Windows 10: How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?

Discus and support How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had been using w8 for 4 years and now I have switched to w10. I want to copy my jumplists of all software from w8 to w10. how can I do this? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vsrawat, Apr 24, 2016.

1. vsrawat Win User

How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?

I had been using w8 for 4 years and now I have switched to w10.

I want to copy my jumplists of all software from w8 to w10. how can I do this?

I have read that Jump list files are located in
    %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations
    and in
    %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations (pinned ones)

so, if I copy entire content of these two folders from w8 10 w10, would I get this transfer made?

of course I can just do that and see the effect, just thought to confirm with learned ones before messing up something.

Thanks.
    --
    Rawat

:)

vsrawat, Apr 24, 2016

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Recent Jumplist won't clear - External Drive folders lingering

I recently copied 5+ GB worth of files from one flash drive (EHow to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? :) to another (FHow to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? :), and afterwards my Recents jumplist on File Explorer is stuck with folders accessed from the external drives. Clearing and/or turning the jumplist off has no effect, and attempting
    to remove the item from the jumplist doesn't do anything either, providing no sort of feedback. I have also tried removing these entries from the jumplist with the drives connected to no avail.

Before doing this, my Recent jumplist functioned as intended, and I have not encountered this problem in previous versions of Windows.

Below is a picture of the issue (I modified the directory shown for privacy). The folders alternate between the drive I copied from (EHow to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? :) and the drive I copied to (FHow to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? :). For example, highlighting the first "f0" would show that it's from the (EHow to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? :) drive, and
    highlighting the second "f0" would show that it's from the (FHow to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? :) drive.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I feel it is something that needs addressing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? [​IMG]

Kimimaru4000, Apr 24, 2016
  3. New to W8 Win User
    Open from Taskbar using Edge?

Can I permanently pin a page other than my Homepage to the taskbar using Edge? I can pin a tab but the tabs all vanish when I close Edge.

New to W8, Apr 24, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

I don't think anyone has ever tried that, so you probably won't find an experienced answer.

Mystere, Apr 24, 2016
  5. vsrawat Win User
    while working on w10 boot, I tried to access w8 partition, but first it wouldn't let me access USERS, then it allowed.

but even then when I reached Windows/Recent, the the two folder "Custom Destination" and other one, were not even visible.

Now, I will boot in to w8, and copy the content of those folders to some other place, and then boot to w10 and move those backup to the w10 "Custom Destination" and other folder.

let's see.

vsrawat, Apr 24, 2016
  6. RWOne Win User
    I believe you will create more issues than you will solve trying to accomplish this.

RWOne, Apr 24, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 24, 2016
  8. vsrawat Win User

Thanks Brink,

the above seems to be tailor made. I have saved, not yet tried. Shall do tomorrow.

Thanks again.

vsrawat, Apr 24, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're welcome. Please let us know how it went.

Brink, Apr 24, 2016
  10. vsrawat Win User
    didn't work for me. I have posted elaborate reply in that thread, shall follow up there.

Thanks.

vsrawat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10? - Similar Threads - copy jumplists w10

2. W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.: For the noobs out there, I have found an time saving way create Windows Install media that is faster than the official tool.You DON'T need to use the official MediaCreationTool which re-downloads Windows every time when you create an install USB drive.Also, you don't need the...
  3. W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.: For the noobs out there, I have found an time saving way create Windows Install media that is faster than the official tool.You DON'T need to use the official MediaCreationTool which re-downloads Windows every time when you create an install USB drive.Also, you don't need the...
  4. how to going back to w8

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to going back to w8: hi, I would like to know if there is any way to going back to w8, I did the update to w10 long time ago but I need to going back to w8, thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-going-back-to-w8/b0da289b-852b-4b4f-9ac0-f9b5d7cd0a7e
  5. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  6. W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!

W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!: Hi folks. Not sure how long this will continue to work but the Free update from W7/W8/W8.1 is STILL working as of 16 Nov 2017. I entered an old Technet key for W8.1 pro on a clean install of W10 pro via the media creation tool. No probs -- activated with Digital...
  7. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  8. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  9. Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?: I'm currently out of the loop with a working W10 install and so wonder if this feature is included in W10. Its something I've only just started using in 8.1 and find it a terrific archive feature, even though I do daily image backups. Does 10 have this ? 6684
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...