Windows 10: How to debug hang problem?

Discus and support How to debug hang problem? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It may not be right to ask here. I know that BSOD will have ramdump for debugging, but what if computer hangs? neither mouse nor keyboard is working,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by demonguy, Dec 7, 2015.

1. demonguy Win User

How to debug hang problem?

It may not be right to ask here. I know that BSOD will have ramdump for debugging, but what if computer hangs? neither mouse nor keyboard is working, in this case, how can i debug the problem?

:)

demonguy, Dec 7, 2015

2. Explorer.exe is constantly crashing and restarting. Windows 10

Naw, that's a Hang, not a Crash. They are very different things. I can possibly speculate as to Crashes, but Hangs are really hard to debug even in person and close to impossible to debug via text conversations. :\

zachd [MSFT], Dec 7, 2015
  3. E71 restarts/crashes during SIP/Internet calls

I am experiencing very annoying crashes during/restarts SIP calls. It happens both on a Wireless and a 3G connection, so in theory it shouldn't be a connection specific issue. During a call the software hangs and automatically reboots. As a user I have
    not identified a behavior pattern that leads to the crashes. So ...

I have the following questions:

1) How can I report this issue to the Nokia developers?

2) How can I collect useful debug information (backtraces, debug logs, etc) for them to analyze?

ivanz---01, Dec 7, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, How do you debug it? You can start by a process of elimination.
    1. What happened before this symptom occurred? E.g. did you install sthg new? Have major update of some sort? Mess up a registry edit? .....
    2. Can you boot to Safe Mode?
    3. if so, you can explore the event viewer reports, and try
    Get information about Windows software that stopped responding/freezing (hang)
    4. If you can boot to safe mode, try a clean boot. If that works, you can enable more until you experience the same symptom.
    5. You can also use shellexview (from Nirsoft) to disable shell extensions (beware, not Microsoft's) and try again

And the alternatives:
    - System restore - if you turned that on and have relevant restore points.
    - Restore from a disk image you created- if you were wise enough to use these (Aomei Backupper, Macrium Reflect) - free
    - If the problem occurred after the November upgrade and you had a good working Win 10 before that, you could use the 'Revert to previous build' and your Windows should be as it was prior to that upgrade.

Good luck!

dalchina, Dec 7, 2015
  5. demonguy Win User
    Then is there anyway i can catch the ramdump when the system hang?

demonguy, Dec 8, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to debug hang problem? - Similar Threads - debug hang problem

2. Start Debugging Problem Visual Studio!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Debugging Problem Visual Studio!!!: When I was trying to go to Run-Without Debugging my File/Project. I accidentally clicked on Start Debugging and it messed up my studio. I restarted my PC and file, but it still did not work! Is anybody able to help me with this problem?This is what pops up when I try to view...
  3. Windows 10 hangs when Debug Mode is enabled

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 hangs when Debug Mode is enabled: Debugging mode is an advanced troubleshooting option in Windows that helps to find and resolve errors in the system. Once enabled, system administrators can use it to connect with debuggers like Windows Debugger (or WinDbg) tool. However, some users face this issue where...
  4. Debug file problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Debug file problem: Yesterday I got a debug file and I got help by someone and he told me I had to re-download chrome or any web browser built on the Chromium Engine but today after I re-downloaded my browser I got the same debug file that said the same thing...
  5. hanging problem

hanging problem: whenever i m using my pc after sometime my pc got hanged and my pc does not restart after hanged. and when i place my pc from one place to another then also my pc got hanged and there is no problem in starting the pc i have so many thing but i can't getting solution of this...
  6. pc hang problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    pc hang problem: my cursor is lagging ,pc is hanging and when it hangs a windows notification sound rings and the screen blinks and my pc is a brand new setup only 6 months need help please.TIA.This started when I upgraded to windows 10...
  7. windows hang problem

windows hang problem: if my pc is idle for 30 minutes then if a browser was already open and click on browser it does not response for a while then comes back to normal is my pc getting into power saver mode or something like that I want to disable it...
  8. Hanging problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hanging problem: Just one month before i purchased hp 15cc178cl which is core i7 and 8th generation... Now i am facing hanging issue its cross all the limits its like i am using 512 mb RAM... But in actual its 8gb... If i open my computer it take 45 seconds to 1 minute to open it... I...
  9. To laptop hanging problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    To laptop hanging problem: Window defender is not working. Some times my laptop will be hanged . What i do for solve this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/to-laptop-hanging-problem/a18ce9ae-e057-4bfa-82f5-f14958873cbf
  10. Debugging a hanging system with no memory dump

Debugging a hanging system with no memory dump: Hi, I'm having troubles with my Windows 10 laptop freezing when it comes out of sleep mode. I get the login screen and can move the mouse but I cannot click any buttons or type into the login box. The time also remains static and there are no entries for the time it was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows how debug hanging desktop app

2. debug a windows hang

3. how to debug hanging issues in windows desktop applications