Windows 10: How to Configure the Start Menu?

Discus and support How to Configure the Start Menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I haven't been impressed with configuring the Start Menu so far. I would like to be able to create new groups in the Start Menu, including the fancy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Steve C, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

How to Configure the Start Menu?

I haven't been impressed with configuring the Start Menu so far. I would like to be able to create new groups in the Start Menu, including the fancy tiles and be able to create my own shortcuts in each group.

I looked at the tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html but this doesn't work as described. I tried creating a group for all users and copying shortcuts to that group but some items are not shown.

I've installed Classic Shell which I've been using in Windows 8. This gives all the features I need and also still lets you use the standard Windows menu giving you the best of both worlds.

I hoped Microsoft would sort out the Windows 10 Start Menu following the Windows 8 fiasco. Has MS screwed up again?

:)

Steve C, Aug 26, 2015
  2. Pit Meinl Win User

How to configure WP8 to use the full start screen for tiles?

I do not mean the letter-boxing happening with apps that do not support the new WP8 resolutions. The standard WP8 start screen tiles does not make full use of the space available on phones with 720p resolution like my HTC 8x.

See screenshot.

Pit Meinl, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Entegy Win User
    How to configure WP8 to use the full start screen for tiles?

Actually, as I pointed out, there is a point as noted in the marked answer. You may think it's silly, but more people wouldn't understand you could scroll down to see more content. This design is everywhere in the system.

Entegy, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Steve C Win User

Any replies? I can't believe everyone is happy with the Start Menu!

Steve C, Aug 27, 2015
  5. I don't particularly care for the default tiles as well as the large size for some that come default and simply used the resize by right click option to not only shrink the size of the now many shortcuts pinned here but resize the shape of the menu itself. Unfortunately you can organize things in different groups and assign name to those but as for "fancy tiles" you first have to have "fancy shortcuts" where you change the default icon to something else you might call "fancy" and then see pinned there or found in a group you create.

For executable files you would first need to right click to create new shortcuts and then customize the appearance with the change of the default icon. Typically software shortcuts will tend to see that software's own icon in use. For shortcuts you find that won't pin to either the Start or task bar not having either or both option I noticed for the create new System Restore point shortcut you would right cilck to bring up the properties screen and open the Shortcut tab to simply add "explorer" in front of the target directory's path anc click the apply button. Instantly you can then right click on the now modified shortcut and see the option to pin to both.

Here I had a more simple solution for getting things organized by type in the Start tile area by first resizing the tiles and then moving them around a bit to keep like items grouped together.

How to Configure the Start Menu? [​IMG]

Have to free up some screen space! Never did like Metro appearances! *Biggrin

You can see the contrast there easy enough where the new shortcut added on once resized to the small setting was moved up with the System configuration shorcut. Web browsers - Edge, IE, the 64bit Waterfox packed together above media player shortcuts above.... so forth in an orderly fashion. The width of the tile section was then narrowed down when seeing the small size tiles arranged vertically to give things the old 7 Start menu type appearance despite having more things on the task bar and jump list type addon toolbars.

Not one 3rd party tool required for any of that! A busy machine without clutter was the goal intended!

Night Hawk, Aug 27, 2015
  6. tcman50 Win User
    Huh?, Start Menu seems fine to me, new groups can be added and renamed, any thing can be made a tile and added to the start menu, resize them as you wish, start menu it's self can be resized by dragging the corners to your prefered size.

TC *Smile

tcman50, Aug 27, 2015
  7. You first have to either unpin or shrink the tiles before you can do much of anything. With all of the tiles resized however I can easily scroll for the newly added ones when extending even further vertically as you would in 7 for the All Programs menu. No extra space needed for grouping names as well as the extra spacing in between the groups to fill up the entire desktop but a narrowed down vertical scroll.

From there you can go into the "Start>Settings>Personalization>Colors" to adjust which color as well as custom blend for the background.

Night Hawk, Aug 27, 2015
  8. larryk Win User

Happy?, NO!
    I immediately got rid of it and use "Start is Back", Now I'm Happy, just like I was in 8.0/8.1

larryk, Aug 27, 2015
  9. Steve C Win User
    I'm now using Classic Shell which offers far more features than Microsoft's feeble attempt. Hover on the Start button gives me Classic Shell and clicking on the Start button gives me Microsoft's menu so I have both options.

How can a company worth billions get this wrong again?

Steve C, Aug 28, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    I never use the "Start Menu" at all anymore, I can get to my tiles from the side link there. I kind of wish I could have that popup as a menu rather than a link, but ClassicShell doesn't list that as an option.

XweAponX, Aug 28, 2015
  11. Want a busy desktop? I'll show an older one as long as you don't crack any ribs laughing at it! *Roflmao2

Try Multi-OSing at the same time you are multi multi multi multi-tasking! Or simply keeping it simple like the screen posted earlier.

Night Hawk, Aug 28, 2015
  12. Maybe this is not the right place, but I am wondering if it is possible to stop the Start menu from opening after each startup/wake. It's kind of annoying and useless as it takes the focus from the last used app and thus prevents me from easily restarting my music by hitting spacebar *Wink

punchyrascal, Aug 28, 2015
  13. How to Configure the Start Menu?

When coming out of Sleep or Hibernation the first thing I say to people is "Hit the Restart"! People cry that things won't work when they come out of sleep mode or hibernation where drivers have also gone to sleep and need to woken up! Restart to see that taken care as well as see everything load up fresh again. That would be one quick fix!

Night Hawk, Aug 28, 2015
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    That's one of my bitches about Win 10. Since upgrading from Win 7 Have to restart at least once everyday. Sometimes after computer wakes up, sometimes after playing in Win 10 too long....I guess. Never had this problem with 7 . Hopefully future updates will fix these problems.

OldMike65, Aug 28, 2015
  15. Well I've seen too many threads going back to XP where people were always complaining about the same thing. When coming out of the sleep mode things were buggy! The fast and easy way to avoid any of those problems as explained was simply to hit the restart which simply refreshes everything in one shot!

Here depending on which desktop or laptop I never even use sleep mode but either leaving on 24/7 or shutdown or turn off completely. With the main on constantly even with 7 over the last several I had to periodically refresh things when something like Windows Explorer wouldn't respond or something would lock! Reboot and call it a day!

Night Hawk, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

1. How to Configure the Start Menu? - Similar Threads - Configure Start Menu

2. All the configuration I put into W10 Start Menu is GONE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All the configuration I put into W10 Start Menu is GONE: I had the Start menu in Windows 10 configured for speed and efficiency for the way I work. All that is gone in W11. When I booted it up for the first time it displayed apps that I didn't even know I had, favoring them over the apps I actually use. What was MS thinking? Seems...
  3. All the configuration I put into W10 Start Menu is GONE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All the configuration I put into W10 Start Menu is GONE: I had the Start menu in Windows 10 configured for speed and efficiency for the way I work. All that is gone in W11. When I booted it up for the first time it displayed apps that I didn't even know I had, favoring them over the apps I actually use. What was MS thinking? Seems...
  4. Start menu configuration - projection menu windows + P

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu configuration - projection menu windows + P: Hello, I recently reseted my laptop because my C: disk was almost full and I wanted to get rid of all unecessary files, I backed up all my files in a HDD, now I have 2 isses I didnt have before the reset:1.- Before the reset I used to press windows key on my keyboard and it...
  5. How to Configure Start Menu FOLDERS

How to Configure Start Menu FOLDERS: Greetings, I have found Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Start which lists the various FOLDERS available to pin to the Start Menu. This appears to be the DEFAULTS for all users. Is there a way to specify which folders appear for specific...
  6. HOW TO CHANGE START MENU?

HOW TO CHANGE START MENU?: [ATTACH] My start menu looks like its stuck in 2001, however when I click on Start Menu Windows at the top it switches to a normal WIN10 Start menu. If i exit it defaults to the older looking menu. How do i get it to stay looking like the modern WIN10 start? THANK YOU...
  7. Windows 10, Start menu and Explorer Quick Access configuration.

Windows 10, Start menu and Explorer Quick Access configuration.: Hello, I come from an Upgrade of Win7 to Win 10 Pro Desktop PC using mouse and keyboard. 1 Start menu: How can I create subfolders within the menu left or right in the panel? How can I changed the alphabetic list to a self configured sorted one? In Win7 I have had a very...
  8. Start Menu won't stay configured

Start Menu won't stay configured: Hi, all, A few weeks back, after what I presume was a routine update, my Start Menu was completely changed. It had a bunch of apps I had never downloaded, either installed or waiting to be installed, the tile positions were all different, and settings such as whether or not...
  9. Windows 10 1803 New Configuration / Start Menu

Windows 10 1803 New Configuration / Start Menu: It seems that with the new release, Microsoft decided randomly to add Documents and Pictures pinned as icons directly to the left rail when you hit Start/Windows Key. As usual, there's no guidance on how to remove these pinned shortcuts. Honestly, I don't know why they...
  10. How to shrink start menu ..>

How to shrink start menu ..>: Hi All Is there a way to make start menu smaller , since I don't have many tiles active It just look bland ... Thanks . [img] 16751

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change start menu background color