Windows 10: How to delete an empty folder from a library?

Discus and support How to delete an empty folder from a library? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; . The attached screenshot shows an empty Downloads folder in a Win XP-type of folder setup. I accidentally moved this empty folder from my C:\Users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OldGrantonian, Dec 5, 2016.

1. How to delete an empty folder from a library?

The attached screenshot shows an empty Downloads folder in a Win XP-type of folder setup. I accidentally moved this empty folder from my C:\Users folder. The folder is empty because my Downloads are actually on the E partition, as you can see from the screenshot.
    The correct action was to include the Downloads folder from E in the library. You can see that I've done that.

I tried to correct my action by deleting the empty Downloads folder in C:\Users. That worked, but it didn't remove the folder from the library.

If I right-click on the empty folder and click Delete, I get a message "This file is no longer located in C:\Users".

I would be grateful for any advice on how to delete the empty Downloads folder.

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Dec 5, 2016

2. Delete empty folders from Deleted Items folder in W10 Mail app

I've moved several folders to the Deleted Items folder. I deleted all the files' contents, but the empty folders remain. How do I delete the empty folders? I've tried emptying "Deleted Items," but the files remain in the sidebar list; how do I delete them?

RogerBlair1, Dec 5, 2016
  3. Autumn20 Win User
    [Solved] Unable to delete folders and files on external USB hard drive

I'm not able to delete folders and files on external USB hard drive using Windows 10.

When I click an empty folder, it says "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

and on some empty folders: "An unexpected error is keeping you from deleting the folder. . . . Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty"

In Properties, Security tab, Permissions for Everyone and System says "Allow"

Under Advanced, the Permissions entries says Allow and "Full control" for all principal entries.

How can I delete folders and files?

Autumn20, Dec 5, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

How to delete an empty folder from a library?

lifetec, Dec 6, 2016
  5. .
    Good try, but it didn't work *Sad

Clicking "Delete" for the empty folder now produces no response. (Previously the response was the message, "This file is no longer located in C:\Users", as in my OP.)

Actually, I don't think it has ever been possible to "delete" a folder from a library - it's just a pointer. I looked at my Win 7 laptop. One option is "Remove location from library". But that option (or something similar) does not appear in Win 10.

There's an option "Include in library", which makes no sense to me. In my younger days, I might have included it again in Documents - just to see if it filled up the partition with recursive copies of itself *Smile

Thanks.

OldGrantonian, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to delete an empty folder from a library?

1. How to delete an empty folder from a library? - Similar Threads - delete empty folder

2. Is it safe to delete all empty folders from C:\ ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete all empty folders from C:\ ?: Hello,I've found a short line of CMD code that finds and deletes empty folders from any directory:for /f "delims=" %i in 'dir /s /b /ad ^ sort /r' do rd "%i" 2>NUL I would like to run it in C: \, but I'm concerned it might damage the entire filesystem and make my PC unusable....
  3. Is it safe to delete all empty folders from C:\ ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete all empty folders from C:\ ?: Hello,I've found a short line of CMD code that finds and deletes empty folders from any directory:for /f "delims=" %i in 'dir /s /b /ad ^ sort /r' do rd "%i" 2>NUL I would like to run it in C: \, but I'm concerned it might damage the entire filesystem and make my PC unusable....
  4. Unable to delete an empty folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete an empty folder: I'm getting error message "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program." The folder structure is: Documents/LOGS/Documents/Daily Logs Documents/LOGS/Documents/Musings Documents/LOGS/Documents/TEDHNICAL/...
  5. I cannot for the life of me delete these empty libraries. I deleted the source folders to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I cannot for the life of me delete these empty libraries. I deleted the source folders to...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kermitmargarita [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jaj5ga/i_cannot_for_the_life_of_me_delete_these_empty/
  6. Libraries folders are empty, please help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Libraries folders are empty, please help.: Went to listen to a song yesterday. Found all my folders in Music, and they were all empty. As were the folders in Videos, Pictures, Downloads, Documents and all none foldered files were also gone. Checked hidden, nothing. Searched for file name, nothing. EaseUS Recovery sees...
  7. Windows Mail. Empty Folder will not delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail. Empty Folder will not delete: Hi All, I have emptied an unused Folder and tried to delete it from my list of Folders. It is now a sub-folder and displays under the Deleted folder. When I right click to delete the folder and asked do I really want to delete it, a message appears at the top of the screen...
  8. W10 deleted my empty folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 deleted my empty folders?: I had some folders with music and media in general. Some of them where empty, just to remind me what I had to download later. Today I wake up, turn on my computer and notice they are not there anymore. WTF MICROSOFT? Can someone relate to that? How can I solve it? I'm...
  9. Folder in library does not exist, cannot delete library folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Folder in library does not exist, cannot delete library folder: The first clue that I have an issue. After doing a backup, the error log said "Backup encountered a problem while backing up file D:\Documents\Pictures. Error*SadSTATUS_WAIT_3 (0x80070003))"The Pictures Library contains a folder pointing to D:\Documents\Pictures, however,...
  10. Removing folder from library without deleting it

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Removing folder from library without deleting it: One of my folders appears in 2 libraries. If I delete the folder from the wrong library, it gets actually deleted from both libraries AND ALSO FROM MY "DOCUMENTS" and sent to the bin. How can I remove it from that wrong library but not from my Documents nor from my other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete library folder w10