Windows 10: How to convert primary partitions to logical partition

Discus and support How to convert primary partitions to logical partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have four primary partitions (System, C: , D: , E: ) and some free space in my Win10 laptop. Now, I want to make create an extended partition which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sam781, Oct 10, 2015.

1. sam781 Win User

How to convert primary partitions to logical partition

I have four primary partitions (System, C: , D: , E: ) and some free space in my Win10 laptop. Now, I want to make create an extended partition which will hold C, D & E as logical partition. How can I do it without loosing data (i don't have a spare hard disk where I can backup the data).

How to convert primary partitions to logical partition [​IMG]

:)

sam781, Oct 10, 2015

2. unable to change unallocated space to primary partition or logical partition.

1) Are you able to view the unallocated 100 Gb memory space in the Disk management?

Yes, checked that before posting.

2) How exactly you are trying to change the unallocated space to primary or logical drive?

Open EaseUS Partition Master, highlight the unallocated partition. If it is a primary partition click on "Convert to logical" and if it is a logical partition click on "Convert to primary". Then click apply.

What about the question as to why, when I booted from the W10 ISO disk I was not given the option of where to install the OS? Thanks.

kemperhill, Oct 10, 2015
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 10, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

MiniTool Partition Wizard free has an option to set a partition as logical. Not sure how it would work. I would delete that HP_TOOLS partition. I've never used mine. But if you want to keep it, you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard free to move the HP_TOOLS partition to the end of the drive, and that would put the unallocated space next to D: drive where it could be added to D: drive - or D: Drive could then be moved over and the free space added to C: Drive.

Just curious - if you don't want to actually create a new partition, why do you want to convert your current partitions to logical?

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2015
  5. sam781 Win User
    I want to install Ubuntu in the free space. Ubuntu doesn't support more than 4 primary partitions. I want to keep HP_Tools partitions as well.

sam781, Oct 10, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You could also try the Ubuntu live version and see if it has tools to convert primary partitions to logical, if Partition Wizard doesn't do it. I would definitely move the HP_TOOLS partition to the end first to get it out of the way, though.

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2015
  7. sam781 Win User
    I did it using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Thanks

sam781, Oct 29, 2015
  8. XweAponX Win User

I agree about using Minitool Partition Wizard. You should be able to convert all of the partitions to Logical. I've done the reverse before, converted Logical to Primary so I don't see why you could not do the opposite.

Yes, right click on the partition in PW and choose "Modify->Set Partition to Logical" - Do it to all of the partitions and then hit "Apply"

How to convert primary partitions to logical partition [​IMG]

XweAponX, Oct 29, 2015
  9. XweAponX Win User
    Ah, already done? great!

XweAponX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to convert primary partitions to logical partition - Similar Threads - convert primary partitions

2. resize causes partitions to be converted to logical drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    resize causes partitions to be converted to logical drives: I was using the disk management software in win 10 to first shrink a data partition on disk1old C; operating system.Then take the next one over D: and expand it to use that reclaimed space. The utility did say that it would change the partitions on the drive to logical drives...
  3. resize causes partitions to be converted to logical drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    resize causes partitions to be converted to logical drives: I was using the disk management software in win 10 to first shrink a data partition on disk1old C; operating system.Then take the next one over D: and expand it to use that reclaimed space. The utility did say that it would change the partitions on the drive to logical drives...
  4. resize causes partitions to be converted to logical drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How To Convert To A CDFS Partition?

How To Convert To A CDFS Partition?: I've Recently Got A NEW DVD, And Selected It To Use It As A "Like A Flash Drive" AND It Created A UDF Partition, Every Time I Delete A File It Formats The Disk But Also It Reduced The Space, How Do I Convert It To A CDFS Partition?...
  6. How to convert a simple volume to a primary partition

How to convert a simple volume to a primary partition: Hi, I have accidently shrunk a primary partition to a simple volume partition. Now I want to recover my 764.54 Mb partition into my 1098.28 Mb partition. I have tried "Delete Partition Override" but I get "The specified command or parameters are not supported on this...
  7. Converting logical disk partitions to primary

Converting logical disk partitions to primary: My PC was purchased before Windows 10 and had the C drive partitioned to add data and program storage in separate spaces. I now wish to add the space from one of the logical partitions to the contiguous primary C partition. Having failed to notice 2 partitions are labelled as...
  8. Disk manager does not display correctly primary and logical partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk manager does not display correctly primary and logical partitions: [IMG]I recently discovered that disk management does not displays logical and primary partition correctly. Even more weird is the fact that partition named 2,3 in the right are not labeled logical. They're PRIMARY. I don't know how did it end up like that, but one thing is...
  9. convert partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    convert partition: hi friend pleas can you tell me about convertion of primary partition to logical partition my pc Acer win 10 thank's https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-partition/33bcdf74-0eba-4720-b6c7-dd816ea6b34e
  10. Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?

Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?: Hello, I have my HDD now in MBR format and I tried to convert it to GPT but mbr2gpt didn't work, I get fail to validate disk every time and hence can't convert to GPT. It's OK, but now I divided my HDD into 5 partitions just for more sense to category of files, each in a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. convert a primary partition to logical disk WINDOWS 10