Windows 10: How to connect/disconnect to a VPN using the command line?

Discus and support How to connect/disconnect to a VPN using the command line? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I have several network connections configured. There is one wifi connection which automatically connects to my WLAN, another cable based... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EcoGex, Aug 22, 2015.

1. EcoGex Win User

How to connect/disconnect to a VPN using the command line?

Hi all

I have several network connections configured.

• There is one wifi connection which automatically connects to my WLAN,
    • another cable based LAN connection to a NAS which is used for backups
    • and some L2TP connection connections (used for VPN if needed).

Is there a way to connect to these VPNs via the command line (so that I can have a "Batch" File which starts or stops this connection)? I already tried to find something but havent found a solution.

:)

EcoGex, Aug 22, 2015
  2. GaryCW Win User

Using VPN Connection

I managed to connect to PPTP VPNs using the hints in this thread but I can't figure out how to disconnect from a VPN. I have 8 different VPNs that I have to connect to (one at a time). The only way that I've found to disconnect from a VPN is to turn
    the WiFi off and then reconnect.

GaryCW, Aug 22, 2015
  3. fuzzysdb Win User
    Windows 10 VPN and Split Tunneling for users, not administrators

Hello everyone

In Windows 10 when connecting to VPN it is very well documented that Split Tunneling is on be default. I don't mind this as an administrator but asking my users to have to either run some powershell commands or change advanced networking settings is not
    really acceptable.

I would like my users to be able to connect to the VPN and once connected they should be able to use the UNC path to get to the file server on the network. right now, they get redirected to a public IP address via our external DNS information. Using \\[ipAddress-of-server]
    works as expected.

How can I set up my VPN connections to use the internal DNS when connected to VPN.

Also, is it possible to create either a shortcut or mapped drive on connection that gets deleted upon disconnection?

Thank you for any help

fuzzysdb, Aug 22, 2015
  4. How to connect/disconnect to a VPN using the command line?

it might be that i need to install some additional windows features now i upgraded to 10 but previously this rasdial command line worked for me to do this

C:\Windows\System32\rasdial.exe "VPNname"

lucasrenzi, Sep 14, 2015
  5. EcoGex Win User
    Does not work here. Says there is an incorrect combination of username and/or password.
    But they are working if started via control panel.

EcoGex, Sep 16, 2015
  6. Seems the username and password saved in control panel isnt used by rasdial in command prompt. instead you need to put the user/pass into the command line:

C:\Windows\System32\rasdial.exe "VPN" "username" "password"
    use the same command with /disconnect to switch it off

lucasrenzi, Sep 24, 2015
  7. senglory Win User
    Tried this cmd but no luck:
    What I'm doing wrong?

senglory, Apr 30, 2016
  8. pmshah Win User

Thank you vary much. Both commands work flawlessly in Win 10 Pro last updated on 12th April 2017.

pmshah, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to connect/disconnect to a VPN using the command line? - Similar Threads - connect disconnect VPN

2. How to install using Command Line/Power Shell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install using Command Line/Power Shell: Hello,According to:https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/features-on-demand-non-language-fod?view=windows-11I have this file:Microsoft-Windows-Xps-Xps-Viewer-Opt-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cabI need to write a .BAT batch file to install...
  3. How to install using Command Line/Power Shell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install using Command Line/Power Shell: Hello,According to:https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/features-on-demand-non-language-fod?view=windows-11I have this file:Microsoft-Windows-Xps-Xps-Viewer-Opt-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cabI need to write a .BAT batch file to install...
  4. How to install using Command Line/Power Shell

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to install a Language pack using command line

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install a Language pack using command line: Hi,I want to know How to install a Language pack using command line in Windows 10.Eg: I want to install the Japanese language pack using PowerShell command so that it should install and provide me the language selection from the Task Bar....
  6. How to install a Language pack using command line

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install a Language pack using command line: Hi,I want to know How to install a Language pack using command line in Windows 10.Eg: I want to install the Japanese language pack using PowerShell command so that it should install and provide me the language selection from the Task Bar....
  7. How to programmatically connect/disconnect a Windows 10 VPN connection?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to programmatically connect/disconnect a Windows 10 VPN connection?: I have self-written app in C++ that needs to connect specified VPN connection on my PC the standard Windows VPN connection. When I had Windows 7 the app did this by getting IShellFolder pointer for the Network connections folder, then requested IContextMenu pointer for the...
  8. connection disconnects if i try to connect a vpn

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    connection disconnects if i try to connect a vpn: Hi, iam trying to connect through a vpn app, when ever i try to connect ping goes signed out then general failure is there a fix for that, i tried on wifi and usb dongle and usb internet cable [ATTACH]...
  9. When VPN Connects, WiFi Disconnects

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When VPN Connects, WiFi Disconnects: Thank you for taking a look at my thread.. This has never been an issue that I am aware of.... but... when I connect my VPN my wifi seems to disconnect. When I disconnect VPN the Wifi resumes. My settings haven't changed and its always been fine. Now I see that if I enter...
  10. Most useful commands for PowerCFG command line

in Windows 10 News
    Most useful commands for PowerCFG command line: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Power Configuration or powercfg.exe is a command-line tool in Windows which allows you to configure power system settings. It is especially useful for laptops which run on battery and will enable you to configure hardware-specific configurations which are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to connect to vpn using command line

2. cmd disconect vpn

3. how do i disable vpn via cmd

4. connect to l2tp vpn with cmd,
  5. windows cmd disconnect vpn,
  6. command line to connect to vpn,
  7. batch file to connect and disconnect from vpn connection,
  8. openvpn via cmd,
  9. Connect VPN using command line,
  10. command line to connect to a vpn,
  11. how to use open vpn through command line,