Windows 10: How to delete USER FOLDER link

Discus and support How to delete USER FOLDER link in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have been using Win10 for about 6 months when a User folder icon appeared on the Desktop. No idea what I did to make it happen. I believe the Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Siggy, May 16, 2016.

1. Siggy Win User

How to delete USER FOLDER link

Have been using Win10 for about 6 months when a User folder icon appeared on the Desktop. No idea what I did to make it happen. I believe the Desktop User folder is a link to the C:/Users/file
    Adding or deleting a file in the C:/Users/file also the same results appear in the Desktop User folder.
    Right clicking on the Desktop User folder the drop down menu does not have a 'Property' choice.

:)

Siggy, May 16, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

User folder has no user account, how to delete?

Malex,

The most serious problem is the apparent loss of that new Admin account.

To check the state of your user accounts, run the net user checks in section 1 of

If the Admin prompt has a greyed out or missing Yes button but no password
    entry box, use the Built-In Admin account in Safe mode to create two new Admin accounts - Wiki

and in the results for each account, check the line Account active.

From your posted diagram, I assume that the lost account username is Malex because you do not appear to have logged into any accounts other than Malex & USER.

Denis

Tryx3, May 16, 2016
  3. Malex25 Win User
    User folder has no user account, how to delete?

EDIT 6-14-17 8am: To clarify, this "USER" account is IN the "Users" folder...a folder within a folder. Is this normal? Disregard the Default.migrated. That appeared after my computer updated last night.

To clarify I am trying to delete the FOLDER. I have switched my Microsoft account to my new custom folder which is "malex" and now want to delete the original. Thank you for suggestions

How to delete USER FOLDER link [​IMG]

Note: The forum would not let me submit an edit to my initial post, hence the reply here.

Malex25, May 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are talking about the .ini file, that can be deleted. If it is a folder, there is no way of telling you, since most system folders are owned by the System and with the latest updates, there is no way to remove them anymore, since Microsoft has tightened their security restrictions when you are in Windows. You could try using a Linux Live version on a USB stick and see if you can go into that folder and delete that file or folder if it is empty.

bro67, May 16, 2016
  5. Siggy Win User
    I should have thought this out better. My apologies.
    Now reads:
    Have been using Win10 for about 6 months when a User Folder Icon, SIG, appeared on the Desktop. No idea what I did to make it happen. I believe the SIG is a link to C:/Users/SIG
    Adding or deleting a file in C:/Users/SIG the same results appear in the Desktop User Folder SIG.
    Right clicking on the Desktop User folder icon, the drop down menu does not have a 'Property' choice.
    Also when I drag the Desktop User Folder Icon to C:/Users/USER% a message pops up "CREATE IN SIG". Double clicking on the Desktop User folder SIG opens a list of the same files&folders in C:/Users/SIG.

Siggy, May 16, 2016
  6. gpwill Win User
    Cant you just uncheck it from here?

gpwill, May 16, 2016
  7. Siggy Win User
    It worked. Thanks

Siggy, May 16, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Thought what our? The need to just follow what I stated to remove that if it really bothers you. Personally I would leave it alone, since it is most likely not hurting anything by being there.

If it could be caused by Malware, then you need to follow the instructions on the post in Majorgeeks.com Malware section of their forum titled "Read me first".

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to delete USER FOLDER link - Similar Threads - delete USER FOLDER

2. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  3. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  4. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleted a users folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted a users folder: Hello. I've deleted one of the users folders 2 weeks ago which was, to put it simply, a VERY, VERY DUMB idea. At first, I thought nothing of it as windows loaded up and worked but then, as expected, problems appeared as soon as I restarted the computer. first of all, some...
  6. How to delete "Downloads" folder/link?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to delete "Downloads" folder/link?: (Sorry for bad grammar) So i wanted to return the "downloads" link to default location https://imgur.com/a/akes8Xq because it was on the dropbox folder and i don't use drop box anymore. Then this happened https://imgur.com/a/AunwSfX i can't delete it or do anything about it....
  7. Deleted a user, but the folder remains & it's locked - how to delete?

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted a user, but the folder remains & it's locked - how to delete?: I created a test user account, but it's no longer needed, so I wanted to delete it. I deleted it under settings>accounts>family & other people. It said it would delete all data, but it did not delete the user folder. The user is no longer available, but it left the folder...
  8. How Delete an Old "Users" Folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How Delete an Old "Users" Folders: Hi, I build a PC in 2014 and installed W7 and I changed the user profile folders path in the registry for new users to be created on a drive "E:\Users" different from my small ssd "C:" drive. I have already updated to W10 and I am having some small problems, but I can not...
  9. Deleted User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Folders: I have two users whose accounts have been deleted but their folders under C Users are re-created on restart after deleting them. Hang over from W7 but can anyone help me permanently delete the in W10? 9655
  10. Deleted User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Folders: I have two users whose accounts have been deleted but their folders under C Users are re-created on restart after deleting them. Hang over from W7 but can anyone help me permanently delete the in W10? 9651