Windows 10: How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?

Discus and support How to create shortcut to Task Switcher? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 8 and previous, we could execute the Task Switcher shortcut to programmatically bring up the Alt-Tab window without needing to press... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hilltop, Oct 7, 2015.

1. hilltop Win User

How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?

In Windows 8 and previous, we could execute the Task Switcher shortcut to programmatically bring up the Alt-Tab window without needing to press Alt-Tab. NOTE: This shortcut is located in:
    C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    and is still present in Windows 10 after upgrading from 8.1

This was immensely helpful for setting up a mouse shortcut button to bring up the task switcher. I had mine configured when clicking the middle wheel, the task switcher appeared. Then rolling the wheel allowed selection of the desired active application, and a second click of the wheel selected that application.

After upgrading to Windows 10, the "Task Switcher" shortcut no longer works. When attempting to execute it, nothing happens.

Also on eightforums.com, I discovered a method of creating this shortcut manually (i.e. referencing the appropriate GUID shell action ( Shortcut - Create in Windows 8)

However, this has stopped working in Windows 10.

Is there any way to recover this functionality in Windows 10?

Also, as an added bonus, is there any way to bring up Task View in the same way? Task view shows all virtual desktops and may be a more efficient way of navigating open programs than the Task Switcher.

I'm sure both of these are simply different shell GUID's (similar to the eightforums link above) but I don't know how to go about finding them.

Thank you for any direction!

:)

hilltop, Oct 7, 2015
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Oct 7, 2015
  3. How to create a shortcut for a keyboard shortcut.

Hi Marcos,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are willing to create Keyboard shortcut on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the steps in the below Microsoft article to create
    a keyboard shortcut for an app.

Create keyboard shortcuts to open desktop apps

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above link are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 as well.

Refer below article for more information on Keyboard shortcuts.

Keyboard shortcuts

Please post back with above information and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Oct 7, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 7, 2015
  5. hilltop Win User
    Yes I realize that, but the point is to be able to trigger this action programmatically. In Windows 8, I could execute the aforementioned shortcut to trigger the windows switching popup.
    As I mentioned, this no longer works for some reason. How can I re-enable this functionality.

Thanks,
    Ryan

hilltop, Oct 7, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm not aware of a way to do so yet. *Sad

Brink, Oct 8, 2015
  7. rommmcek Win User
    Hi, HillTop!
    @How to create shortcut to Task Switcher?

Last weekend I upgraded to W10 and stood for the same problem. In W8 & 8.1 I used the same shortcut as you.
    But now with W10 I can use AltTabAndMenu & AltTabMenuDismiss again as in old good XP times.
    I'm talking about Autohotkey! It's a great tool and I warmly recommend it to you! → AutoHotkey

But if you want to see this in C# you should go to GitHub! → AutoHotkey/AutoHotkey · GitHub

bye

rommmcek, Dec 22, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

Task View opener created using AutoHotKey.Task View.zip

9. rommmcek Win User
    Exe file is good idea! But "You" sent wrong program.

rommmcek, Dec 28, 2015
  10. rommmcek Win User
    Use: Arrow keys or s, d, f, e or mouse Wheel to select.
    Use: Win, Space, Shift, Enter, NumpadEnter, or Left mouse Button (positional) to confirm.
    Use: Esc, Del or Middle mouse Button to cancel.

rommmcek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to create shortcut to Task Switcher? - Similar Threads - create shortcut Task

2. How to create a desktop shortcut for a program that is pinned to the Task Bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to create a desktop shortcut for a program that is pinned to the Task Bar: I don't know the name of a program that is pinned to the Task Bar so that I can create a desktop shortcut. The program was pinned to the Task Bar by an HP printer technician during troubleshooting a prrinter issue. Why? I want to be certain that I can locate the program if...
  3. How to create a desktop shortcut for a program that is pinned to the Task Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a desktop shortcut for a program that is pinned to the Task Bar: I don't know the name of a program that is pinned to the Task Bar so that I can create a desktop shortcut. The program was pinned to the Task Bar by an HP printer technician during troubleshooting a prrinter issue. Why? I want to be certain that I can locate the program if...
  4. How to create a desktop shortcut for a program that is pinned to the Task Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how to create shortcut on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to create shortcut on desktop: I need to create short cuts on my sesk top of URLs and programs frequently used https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-shortcut-on-desktop/7bd2975a-3d10-48f3-94e4-1bc2009430ea
  6. How to create Task View shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create Task View shortcut in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Task View window management feature in Windows 10 allows you to see all your opened windows so you can quickly return to a specific […] This article How to create Task View shortcut in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. task switcher on all monitors?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    task switcher on all monitors?: I have 3 monitors and the fact that the task switcher (the window selector that appears when I press alt+tab) appears only on one of them is a bit annoying. Is there a way to make it always show on all monitors? submitted by /u/xerces8 [link] [comments]...
  8. Stop things in task switcher moving around

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop things in task switcher moving around: Hello, I've tried to search around for an answer to this, but not knowing how to describe the icon/preview things in the alt-tab task switcher, am at a bit of a loss. Like on Mac OSX, Windows 10 likes to shuffle everything around in the task switcher, just to slow you down a...
  9. How to create a reboot shortcut?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to create a reboot shortcut?: I found that one can shorten the steps of shutting down windows by creating a shortcut on the desktop. by using this command "%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0" The shutdown exe file can be found in the directory above. I thought I may be able to create a similar...
  10. Create Task View Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Task View Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Task View Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create Task View Shortcut in Windows 10 Windows 10 introduces a new feature called switch between all of your open apps on multiple desktops. Create custom additional desktops to group apps for productivity,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. create task switcher