Windows 10: how to create a desktop icon for file explorer

Discus and support how to create a desktop icon for file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just moved from W7 to W10 and haven't been able to figure out how to create a desktop app icon for file explorer. I can do it for apps that I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by newmarket2, Aug 28, 2015.

1. how to create a desktop icon for file explorer

I just moved from W7 to W10 and haven't been able to figure out how to create a desktop app icon for file explorer.
    I can do it for apps that I've loaded, but can't figure it out for special Windows programs.

Yes, I have it in my task bar and can clearly see it in the start popup, but I'd still like to be able to launch with a desktop click, like I've been doing for years and years.

:)

newmarket2, Aug 28, 2015
  2. Ntracs Win User

How to Change the Default Internet Explorer Icon for website shortcut to the website icon

I created a desktop short cut for websites through Google Chrome as follows: when the website appears in the top search bar I highlight the website address and drags it to the desktop.

Each time I perform this function the default icon is the internet explorer icon,

How can I change the default desktop icon internet explorer to the website icon and how can I ensure that this change will occur consistently without manual changes

ie I used Yahoo mail and when I access the link for yahoo mail and drag it to the desktop to create a short cut the icon defaults to internet explorer

Thank you

Ntracs, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Internet explorer in windows 10

Create a New Desktop Shortcut from this file, "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", right-click on the .exe and select Sendto Desktop. Or just drag the Internet Explorer icon from the Start Menu windows to your Desktop.

Linney, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

how to create a desktop icon for file explorer

how to create a desktop icon for file explorer [​IMG]

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  5. On your desktop, right click, click NEW Shortcut, and then type in c:\windows\explorer.exe (if your OS is installed on C: drive), then click Next give it a name and click OK.

play2mefish, Aug 28, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Thanks Shawn I couldn't remember where the tut was( I only slept 3 hours last night*Sleepy) and didn't feel like typing everything*Smile.

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  8. how to create a desktop icon for file explorer

Impressed already by this Forum!!
    Thanks!

newmarket2, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Aug 28, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    I noticed that Explorer, (in Build 10532), automatically generates a shortcut icon for the specified path!
    (In most cases, anyway. Folders, exe's, etc.)

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

how to create a desktop icon for file explorer

1. how to create a desktop icon for file explorer - Similar Threads - create desktop icon

2. How to create a shortcut open the desktop in This PC in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a shortcut open the desktop in This PC in File Explorer: I am using Windows 11 Pro. I have File Explorer set to open to This PC when it starts. I would like to display a shortcut for the Desktop in the main pane File Explorer view when it opens. I used Winaero Tweaker to do this on my desktop PC, but it is not working properly on...
  3. How to create a shortcut open the desktop in This PC in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a shortcut open the desktop in This PC in File Explorer: I am using Windows 11 Pro. I have File Explorer set to open to This PC when it starts. I would like to display a shortcut for the Desktop in the main pane File Explorer view when it opens. I used Winaero Tweaker to do this on my desktop PC, but it is not working properly on...
  4. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  5. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  6. How to Create Icons For Desktop and Documents?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Create Icons For Desktop and Documents?: When I was on Windows 7, I had created icons for my desktop and one for My Documents which I placed in the taskbar. They stayed there when it upgraded to WIN10. I now have a new system and NEED them back. I can't find the website as there are so many hits now with the search...
  7. How to create a virtual desktop with new or no icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to create a virtual desktop with new or no icons?: To create a new virtual desktop, press Win+Ctrl+d. Got that. But how do I create a new virtual desktop that has only 1 or two icons from the original in Win 10 v1903 (the last successful update was Feb 13)? Thanks. 151507
  8. File Explorer: File Count on Desktop Icon Possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer: File Count on Desktop Icon Possible?: I think I might be looking at possibly having to write an app specifically for this, but I'm wondering if there's a way to display a file count on the Desktop Icon for a shortcut called Documents (obviously linked to the Documents folder)? Point being, in a public setting,...
  9. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop and File Explorer icons gone: Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to...
  10. Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?: O.k.....Since switching to the Edge browser, I find that I cannot ''drag and drop'' anything from the favourites bar to the desktop, to create quick link icons.....at the moment I keep going back to Chrome, which allows you to do this....there must be a way surely, in Edge to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. making file explorer display desktop icon

2. open desktop icon for File Explorer

3. how to create icon for windows explorer path

4. create another file explorer icon,
  5. create file explorer desktop icon,
  6. create file explorer icon on desktop,
  7. how to add file manager to desktop,
  8. where are the desktop icons located in file explorer,
  9. create windows explorer icon,
  10. icon for file explorer for desktop,
  11. create disktop icon for windows explorer,