How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

Discus and support How to diagnose a strange hangproblem in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 8, 2018.

1. pokeefe0001 Win User

I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this.

I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type message and runs for about 10 seconds. Several times- 3 or 4 - in the past week the command window has stayed open after the mount has completed. I have had FireFox running each time this has happened, and each time FireFox has hung; it loses focus and cannot be brought to the foreground. Process Explorer shows 4 or 5 Firefox processes. After killing them and restarting Firefox it works as though there had been no problem.

Two basic things I failed to check:
    • I did not check to see if any FireFox processes were using cycles (but I think I would have noticed if one seemed busy).
    • I did not check for any events.

This may be happening on two PCs but I can remember only one for sure. Both PCs are running Win10 1803.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 8, 2018
  2. Harkanwar Singh Win User

strange mouse cursor pause

Hi Joleen,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Harkanwar Singh Win User
    Strange icon in windows action center!

Hi Desmond,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

How to diagnose a strange hangproblem - Similar Threads - diagnose strange hangproblem

1. How to diagnose a hangproblem

in Windows 10 Support
    How to diagnose a hangproblem: I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type...
  2. Diagnosing BSOD that only occurs while playing crysis 3

in Windows 10 Support
    Diagnosing BSOD that only occurs while playing crysis 3: The error read - Session "EventLog-AirSpaceChannel" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188 Before anyone asks: Yes, my CPU overclock is stable. I ran intel's extreme tuning utility for 6+ hrs (temps rarely go above 73c for xtu) along with IntelBurnTest and...
  3. BSOD occurring daily - how do i diagnose the issue?

in Windows 10 Support
    BSOD occurring daily - how do i diagnose the issue?: My computer has all updates - running windows 10. Have been having bsod daily though each day the time it occurs gets later and later through the day. am attaching the dmp file for advice if someone can figure out what the cause is. thanks 73434
  4. Diagnoses of BSOD Occured Yesterday

in Windows 10 Support
    Diagnoses of BSOD Occured Yesterday: HI All Clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators edition, received my very first ever BSOD, so making sure nothing is wrong with the system hardware or anything.. Am Running Avast Antivirus 2294, (uninstalled right now to see if occurs with Defender) so far hasn't,...
  5. How do I diagnose and fix mediocre network connectivity?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I diagnose and fix mediocre network connectivity?: I have a desktop and I'm connected wirelessly to my Arris modem. I never have any problems connecting with any of my other devices or laptop. I ran the troubleshooter and came up with this image below. It tells me that I'm connected but I had no internet connection at the...
  6. Windows 10 getting "Automatic repairing" and "diagnosing PC" messages

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 getting "Automatic repairing" and "diagnosing PC" messages: I am in desperate need of help! First, I normally do back up, but my back up drive and recovery disks were stolen about 2 weeks ago while we were moving and I had not bought a new backup since. System is configured as: Lenovo T520 mSata (primary drive) SSD for 2nd and...
  7. “Diagnosing your PC” at start up on new install

in Windows 10 Support
    “Diagnosing your PC” at start up on new install: History: Had Win8.1 running for 3 years on Dell M4500 laptop - one day couldn't log on, getting "preparing automatic repair" message and could never fix it. Bought new SSD and installed Win10 Problem: I just got the same "preparing automatic repair/Diagnosing your PC"...
How to diagnose a strange hangproblem solved