Windows 10: How to customize pinned Start Menu icon?

Discus and support How to customize pinned Start Menu icon? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a shortcut on the left-hand side of Start Menu that opens my Gmail in a Chrome window. This shortcut is actually a shortcut to chrome.exe with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AndreyT, Feb 20, 2017.

1. AndreyT Win User

How to customize pinned Start Menu icon?

I have a shortcut on the left-hand side of Start Menu that opens my Gmail in a Chrome window. This shortcut is actually a shortcut to chrome.exe with a bunch of command-line arguments that make it open my Gmail page right away. The shortcut has a custom "red enevelope" icon. It is displayed in the left-hand side of Start Menu with that icon.

Now, I want to pin that icon to the "tile" side (right-hand side) of Start Menu. However, when I do that it immediatly appears as a tile with the regular Chrome icon. But I don't want it to use the regular Chrome icon. I want to see it there with that "red enevelope" icon - the same it uses on on the left-hand side of Start Menu.

How can I achieve that?

:)

AndreyT, Feb 20, 2017

2. Microsoft solitaire games

Find anything you want pinned to Start in the alphabetical Apps list in Start Menu, right click to Pin To Start. Drag the tile to where you want it, resize to make it the size you want to get Live Notifications (Mail, News, Weather, etc).

There is more here about customizing the Start Menu to your desires: 10 Ways to Customize the Windows 10 Start Menu

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 20, 2017
  3. How do I customize Pinned shortcuts?

I have various Shortcuts pinned on my "Start Menu". Some of them are shortcuts to folders, and others are shortcuts to websites that were pinned using Microsoft Edge.

The problem Im running into is that a lot of them have the same icon and label. So, unless I remember which order I put the Icon in, I don't know which Icon is which, especially when I need the icon "Small"

Question: How do I relabel a pin and change its icon?

VarxtisFoh, Feb 20, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

When you pin that shortcut to the 'tiles' side of Start you are actually creating a second copy of the shortcut. It is this copy that you need to customise. To find it, right-click on the tile. Select 'More > Open file location'. This opens File Explorer with the shortcut already selected. This is the one you should set a custom icon for, which will then appear on the Tile.

5. AndreyT Win User
    No, it doesn't seem to be the case. When I do 'More > Open file location' on the pinned Gmail tile, it opens exactly the same location as the one that's opened when I do 'More > Open file location' on the original Gmail icon in the menu.

And, of course, the shortcut in that location shows the proper icon. But the pinned tile does not want to show that icon.

So, it appears that it does not really create a second copy of the shortcut.

AndreyT, Feb 20, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Hmmm, I tried it with a tile for a pinned portable app, and it worked for that.

How did you make the Gmail shortcut on the left side in the first place? What file location do you get when you 'open file location?'

7. AndreyT Win User
    I made it using Chrome 'More Tools > Add to desktop' command. This creates a folder under 'Start Menu\Programs' named 'Chrome Apps'. The full path is (in my case)

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Chrome Apps

Chrome places the shortcuts into that folder. They are ordinary Windows shortcuts that lead to 'chrome.exe' with some extra command-line parameters.

When I pin this menu entry as a tile, the tile leads to the same location shown above.

AndreyT, Feb 20, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

OK, I have a comparable shortcut I added to Windows Accessories to start IE with no add-ons. It is in:
    C:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories
    and is an ordinary shortcut to iexplore.exe with some parameters:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

It originally showed the default IE icon on the list of All apps on the left Start menu. I pinned it to Start and it showed the same IE icon. I then did 'More > Open file location' and gave it a different icon. As you can see, both the All apps menu and the Tile show the custom icon now.

How to customize pinned Start Menu icon? [​IMG]

This was done with version 1607, what version does Winver say you have? It may be that this doesn't work on earlier versions, the Start menu had a lot of changes from that of 1511.

I suggest you try changing the icon to something else, then back to your preferred icon after you have pinned it to Start. This may kick Windows into showing the correct icon on the Tile.

9. Edwin New Member
    Chrome has it's own exclusive 'Visual Elements' that are used for any shortcut that invokes the Chrome.exe, that is why Google Chrome's tile never matches your accent color.
    You would need to change the visual elements in the highlighted location, as I have done, but you can't make a different one for every shortcut.

How to customize pinned Start Menu icon? [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 20, 2017
  10. AndreyT Win User
    The fact that the same icon is shown in both places indicates that in your case no separate copy of that icon was created either.
    I have the latest version of Windows 10 Pro x64: version 1607 Build 14393.693. The behavior I'm observing is apparently specific to Chrome, which is why your experiments with IE show a different result.

AndreyT, Feb 20, 2017
  11. AndreyT Win User
    I see.

In order to achieve what I want I can probably try to work around this limitation by obfuscating the fact that the shortcut leads to 'chrome.exe'.

I created a small .bat file:

Code: @echo off start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" %*[/quote] and created another shortcut to that .bat file in the same area with the same set of command-line arguments as the original Gmail shortcut.

It works. And now I can customize the icon in any way I want.

AndreyT, Feb 20, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    and created another shortcut to that .bat file in the same area with the same set of command-line arguments as the original Gmail shortcut.

It works. And now I can customize the icon in any way I want.[/quote] *Thumbs

Edwin, Feb 20, 2017
  13. AndreyT Win User

Finally, the whole thing can be implemented without introducing a .bat file simply by creating a shortcut to
    Code: cmd /C start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" <whatever chrome params you need>[/quote] Configure the shortcut to "Run: Minimised" to avoid seeing the shell window opening and closing.

AndreyT, Feb 20, 2017
  14. StuT Win User
    AndreyT... this cmd solution works wonders for Chrome webpages that you don't mind opening to the site without the main Chrome application tabs, toolbars, etc., and it allows me to use my own icons on the start menu. However, for Netflix, I need the main Chrome toolbars in order to access the Cast... feature, to cast Netflix to the TV with Chromecast. Any ideas on how that could be achieved?

Thema:

1. How to customize pinned Start Menu icon? - Similar Threads - customize pinned Start

2. modify pinned start menu icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    modify pinned start menu icons: how do you modify pinned start menu icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modify-pinned-start-menu-icons/6610f75a-a87a-4dca-919e-987fbb9297d9
  3. modify pinned start menu icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    modify pinned start menu icons: how do you modify pinned start menu icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modify-pinned-start-menu-icons/6610f75a-a87a-4dca-919e-987fbb9297d9
  4. Custom size start menu pins?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Custom size start menu pins?: Why can't we have pins on start bar that are one and a half medium fields in size? submitted by /u/obscure_greenleaf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jrscd9/custom_size_start_menu_pins/
  5. How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?: I found an article about how to do this that described this method: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3wnohc/is_there_a_way_to_pin_custom_shortcuts_to_the/ but this doesn't work. There are only a handful of folders and shortcuts in this folder, not anywhere near the...
  6. Start menu pin icon problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu pin icon problem: Hello dear , after i'm install new version of windows 10 , my start menu icon not showing correctly . when i unpin this icon of below picture , after restart it's come back , when i need pin the app like the twitter , not pin and not showing the app . when click this app...
  7. Customized Start Menu Icon Missing

Customized Start Menu Icon Missing: We have a customized start menu pushed out via group policy. Our machines are also built via Audit mode and sysprep so very "cookie cutter" We have one user who reported after an application crash they rebooted the machine and now one of the icons from the pushed start menu...
  8. pin to start menu customizations

pin to start menu customizations: Where are start menu tiles (pinned shortcuts) stored? I can't find them. I want to customize the start menu and back it up to deploy elsewhere. 12877
  9. Start Menu Custom Icons?

Start Menu Custom Icons?: Is it possible to swap out the default icon with custom one? I use to use a app called OblyTile within Windows 8 and would swap out my icons with custom ones. Is there anyway to do this in W10? Thanks. 9689
  10. Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to pin/unpin for start menu OR customize!: just done a fresh install of windows and i literately cant do anything that relates to pinning or tweaking the start menu. i was reading that there is a way to fix this via tiledatalayer ??? and followed some examples however there was no tiledatalayer folder present in...