Windows 10: how to create sub-folders in the start menu

Discus and support how to create sub-folders in the start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I would like to organize my All Apps portion of the start menu in W10 as I did in W7. So far I have not figured out how to do this. There are a couple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ruggb, Jul 24, 2015.

1. ruggb Win User

how to create sub-folders in the start menu

I would like to organize my All Apps portion of the start menu in W10 as I did in W7.
    So far I have not figured out how to do this. There are a couple of problems.
    1. Some programs just do not appear. I have one folder containing 3 shtcts. 2 appear and Uninstall does not. I believe another instance of an Uninstall shtct does appear, so I don't think MS is just eliminating Uninstall shtcts. All the files are in the actual Start menu folder seen with FE.

2. Any folders under the first folder in the Start menu do not appear but the files under them do. So everything is mashed together.

This is what you see in file explorer in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

Garmin << folder
    Basecamp << folder
    Basecamp << shortcut
    Uninstall << shortcut
    Express << folder
    Express << shortcut
    Nuvi << shortcut

This is what you see in the All apps list.
    G
    Garmin << folder
    Basecamp << shortcut
    Uninstall << shortcut
    Express << shortcut
    Nuvi << shortcut

Any ideas how to work around this - until maybe M$ fixes it?

:)

ruggb, Jul 24, 2015

2. How-to create sub-folders in my SMS/MMS menu...

I'm not aware of any other solution.

Linley Meslier, Jul 24, 2015
  3. JT81 Win User
  4. bro67 Win User

Microsoft will not fix that. If you want to do it that way, use either Start10 or Classic Shell. The Start Menu is in the same place as it always has been. C:\Users\(user name)\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

The one you are wanting to change is the Master folder. To make changes in that, you have to take ownership of it, because the "System" owns it for protecting the folder from being possibly infected.

bro67, Jul 24, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    You can't create sub-folders for the Start Menu-All Apps, but you can create links for them.

Click on the link for the video and go to approximately 15:00

Start Menu Cleanup

Edwin, Jul 24, 2015
  6. ruggb Win User
    me thinks u r confused as me.
    This C:\Users\(user name)\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu is the start menu for the "Start Menu"
    This "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" is what u call the master folder is the start menu for the "All apps" section.. I don't have any problem making changes to it without having taken ownership of it.
    The problem isit does not show the sub-folders under All apps.

ruggb, Jul 24, 2015
  7. bro67 Win User
    That would be correct. If you are talking about the Metro Menu, those are kept in a different folder. Desktop uses both of the folders that you & I posted.

The Metro Screen apps are in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. You have to take ownership of that folder, due to it may state that it is owned by "Unknown owner".

bro67, Jul 24, 2015
  8. how to create sub-folders in the start menu

Try removing the shortcuts to the folders. I have a similar setup, and the folders show up - I never created shortcuts to the folders, just the folders.

Slartybart, Jul 24, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

IMO the best way to create a cascaded decent Menu is the same as it's been since VISTA days --simply create a CUSTOM toobar.

You can also add Metro (New style) apps to it and of course pin these to the desktop as well if you need to.

I did a post on this in the W8 Forum --I think it's still there.

No registry hacks etc required either -- and you can save the items to a file so you don't have to re-create every time after re-installing Windows.

Metro apps - desktop / taskbar / create cascading menu

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 24, 2015
  10. Debbie Win User
    I have Classic Shell version 4.2.1 installed on my W10 TP and it does the job for me, I can customize all I want. *Smile

There is a setting in Classic Shell that lets me set the Win Key to open the new W10 style start menu so I have the option to use it if I want.

Debbie, Jul 24, 2015
  11. chiko Win User
    Thanks Debbie. I am even more convinced that Classic Shell is what I need to make this thing work the way I want it to.

chiko, Jul 24, 2015
  12. Debbie Win User
    You are welcome!
    *Biggrin

Debbie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how to create sub-folders in the start menu - Similar Threads - create sub folders

2. How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?: I don't know how but a sub folder in the USER folder is created with " ' " as the name of the folder instead of my username or system name. So whenever I was trying to install MySQL, it showed an error and now I had to install it in another folder where it's working fine. And...
  3. How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to rename the sub-folder created in USER folder ?: I don't know how but a sub folder in the USER folder is created with " ' " as the name of the folder instead of my username or system name. So whenever I was trying to install MySQL, it showed an error and now I had to install it in another folder where it's working fine. And...
  4. Is there a way to create my own expandable sub folders in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to create my own expandable sub folders in start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Nordle_420D [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/vfi5b7/is_there_a_way_to_create_my_own_expandable_sub/
  5. How to create a folder in Start Menu of Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to create a folder in Start Menu of Windows 11: [IMG]This post will show you how to create a folder in Windows 11 Start Menu. To do this you can use the drag-and-drop method as described here in this post. How to create a folder in Start Menu of Windows 11 If you’re Windows 11 user and would like to create a folder in the...
  6. Sub folders created in email.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sub folders created in email.: I have Microsoft email. I have created several folders to store emails I may need to retrieve. However, most of the emails I've moved to a different folder from the inbox have disappeared. How can I stop this happening, and retrieve previously stored emails?...
  7. script for opening a folder as sub-menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    script for opening a folder as sub-menu: Hello I'm looking for a script (.vbs or. Bat) that opens an existing folder as a sub-menu at mouse pointer location. or a script that opens a custom menu (included some shortcuts)at pointer. is it possible? My OS: win 10 1903 .268 154148
  8. Create folders in the start menu?

Create folders in the start menu?: I have tried creating a folder in every known location to get an additional folder to show up in the start menu so I can throw some games and what not under it...does anyone have any idea how to do this? I've tried creating a folder named "Games" in the following:...
  9. create folders in start menu to organize

create folders in start menu to organize: In W7 I have created folders in the start menu so I can organize by topic. I can't figure out if/how to do that in W10. Any clues? 7446
  10. How to create shortcuts for start menu?

in Browsers and Email
    How to create shortcuts for start menu?: I am at my wits end with this issue: I started to populate my start menu with shortcuts (tiles) for things like google finance, flagler live news, etc..all websites by hitting "pin to start" in the new edge browser. I have now made Opera my default browser, so now I...