Windows 10: How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

Discus and support How to diagnose a strange hangproblem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 8, 2018.

1. pokeefe0001 Win User

How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this.

I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type message and runs for about 10 seconds. Several times- 3 or 4 - in the past week the command window has stayed open after the mount has completed. I have had FireFox running each time this has happened, and each time FireFox has hung; it loses focus and cannot be brought to the foreground. Process Explorer shows 4 or 5 Firefox processes. After killing them and restarting Firefox it works as though there had been no problem.

Two basic things I failed to check:
    • I did not check to see if any FireFox processes were using cycles (but I think I would have noticed if one seemed busy).
    • I did not check for any events.

This may be happening on two PCs but I can remember only one for sure. Both PCs are running Win10 1803.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 8, 2018
  2. Harkanwar Singh Win User

strange mouse cursor pause

Hi Joleen,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Harkanwar Singh Win User
    Strange icon in windows action center!

Hi Desmond,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

1. How to diagnose a strange hangproblem - Similar Threads - diagnose strange hangproblem

2. How to diagnose a hangproblem

in Browsers and Email
    How to diagnose a hangproblem: I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type...
  3. BSOD occurring daily - how do i diagnose the issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD occurring daily - how do i diagnose the issue?: My computer has all updates - running windows 10. Have been having bsod daily though each day the time it occurs gets later and later through the day. am attaching the dmp file for advice if someone can figure out what the cause is. thanks 73434
  4. Cant Diagnose Crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant Diagnose Crashes: Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my new computer. It's custom built all new parts (i7-6700K, 4x8GB 2400mhz , GTX 980 Ti Hybrid , Asus Sabertooth z170) asides from the PSU (Corsair HX850W). Windows 10 is installed ( upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate ) on a 120GB Kingston SSD,...
  5. Hypertransport sync flood error - how to diagnose?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hypertransport sync flood error - how to diagnose?: Hi, I'm thinking it may be the end of the road for my Biostar A880G+ motherboard which is a shame as it has done me well until this point. The problems started appearing after I shifted to a new case so that I had room to upgrade the GPU. I think the two problems are...
  6. How do I diagnose and fix mediocre network connectivity?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I diagnose and fix mediocre network connectivity?: I have a desktop and I'm connected wirelessly to my Arris modem. I never have any problems connecting with any of my other devices or laptop. I ran the troubleshooter and came up with this image below. It tells me that I'm connected but I had no internet connection at the...
  7. Windows 10 Taking almost "FOREVER" to startup - how to diagnose?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Taking almost "FOREVER" to startup - how to diagnose?: So..... Ihave been using Windows 10 a long while and recently "something" happened. It occurred after trying to install and uninstall AVIRA antivirus. Now, when starting Windows, the spinning dots appear for several hours before the system comes live to login. OK, maybe less...
  8. Diagnosing 100% Disk usage?

Diagnosing 100% Disk usage?: I need some help diagnosing why my system disk is running at 100% without anything actually running. I found multiple other threads about this, but none solved the problem for me and most "fixes" were actually unrelated and a coincidence. My Anti Virus is not doing...
  9. Any tools to diagnose PC

Any tools to diagnose PC: Hello Is there any tool available to diagnose Win 10 and PC behavior. System is erratic and sometime very slow. Last boot, I had access to Chrome, but the desktop , task bar and start button where unavailable for at least 5 minutes. And even after that respond to an asked...
  10. How diagnose and/or fix internittant hang

in Windows 10 Support
    How diagnose and/or fix internittant hang: I asked this question months ago, but I have new information so I'm going to treat it as a new problem and ask again. Every day or 2 (but never more than once a day) I experience an odd hang on my desktop where currently running programs continue to run but I cannot start...