Windows 10: How to copy files with reserved names?

Discus and support How to copy files with reserved names? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use an encryption & password protection program with an export function that creates file names containing "CON.". No problem if I just want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, May 20, 2017.

1. How to copy files with reserved names?

I use an encryption & password protection program with an export function that creates file names containing "CON.". No problem if I just want to export and import the files, but I cannot copy the exported files. An attempt results in an invalid handle error. I assume that is because CON is a reserved name in Windows. I can't do anything about the file names being created. A display of the folder properties shows 60,383 files, 117 folders. Obviously File Explorer has no trouble reading the nested directories - even with their reserved names. Is there any way I can copy this stuff?

:)

pokeefe0001, May 20, 2017

2. How to cancel a reserved copy of Windows 10?

You can also try the following:

Click the Hamburger menu in the upper left corner, then select View Confirmation.

In the lower left, click Cancel reservation and then confirm (twice).

Andre Da Costa, May 20, 2017
  3. How to completely reformat a disk with reserved partitions

I upgraded to win 10 on a new SSD, everything is working fine and I have copied the data I need from the old disk (its now drive EHow to copy files with reserved names? :)

E: has a D: partition - the old system reserved, no longer needed. E: also has a recovery partition which has no label.

I want to remove the 2 reserved partitions and combine them back into E: - and then reformat E:

Is there a simple list of steps to do this please?

Thanks

AlanSmith777, May 20, 2017
  4. Pyprohly Win User

How to copy files with reserved names?

Short of booting into another OS, you can enable the Linux subsystem for Windows and use Bash, but it’s CLI not GUI. If you regularly find yourself in the need to copy from this folder though you might want to do this and setup a shell script.

Pyprohly, May 20, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    You can also use unlocker to rename or move files with restricted names (but not copy them).

According to here you should be able to use the //?/ syntax but while you can create files with restricted names you can't then rename or delete them. Not sure if it is a bug or not.

Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> new-item \\?\C:\temp\con.txt -type file Directory: \\?\C:\temp Mode LastWriteTime Length Name ---- ------------- ------ ---- -a---- 21-May-17 13:00 0 con.txt PS C:\Windows\system32> rename-item \\?\C:\temp\con.txt newname.txt rename-item : Cannot rename because item at '\\?\C:\temp\con.txt' does not exist. At line:1 char:1 + rename-item \\?\C:\temp\con.txt newname.txt + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: How to copy files with reserved names? :)) [Rename-Item], PSInvalidOperationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperation,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RenameItemCommand PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]

6. I hadn't used Unlocker for about 4 years and forgot (or maybe never knew) it could move and delete files with reserved names. This didn't provide me with a solution for the questions I asked, but it provided a solution to a more important question: If I find an alternative to the encryption and password protection program I'm using, how do I get rid of all those files with reserved names?

Since you provided me with that solution, and since VeraCrypt does everything I need from the other program does, and since VeraCrypt seems to be supported while the other program (Everstrike's Protect Folder) seems to not be supported, I've switched. I no longer need the "export" folder full of reserved names so I deleted it.

In the process of deleting the files I discovered that Unlocker has problem. While deleting those 60,000 files with reserved names, programs with multiple windows - some programs using .NET to manage multiple displays, for example - could not have their windows closed, moved, resized, etc. I have no idea what the interaction is, but it happened on 2 PCs so I don't think it was a fluke.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to copy files with reserved names?

1. How to copy files with reserved names? - Similar Threads - copy files reserved

2. File Names copied from Windows File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Names copied from Windows File History: I am setting up a new Windows 11 PC. It replaces an older Windows 10 PC. Earlier, I asked what the best method was for transferring files from the old to the new, and was advised to use File History on a removable hard drive. Turns out, that won't work, and now I've been...
  3. File Names copied from Windows File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Names copied from Windows File History: I am setting up a new Windows 11 PC. It replaces an older Windows 10 PC. Earlier, I asked what the best method was for transferring files from the old to the new, and was advised to use File History on a removable hard drive. Turns out, that won't work, and now I've been...
  4. NirCmd: Copy Path vs. Copy File Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NirCmd: Copy Path vs. Copy File Name: Merging the following code in the Registry adds a "Copy File Path" context-menu in File Explorer and it works properly. Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\CopyFilePath] @="Copy File Path" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\CopyFilePath\command]...
  5. How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to automatically rename files with same name when copying files: Hi, I would like to know if there is some registry hack or something that automatically renames files with the same name when copying or moving. For example you have folder with a file called banana.txt and then you copy another file called banana.txt to that folder and...
  6. Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names: Hello, I am using windows and have the following situation: I have multiple PDF files which naming system is as following: 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1801 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1802 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1807 I also have folders that are named as following:...
  7. Copy folder or file names as a text file

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy folder or file names as a text file: Hi i have an extension called copy file names but doesn’t work very well, mucks up the order.... if i I use the windows option it works but I get more info than I need, I simply want the file name... are there switches Cher’s I can use to achieve this ..? thanks 135675
  8. folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them.: I was copying some music from Linux to a external NTFS drive to transfer it to Windows but when trying to copy the files/folders, windows blocks me copying the files with '?' and folders with ':'. I got this error when trying to copy a file with '?': The file name you...
  9. How to reserve a copy from within 10 preview?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reserve a copy from within 10 preview?: I upgraded both of my 8.1 machines to 10 about 3 months ago and have just been using them ever since. Today I reserved my 10 upgrade on my other win7 machine. It occurs to me that I have no way of reserving an upgrade to 10 when I am already running 10. I have my product keys...
  10. No advantage in Reserving Your Copy?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No advantage in Reserving Your Copy?: What is the advantage of reserving win10? I did this the first moment it was possible. About a month later I eventually did it to my other four machines. The last machine I reserved it on was my laptop. The first machine to say it was ready to install was the...