Windows 10: How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

Discus and support How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by R7844, Apr 24, 2024.

1. R7844 Win User

How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer Research _ American Association for Cancer .pdf I tried using File Explorer, right click mouse, but nothing happens, not even a sound. I tried using the Delete key on the keyboard, and nothing happens. I tried opening the file in my PDF reader, and I can’t open it, but I get this popup in my Foxit Phanto

:)

R7844, Apr 24, 2024
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Apr 24, 2024
  3. krowey Win User
    Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Can't delete or change file name

If simplifying the file and folder name is not an option, i guess the best thing to do is to use a third party app like Long Path Tool. Just download it and use it to solve this issue. I hope this would help.

krowey, Apr 24, 2024
  4. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 24, 2024
Thema:

How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

1. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder? - Similar Threads - delete file long

2. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?: I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer...
  3. How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete file with a long name from Downloads folder?: I have windows 10, and cannot delete this file from my Downloads folder:Abstract 4629_ Expression of cancer-associated proliferating cell nuclear antigen caPCNA in various stages and types of neoplasia breast, cervix, colon, gastric, lung, ovary, thyroid, and uterus _ Cancer...
  4. Cannot delete file with long name

Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:"data...
  5. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:"data...
  6. Cannot delete file with long name

7. Cannot delete file with long name

Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:data...
  8. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:data...
  9. Cannot delete file with long name

10. Deleting file with long file name

Deleting file with long file name: I have a file, not a folder, on my desktop that exceeds the 256 limit and I have tried everything on line that I can see to delete it but I am unable to do wo. I cannot move it to a folder, I cannot cut and paste it to the recycle bin, I cannot rename it, I cannot Zip it,...