Windows 10: How to delete contents of a Linux formatted external disk?

Discus and support How to delete contents of a Linux formatted external disk? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have this USB disk that is formatted using Linux system (I believe it is ext2 or ext3). It is used to save TV-recordings. I use Linux Reader to copy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tfwul, Mar 15, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

How to delete contents of a Linux formatted external disk?

I have this USB disk that is formatted using Linux system (I believe it is ext2 or ext3).
    It is used to save TV-recordings. I use Linux Reader to copy these recordings onto my Windows pc.

Am looking for a portable tool, similar to Linux Reader, that can also delete the contents of this external drive.

Right now, I only know of 1 method: from USB using Paragon Harddisk Manager and format the external drive.

Any alternatives ?

Thanks

:)

tfwul, Mar 15, 2018

2. Accessing External Hard Drive in Windows 10

I have read everyone's questions and replies on this problem I think. I haven't found one that answered the question as to why all of a sudden external hard drives (formatted in Fat 32, using a USB connection) are not showing up under My Computer. The
    drive shows up under device manager to be working properly. Load a Linux Mint XFCE Live CD and all the contents of the external drive show up.

Why was I able to access the hard drive in Windows 7 and in Windows 10 for a period of time and Now I longer am able to. What has the new Formatting of Windows caused? Question is how do I over come it.

Linux Mint XFCE is now warning you that some features of their software may not function due to the EUFI (spelling) formating on the hard drive, if you are running both Windows and Linux as I am.

Someone please help because I am lost.

N.Vaughn

NoelVaughn, Mar 15, 2018
  3. Cannot open hard drive with Windows 10 after backup

Hi mate.

Can you upload the exact content of the error message? Also, did you performed any health diagnostic tests on the drive?

You can try to open the content of your external drive with Linux Live CD. You can do that by following these steps:

1. Download and burn the ISO image of Linux to a CD or USB.

2. Once you do this, go in BIOS and change the boot order to the media you burned the Linux on.

3. Restart the computer and when it loads, try and mount the drives (or if Linux can read it, it will mount by itself).

4. See if you can access the data stored there and if you do you can transfer it to another location.

Let us know how it went. How to delete contents of a Linux formatted external disk? :)

MightyMiro_WD, Mar 15, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

I like making a live Linux USB and that will have direct access to any Linux disk or partition. Than you can delete add or modify anything from it as you wish. Program like: LinuxLive USB Creator can download a selected Linux distro and make any USB drive bootable.

CountMike, Mar 15, 2018
  5. I fully agree with @CountMike

It is absolutely the best way to go. While there exist a lot of Linux FS driver and software implementations for Windowss, they are far from reliable and just overcomplicates things. If you have a bootable USB (or DVD) with a Linux distribution, you get easily access to most Linux FS formats (even the more exotic ones) and all simply just works without breaking anything on the HDD.

slicendice, Mar 15, 2018
  6. If you can get the TV internet/local network connected, then it should be possible to do this over the network from any PC with any OS.

You could then both copy and delete whatever you want, without ever having to remove the drive from your TV. But all this of course highly depend on what TV model you have and if it has support for local network sharing. (Most TVs only act as a media server, so only playback is supported but no delete operations are allowed)

slicendice, Mar 15, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    Or if you are happy to delete everything you could re-format it FAT32 or ExFat (you could copy the data you want to save to your PC first).

Most TV/Set-top boxes support FAT filesystems (mine always have anyway) but they don't support NTFS.

8. tfwul Win User

Thank you all for the comments. Please do consider that I have no knowledge at all of Linux commands. The only thing I want to do is to be able to simply delete what is on the disk. Quickly checked out LinuxLive USB Creator, but I am a little unsure how to proceed.
    Say, I downloaded a portable version, say I run this, it will then create a Linux bootable USB drive
    I reboot using the USB thumbdrive... then what?
    End up in some command line environment or something, totally different from Windows?

Hm...
    sorry, but I just think of it... I can attach the drive to the tv setup box and can delete the contents there.
    yes, I admit... a bit dumb that I did not think of it...

But then again basically the issue still exists.

Gave LinuxLive USB Creator a try, after selecting the USB drive, I need to select my favourite Linux ... I can select from I guess some 100 entries. Huh..? No idea...

tfwul, Mar 15, 2018
  9. CountMike New Member
    Most Linux distros have graphical interface and all hove some kind of File manager so no need for any console commands. Works same way as windows do. Puppy Linux is probably smallest and easiest and Slacko variant looks almost like windows.

CountMike, Mar 15, 2018
  10. tfwul Win User
    Thank you. I checked around, specifically for 'beginners' and found following site
    Which Is The Best Linux Distro For Beginners? — 2017 Edition

Somewhere in the beginning it says "
    Well, the answer lies in the fact that Linux Mint was created with a goal to provide an out-of-the-box experience to the newbies.
    "
    Will try to reboot from that one ... see what happens How to delete contents of a Linux formatted external disk? :)

tfwul, Mar 15, 2018
  11. CountMike New Member
    Mint is my favorite too.

CountMike, Mar 15, 2018
  12. tfwul Win User
    I got it running etc. All drives were listed, also the contents of this "Linux" USB drive.
    Everything fine, except...
    delete, permissions, they were greyed out : owner is 'root' (?)
    Don't know, gave up. It seems not so straightforward after all.

tfwul, Mar 15, 2018
  13. tfwul Win User

BTW I also tried with Ubuntu, but it hanged at the start.
    A good working solution :
    Linux File Systems for Windows by Paragon Software
    Linux File Systems for Windows | Paragon Software

It worked flawlessly, even within VMware Workstation.

Actually it is a fully functional version and free to use for 10 days, but then again, the price is very low.
    One minor drawback: there is no USB thumbdrive version, i.e. it can't be installed on an USB thumbdrive.

tfwul, Mar 16, 2018
  14. lx07 Win User
    I have always had a problem with synthetic drivers. Read access is always OK but writing always causes a problem.

I run MacOS, Windows and Linux and have tried various drivers to do read/write on the others file systems and they are uniformly crap. Paragon are generally better than the alternatives but be aware there are lots of threads about ExtFS corrupting drives and making them unreadable. The same goes for NTFS-3G and all the others I've tried from the other side.

Your best bet is to find a shared file system that you can read/write to natively but even this causes problems. For example MacOS will format and use a disk in ExFAT but it will be corrupted if you use it with Windows. If you format it in Windows MacOS will use it fine forever.

For a drive you want to use on a TV box you want to go for the lowest common denominator which is FAT32. This is free for manufacturers to use (which is why it is included) and as long as your individual files are less than 4GB would be the best solution. You don't have the bells and whistles of a modern FS (error correction, authority etc) but it will definitely work.

Note that you can keep using Paragon ExtFS after 10 days just the transfer rate drops to 5Mb/s (basically useless for transfer but may work for deleting things as you are only deleting the partition table entry which is tiny).

15. jimbo45 Win User
    I assume you want to delete the entire HDD and use in Windows

in Windows CMD (elevated)

simply DISPART
    LIST DISK get list of HDD's you can see the one with Linux system on it

then type DISK nn where nn is Disk nr selected from List Disk
    CLEAN

create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick

Job done

Another way if you have access to a Linux system is to simply delete the contents but that will still leave a Linux fs on the HDD. If the HDD is on a NAS you can simply delete from Windows if the HDD is shared.

The simplest way is just use the command line in windows like I've described.

Now if you want to use the HDD again on a Linux system just create a new fs on it with a command like mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdx or wherever it's mounted (that will create an EXT4 fs but you can create XFS or whatever).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 16, 2018
Thema:

1. How to delete contents of a Linux formatted external disk? - Similar Threads - delete contents Linux

2. how to format or delete volume on disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to format or delete volume on disk?: on this disk, there is a windows 11 and I want to delete it and replace it with another OS, but something or some protection won't let me make any changes to it and actually when I'm trying to delete a volume it says successful but nothing will change....
  3. how to format or delete volume on disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to format or delete volume on disk?: on this disk, there is a windows 11 and I want to delete it and replace it with another OS, but something or some protection won't let me make any changes to it and actually when I'm trying to delete a volume it says successful but nothing will change....
  4. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  5. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  6. How to find formatted date for external hard disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find formatted date for external hard disk?: How to find formatted date for external hard disk for exFAT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-formatted-date-for-external-hard-disk/f58a9a65-cf09-499b-8022-b37b816430a2
  7. Format External hard disk drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format External hard disk drive.: I have external hard disk drive which was prepared as a mini windows 10. I am trying to format from disk management and Command prompt. receiving below errors: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile,...
  8. Can't format external hard disk

Can't format external hard disk: I do have external harddisk from toshiba company. I tried to format it but windows always responds windows was unable to complete format. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-external-hard-disk/04f8e492-9b46-431e-905d-812da33a1418
  9. Format my external hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format my external hard disk: Hello guys, I have changed my laptop's hard disk from its original one (HDD) to a SSD and now I want to use the HDD as an external disk for save lots of datas. The problem is that the whole old windows is still on the HDD disk, which means there are still the local disks C,...
  10. 4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible?

4TB external disk is shown as MBR formatted. How is this possible?: The reason for my question is as follows. I had a 4TB Samsung D3 Station external disk that suddenly stopped working. I determined that the problem must have been with the external enclosure and I therefore bought a replacement. Upon trying to connect the drive Hard Disk...