Windows 10: How to customize default search view ?

Discus and support How to customize default search view ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, So I already know how to customize de default view in the explorer for General Items, Documents, Pictures, Music, or Videos folders,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JackyJacks, Dec 20, 2016.

1. How to customize default search view ?

Hi everyone,

So I already know how to customize de default view in the explorer for General Items, Documents, Pictures, Music, or Videos folders, but how to do the same for the search results ?

Basically, if you customize the view for any search on the folder c:\toto, any search that would happen later on that c:\toto folder will keep the customized view settings. But I can't find any clue on how to apply these settings for any folder.

Cheers

:)

JackyJacks, Dec 20, 2016

2. How can I set up a default or preferred view for folder search results, Build 14393?

How can I set up a default or preferred view for folder search results?

Windows Build 14393 has a default view for the results when I perform searches within folders. With the previous Windows 10 version, Windows would use my preferred search results view. Previously, to establish the search results view was simply to set the
    view for search results after obtaining the search results in that folder. This no longer works. For example, if I perform a .jpg search in a folder, Windows always defaults to "Content" view, "Descending" order. I have never, not even once, selected this
    view. No matter how many times I change the the view of the results, new searches always resolve to default Contents, Descending view.

LeonardoDV, Dec 20, 2016
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 20, 2016
  4. Win10Pro Win User

How to customize default search view ?

Could you provide any screenshots to explain it in a pictorial form?

Win10Pro, Dec 20, 2016
  5. Well I tried to say it clear, but here are the screenshot to be crystal clear *Smile

Let say you have to folders at the root of C drive, folder 1 and folder 2.
    I go in folder 1 and make a search on txt extensions:

How to customize default search view ? [​IMG]

Now you can see the default "search view", which I don't like so I manually customize the view to get this:

Then, I go in folder 2 and make a new search again. The default search view is displayed...

So this is my point, I'd like to customize that default search view.
    Please note that if I get back to folder 1 and make any search, the customized settings previously selected are still on, so the search view is saved somewhere on a folder basis.

Hope this can help you help me *Biggrin

JackyJacks, Dec 20, 2016
  6. Ok I found the perfect solution !
    I did search the forum before posting my thread but I missed this one :
    How to change default Folder View of Search Results

So basically here is the procedure to apply you preferred display settings to the default search view:
    1- Create a new folder anywhere, also create a dumb file into it
    2- Go inside the folder and peform a search
    3- Apply you beloved custome view mpanually
    4- Close the explorer window
    5- Open the registry and browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags"
    6- Inside this key, you'll find a list of keys corresponding to stored data for your folders, the keys are named after an incremental number, that's why you had to create a new folder at the first place, so, find the highest key number within the list
    7- If you did not browse anything since you closed the search, inside the highest key you should find a key named "Shell" and inside it, a key named "{7FDE1A1E-8B31-49A5-93B8-6BE14CFA4943}"
    8- Export that "{7FDE1A1E-8B31-49A5-93B8-6BE14CFA4943}" key to a reg file on your desktop (or anywhere you like)
    9- Edit that exported reg file into the notepad (or any text editor you like *really)
    10- In the key path, replace the number of you folder occurence (from point 6) to "AllFolders"
    11- Save the reg file and double click on it to apply it
    12- Voil , your customized default search view is now applied !

Note that the new customized default view will not apply to folders where you previously already searched into, because any time you search a folder it will create the per folder settings that has priority on the default settings.

Cheers *Party

JackyJacks, Dec 21, 2016
  7. Win10Pro Win User
    I can't believie it's so simple *Tongue
    Anyway, I'm really glad you found the solution and explained it in much detail.

Win10Pro, Dec 21, 2016
  8. How to customize default search view ?

Oh yeah and one more thing !

"{7FDE1A1E-8B31-49A5-93B8-6BE14CFA4943}" is actually the key for "generic search folders", you also need to apply the same procedure to all type of folders (you can also apply different settings for each kind):
    - "{ea25fbd7-3bf7-409e-b97f-3352240903f4}" for "video search folders"
    - "{71689ac1-cc88-45d0-8a22-2943c3e7dfb3}" for "music search folders"
    - "{4dcafe13-e6a7-4c28-be02-ca8c2126280d}" for "pictures search folders"
    - "{36011842-dccc-40fe-aa3d-6177ea401788}" for "document search folders"

Well I'm done here (hopefully)

JackyJacks, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to customize default search view ?

1. How to customize default search view ? - Similar Threads - customize default search

2. Change default view for the search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default view for the search results: Is there a way to set thedefault view for the search results in file explorer without having to changeit every time I use the search feature? I would like the default view be for:1. Documents, not web. This should be the default view as oneonly need go to search engine for...
  3. How to set default SEARCH view to DETAILS

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set default SEARCH view to DETAILS: I do many file/folder searches in my work and the search result view is always CONTENT. I would like my default search view to always be DETAIL? Windows 10 pro Any help for this would be appreciated. Thank you 163751
  4. default View LIST in search folder

default View LIST in search folder: how to default View LIST in search folder ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-view-list-in-search-folder/58d196f6-f2bd-4de9-ac02-b93cf7b63026
  5. Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View)

Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View): When I do a search, I want the default view of the results to be the detailed view. How do I change the default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-search-view-to-detail-view-not/8d2eb719-0ee7-466c-87c5-30878be8656f
  6. Trying to customize taskbar search & Folder Explorer (Default view)

Trying to customize taskbar search & Folder Explorer (Default view): I have a large number of research articles on my laptop (via dropbox). One thing I loved about Windows 7 was that I could just hit the Start button, type a keyword into the search box and a results window would pop up that listed every matching document on my computer. I was...
  7. Customize Default Open File Dialog View Settings When Searched

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Default Open File Dialog View Settings When Searched: How can I change the default view settings for open file dialogs so that they always show Details view and sorted by Last Modified *when the open file dialog quick search box has been used to find files*? 108715
  8. How to change default Folder View of Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default Folder View of Search Results: Hello, After installing an update a few days ago I am encountering a number of extremely annoying issues I didn't previously have. Whenever I use the Search Box in the File Explorer, it almost always displays the results using the "Content" view. If I switch it to my...
  9. How can I "Un-Edit" default view in Custom Views of the Event Editor

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I "Un-Edit" default view in Custom Views of the Event Editor: Hello all. Seems like I have managed to screw up the default "Administrative Events" in the Custom Views section of the Event Viewer. I filtered it for warnings, etc., intending to save as a new definition, but in fact managed to apply the filter to the default definition...
  10. How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension: Hello, So I practically have most of my folders that contain all types of files set up for the Details view setting. (if you right click in a folder -> View -> Details) I set all those adjustments through the Folder Options window. Yet when I open a Saved Search File...