Windows 10: How to delete PC user account of a child?

Discus and support How to delete PC user account of a child? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello. The user account of a child in my family. The account isn't working right - Universal Apps would load - so I wanted to delete it and recreate... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by stocktiki, Apr 9, 2016.

1. stocktiki Win User

How to delete PC user account of a child?

Hello. The user account of a child in my family. The account isn't working right - Universal Apps would load - so I wanted to delete it and recreate it. Unfortunately, I cannot find an option to delete the account from the PC - only to "block" it, whatever that means. I read this tutorial: Child Account - Add or Remove from Your Family in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

But it describes how to remove a child account from a Microsoft account (which I don't want to do because I like the parental controls) - not how to remove a PC child account.

Is there a way to delete a user account on PC of a child - without removing from the parent's Microsoft account?

:)

stocktiki, Apr 9, 2016

2. how to delete a user account from Windows 10

Hi Dharshan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

It is not recommended to delete the administrator account in Windows. If you want to delete the administrator account, you need to have at least one administrator account in Windows.
    First lets try to create one new Local user account in Windows 10.

Refer the below link to create the new Local user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

After creating the local user account, follow the below steps to assign the local user account as admin.

• Login to the computer using your Microsoft admin account.

• Press Windows + I keys on the keyboard to open Settings menu.

• Click on Accounts in settings window.

• Click on family and other users.

• Click on new user account you created under
      Add someone else to this PC

• Click change account type.

• Change the user type to Admin from Standard.
    Now login through the new user account you have created.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select the
      control panel.

• Click on User accounts.

• Click on Manage other account.

• Enter the password for the administrator account if prompted.

• Click on the account which you want to delete (Microsoft admin account).

• Click on Delete the account.

• Click on Delete the files.

Now the administrator account will be deleted (Microsoft admin account). You may try to login through Local user you have created.

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Apr 9, 2016
  3. how to delete a user account from Windows 10

how can I delete my administrator Account from Windows 10 or to factory reset this computer with out deleting the windows 10 software on it.

DharshanGopalan, Apr 9, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

You need to delete the child account first from your family settings on account.microsoft.com/family. When done you can delete the child account on your PC.

You can then re-create the child account.

Kari, Apr 9, 2016
  5. stocktiki Win User
    Thanks. Just deleting the child accounts at account.microsoft.com might have some unexpected behavior with phones attached to the account.

What if the child PC account was made local? Could I remove it then?

stocktiki, Apr 10, 2016
  6. barryow Win User
    barryow, Apr 10, 2016
  7. stocktiki Win User
    Barryow:

You are genius! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Went into the "old fashioned" Control Panel instead of the Settings menu, found the child account and deleted it. Recreated the account - and now everything works great.

Follow-up: Do you know of a way to delete old (and empty) user folders from old accounts - including the one I just deleted. Even when I'm signed in as an Adminstrator, I get a permissions error.

Thanks!

stocktiki, Apr 11, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Take ownership of the folders, then you can delete them:
    Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2016
  9. barryow Win User
    You need to take ownership of your old user profile directory before deleting it. You can use the free softwares TakeOwnershipPro or TakeOwnershipEx suggested by NavyLCDR.

barryow, Apr 11, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Might as well just add "Take Ownership" to the standard file explorer context (right click) menu instead of using third party software:
    Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2016
  11. shmaun Win User
    Just wanted to say my thanks to Barrow. (post #4) I also had a corrupted child account that needed deleting on my tablet. I did many searches before finding this thread that contained the information on how to delete a child account on windows 10. Awesome!

shmaun, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to delete PC user account of a child? - Similar Threads - delete user account

2. how to delete microsoft user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to delete microsoft user account: how to delete microsoft user account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-microsoft-user-account/d099c103-0cd4-4094-a77a-cb78adb44485
  3. how to delete microsoft user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to delete microsoft user account: how to delete microsoft user account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-microsoft-user-account/d099c103-0cd4-4094-a77a-cb78adb44485
  4. how to delete microsoft user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. hOW TO RESTORE DELETED USER ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hOW TO RESTORE DELETED USER ACCOUNT: Hello there,PLEASE HELP ME!I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED MY MAIN USER ACCOUNT!CAN YOU HELP ME MICROSOFT?IM CRYING. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-deleted-user-account/ca8bc58f-41cd-4f6e-86aa-1ede677b2f4b
  6. hOW TO RESTORE DELETED USER ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hOW TO RESTORE DELETED USER ACCOUNT: Hello there,PLEASE HELP ME!I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED MY MAIN USER ACCOUNT!CAN YOU HELP ME MICROSOFT?IM CRYING. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-deleted-user-account/ca8bc58f-41cd-4f6e-86aa-1ede677b2f4b
  7. Signing In with a child user account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Signing In with a child user account: Hello! I Tried to Sign-in with a child account. But i can't.. It says ''You need an Internet Connection For This''. But I can Sign-In with the administrator Account, WITHOUT Internet Connection....
  8. Child's account deletion warning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Child's account deletion warning: My son who is 9 has a google account in his phone. He received a message saying his account would be deleted in a few days as he was underage. Ive srt up the microsoft family and added him to that with his date of birth. His phone is still receiving notifications...
  9. Reset or delete child account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reset or delete child account: How can we reset our child's account password. There is no where within the family account settings to easily allow this. Or if we need to create a new account how can we easily delete the account to start over....
  10. How to Delete Phantom User Account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to Delete Phantom User Account?: I have what seems to be a phantom User Account in my Users Folder. It is not listed when I go to Settings/Accounts but it is showing up in Windows Explorer. It has one of my APP DATA Folders, as well. How do I delete what seems to be an unnecessary Account Folder? 112509