Windows 10: How to Create MUlti-user Folder Security for a School Setting

Discus and support How to Create MUlti-user Folder Security for a School Setting in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I asked in a previous thread a related but it never lead to a useful solution, so I will try again. I have . a computer(s) that I want to use in a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Jerrythesurfer, Oct 2, 2017.

1. How to Create MUlti-user Folder Security for a School Setting

I asked in a previous thread a related but it never lead to a useful solution, so I will try again.

I have . a computer(s) that I want to use in a multi-user situation where I will be adding and removing uses based on the school semester. One these computers I've installed a separate drive (X:\) for user data. What I would like to do is create an environment where each user sees X: as their own personal drive. Meaning that all other users file/folder are hidden and unavailable. As alternate solution, it would be acceptable to create a folder for each user and that any user cannot see the contents of other user folder. Either solution would work. From a maintenance point of view, when a user is added I'd like to update security for that user and only that user (meaning not having to updated folder security settings for all existing user. One last piece of information for cost purposes we are using the Home version of Window 10. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro is not in the budget. Also, we do not have an IT department so hopefully the solution is something a teacher can implement.

I appreciate any help or assistance. Lastly, I'd like to avoid registry changes but if that is the only simple way then so be it.

Jerry

:)

Jerrythesurfer, Oct 2, 2017

2. how hard to set up plublic folder

how much time does it take to create a public folder. having multi users is there an icon on every users desktop thay they ck to put in , see , use, thanks.

valentinemartino, Oct 2, 2017
  3. spillerbd Win User
    Soul Reaver 2 video game wont run on Windows 10, did run on Windows 8.1 prior to upgrade.

I have a Multi-user 8.1 machine that I have had a similar issue with. Game client originally did not require additional login or permission but after an update to 8.1 it did for one of the user accounts.

I did resolve by reviewing permissions and security settings of the folder where the game client and files are stored and managed to get user to run without additional admin user login.

Win10 has probably changed security for certain folders as Microsoft tries to help combat security issues....

spillerbd, Oct 2, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

How to Create MUlti-user Folder Security for a School Setting

I dont see the point in this why cant they just save files to their profile path which only they have rights too? Hidding the folders and drive would be a problem as if they show hiden files they would see them. If you create folders for each user that would be simpliest then before you do any Deny set allow set admins to allow set user to allow set everyone to deny. User can see the folder but cant access. If you have a lot to do you could write a simple script to create folder and permissions so it would take seconds

Samuria, Oct 2, 2017
  5. Samuria,

Thanks for the suggests. A couple of comments or questions.
    1)There is no group called Everyone on my security tab
    2)is there a precedence order on the list of Users/groups on the Security tab. For example is it top to bottom or bottom up? Do individual users have precedence to groups
    3) is there a defined hierarchy to the list of. For example is Users a subset of Authenticated Users,....

Again, thanks for taking your time to respond

6. Samuria Win User
    There must be an everyone its been that way for years if it doesnt show on the folder goto advanced and add everyone. Any group or user can have permission set individually system is the highest which is windows itself

Samuria, Oct 2, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Not sure if it can be done in Home edition, but I believe everything can be accomplished via Group Policy, but it's way beyond my knowledge to instruct how.

Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

Tony K, Oct 2, 2017
  8. How to Create MUlti-user Folder Security for a School Setting

I've tried DENYing privledges to the group Everyone but all that did was make it so no user could see any folder. I had the same result when DENYing to the group Users.

I don't understand or don't know if there is any rules or precedence or hierarchy where I can DENY Everyone but then ALLOW for a specified User. Seem that DENY outranks ALLOW and that is a problem.

I still don't see a way to allow a User to only access their files and not be able to access or see other user's file. I have a hard time believing this can't be done. Hope someone out there can point me in the right direction,

Thanks

9. Samuria Win User
    I refer you to post two you must set ALLOW before you set deny do that and it works be sure to allow admin and user

Samuria, Oct 2, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 2, 2017
  11. Samuria,

This did not work. Here is what I did.
    0) Created a folder on X: with the name Jerry
    On the security tab, I did the following

1) the Administers group was already set to Allow (gray check marks)
    2) my personal account is already set to Allow (black check marks)
    3) I set Users group to Allow. It was already Allow but not for certain things
    4) Added the group Everyone and set it to Deny

What happened was I was not able to access my own folder (Jerry) on the X: drive.

12. Samuria Win User
    Going back to simple way why can't they just save in their own profile that doesn't need setting up? Or what about post 8 brinks idea

Samuria, Oct 2, 2017
  13. How to Create MUlti-user Folder Security for a School Setting

Samuria,

I certainly can relocate each user's special folders, ie. Documents, Pictures, etc. I would like to teach, include in my lesson plan, how to deny every user access to a folder that is outside the special folder group. I was hoping it was possible to do this.

I know my knowledge on the subject is limited but I am trying to acquire the necessary skill. I also don't know if Security has some sort of hierarchy or precedence rules. I do know the Deny is stronger than Allow, but are there any other set rules, i.e. that Everyone is stronger than Users and how do they aggregate. For example, if User is set to Read and Everyone is set to Write, is the effective permission Read/Write. Question, is it possible to remove an individual user from a group. For example, can I remove myself from the Everyone and User groups? What are the side-effects.

Unfortunately, all these questions are outside of Microsoft support for Window 10 Home and Pro.

Thanks,

14. Samuria Win User
    OPen a cmd prompt them type

icacls x:\jerry

post results so we can see what you have done it may be inheriting from folders above

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to Create MUlti-user Folder Security for a School Setting

1. How to Create MUlti-user Folder Security for a School Setting - Similar Threads - Create MUlti user

2. How to create school ID?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create school ID?: School id https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-school-id/6f8caa33-1753-4a82-a7c8-28fee05652b1
  3. How to create school ID?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create school ID?: School id https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-school-id/6f8caa33-1753-4a82-a7c8-28fee05652b1
  4. How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?: I don't know how but a sub folder in the USER folder is created with " ' " as the name of the folder instead of my username or system name. So whenever I was trying to install MySQL, it showed an error and now I had to install it in another folder where it's working fine. And...
  5. How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?

How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?: I don't know how but a sub folder in the USER folder is created with " ' " as the name of the folder instead of my username or system name. So whenever I was trying to install MySQL, it showed an error and now I had to install it in another folder where it's working fine. And...
  6. Creating Folders in Users/OS

Creating Folders in Users/OS: Can I create a new folder in my User and/or OS folders I am doing this to create space in my onedrive. Or will this bug out my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-folders-in-usersos/c44b0f5d-5723-4d29-b924-1d8dd62ff091
  7. Creating Folders in Users/OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating Folders in Users/OS: Can I create a new folder in my User and/or OS folders I am doing this to create space in my onedrive. Or will this bug out my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-folders-in-usersos/c44b0f5d-5723-4d29-b924-1d8dd62ff091
  8. How to apply security setting to all users?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to apply security setting to all users?: Under administrator account, once many privacy setting are setup, I would like to know on how to apply those settings into all different users without repeating setup the same setting for each user individually. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any...
  9. Setting the user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting the user folder: I just got a new computer. I transferred files from my previous Windows 10 unit into the Users/MyName folder. The files that show up on the Desktop are in the Users/Public/Public_Desktop folder. How can I get windows to look in the Users/MyName folder for user files? Of...
  10. How to create Multi bootable USB

How to create Multi bootable USB: I want Win 7, Win 10, Macrium Rescue and one more in one USB. I tried program WinsetupfromUSB but could not run Macrium. Can someone tell how to proceed or is there any other program which could do it. I think, I selected wrong box while adding Macrium. Can someone tell...