I have a requirement where remote clients need to copy/paste *.tar files from handheld devices to Windows via Explorer for FTP Transfer.It is vital that they do not overwrite files with existing same names. However the facility in Windows 10 Below - "Compare info for Both...
  8. Is there any easy way to compare files in File Explorer and eliminate duplicates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any easy way to compare files in File Explorer and eliminate duplicates?: I have a new computer W11 and downloaded my saved files from iDrive. What a mess! There are many duplicates, in several different directory trees that seem to have been created out of nowhere. I don't know if these are exact duplicates, but can't take the chance that they are...
  9. Is there any easy way to compare files in File Explorer and eliminate duplicates?

Is there any easy way to compare files in File Explorer and eliminate duplicates?: I have a new computer W11 and downloaded my saved files from iDrive. What a mess! There are many duplicates, in several different directory trees that seem to have been created out of nowhere. I don't know if these are exact duplicates, but can't take the chance that they are...
  10. compare file directories - windif?

compare file directories - windif?: I want to compare 2 file directories and trying windif only gives the choice of windif in the download and I don't see how to change. Help is not available it says when I click for....