Windows 10: How to create a single USB recovery drive for TWO machines

Discus and support How to create a single USB recovery drive for TWO machines in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I've got two machines, a desktop and a Laptop, both running Windows 10. I am wondering if I can create a single bootable USB recovery drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by oeivinr, Aug 6, 2015.

1. oeivinr Win User

How to create a single USB recovery drive for TWO machines

Hi,

I've got two machines, a desktop and a Laptop, both running Windows 10. I am wondering if I can create a single bootable USB recovery drive adequate for restoring both systems. Or do I need to make TWO USB drives for that purpose.

edwin

:)

oeivinr, Aug 6, 2015

2. How do I create a recovery USB drive for Windows 10 after I've installed it on my PC?

Hi Molly,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to refer the below link:

Refer:

How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 6, 2015
  3. How do I create a recovery USB drive for Windows 10 after I've installed it on my PC?

I just used a USB flashdrive to back up files. I have Windows 10 also. I still have a message telling me, that I need to back up my files & I just did. It took about 30min. I'm not sure what I need to do now. Please help..........

TammieAhrens, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

If you are talking about making a system image, this is a exact copy of your drive/partition. Since there may be different programs/settings on each machine, it might be best to make 2 separate ones, since each one will be unique to each machine.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Aug 6, 2015
  5. DavidY Win User
    I assume this is the type of Recovery Drive being mentioned.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

I don't know the answer I'm afraid though.

My guess is that process now includes more information that's specific to the machine used to create it.

Certainly I made one from my tablet, and the Recovery Drive must have included touchscreen drivers, because when I booted from the Recovery Drive it moved the mouse pointer when I touched it. Unless it has drivers for every touchscreen (or mine is a common type) I think it may have included the machine's specific drivers.

DavidY, Aug 6, 2015
  6. DavidY Win User
    Hi Edwin,
    I've done a bit more testing by making two Recovery Drives
    • One from a tablet (running Windows 10 Home 32-bit)
    • One from a laptop (running Windows 10 Pro 32-bit)
    I note that the recovery drive created from the tablet was usable with the touchscreen when I booted from the tablet. When I tried the version from the laptop, and used it to boot the tablet, the touchscreen didn't work, so I assume no touchscreen drivers were present.

It was usable with a keyboard but I didn't go any further to try Recovery to see if it would have worked, as I didn't want to risk breaking the machine setup.

So it seems the recovery drive includes some specific files and info from the machine used to create it, so two recovery drives created on two machines different won't be the same. Whether they are usable for recovery on a different machine I don't know, but I suspect I may end up keeping separate recovery drives for separate machines.

DavidY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to create a single USB recovery drive for TWO machines - Similar Threads - create single USB

2. How to create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create a recovery drive: How much storage is required to create a recovery drive?Do i need to partition my external hdd if i already have some data, so that i can use the hard disk for creating a recovery drive?...
  3. How to create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a recovery drive: How much storage is required to create a recovery drive?Do i need to partition my external hdd if i already have some data, so that i can use the hard disk for creating a recovery drive?...
  4. How to create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem in creating usb recovery drive

Problem in creating usb recovery drive: I am not able to create the recovery drive on my PC running Windows 10, through the preinstalled recovery drive tool. Each time it gives me a failure message after 10-15 minutes of working. How can I create the usb recovery drive now? Someone please help. Thanks...
  6. Creating a USB Recovery Drive

Creating a USB Recovery Drive: Hi I have a question about creating a USB Recovery Drive on a memory stick with Recovery Drive Desktop App in Windows 10. I've read online that a recovery drive should be remade following Windows Updates, and about once a month in order to retain your Windows settings....
  7. How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive

How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive: I want to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive (a bit under 8 GB) I created. I want to do it because it was extremely slow (~2 h) to create the Recovery Drive and I also want to make a backup of the Recovery Drive in case both my C: corrupts and the USB stick...
  8. Creating a Recovery Drive USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating a Recovery Drive USB: I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier Windows 10. This time it seemed to be working with the system files box checked, though it seemed to take an age before the...
  9. Creating a Recovery Drive . . . Is it Machine Specific?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating a Recovery Drive . . . Is it Machine Specific?: I have a few machines now running Windows 10 pro and I was wondering if I need to create a "Recovery Drive" for all of them (2 are the same model, and one is different), or, can I create one that will work for all of them? If I have to create one for each of them, can I...
  10. Creating USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating USB Recovery Drive: Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The folder is there with the image so I'm not sure about missing files. I had several BSODs after the initial install but...