Windows 10: How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

Discus and support How to diagnose a strange hangproblem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 8, 2018.

1. How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this.

I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type message and runs for about 10 seconds. Several times- 3 or 4 - in the past week the command window has stayed open after the mount has completed. I have had FireFox running each time this has happened, and each time FireFox has hung; it loses focus and cannot be brought to the foreground. Process Explorer shows 4 or 5 Firefox processes. After killing them and restarting Firefox it works as though there had been no problem.

Two basic things I failed to check:
    • I did not check to see if any FireFox processes were using cycles (but I think I would have noticed if one seemed busy).
    • I did not check for any events.

This may be happening on two PCs but I can remember only one for sure. Both PCs are running Win10 1803.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 8, 2018

2. strange mouse cursor pause

Hi Joleen,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Strange icon in windows action center!

Hi Desmond,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

1. How to diagnose a strange hangproblem - Similar Threads - diagnose strange hangproblem

2. How to diagnose blue screen issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to diagnose blue screen issue: Hello,I am reaching out for support regarding a blue screen issue with my Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 10. Today, I encountered a BSOD, following which my computer automatically restarted. To assist with the diagnosis, I have uploaded both the memory.dmp file and the...
  3. How to diagnose blue screen issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to diagnose blue screen issue: Hello,I am reaching out for support regarding a blue screen issue with my Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 10. Today, I encountered a BSOD, following which my computer automatically restarted. To assist with the diagnosis, I have uploaded both the memory.dmp file and the...
  4. How to diagnose blue screen issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to diagnose heavy CPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to diagnose heavy CPU usage: Windows Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.2728 Surface Pro i7 Fresh boot - CPU usage at 100% see image How do I troubleshoot this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-diagnose-heavy-cpu-usage/62af061f-288d-42d5-8be8-b49cc523a8a2
  6. How to diagnose heavy CPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to diagnose heavy CPU usage: Windows Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.2728 Surface Pro i7 Fresh boot - CPU usage at 100% see image How do I troubleshoot this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-diagnose-heavy-cpu-usage/62af061f-288d-42d5-8be8-b49cc523a8a2
  7. How to diagnose a Hardware error

How to diagnose a Hardware error: Hi there, I am experiencing a couple of crashes throughout the day every hour or so. My computer freezes for 1-2 seconds, screen then goes black for about 1 second, then everything resumes as normal. I found this problem below in Reliability Monitor. What do I do with...
  8. Startup responsiveness and how to diagnose?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup responsiveness and how to diagnose?: When I start my system, my C drive is maxed at 100% for about 15 minutes. Because of this I've started leaving my machine on overnight, which I'm not a fan of. I put it into sleep, but after about 15 minutes it wakes up, but that's a whole other issue. My CPU is a quad core...
  9. How to Diagnose and Fix an Overheating Laptop

How to Diagnose and Fix an Overheating Laptop: I found a website trying to deliver the answer, is there anything else I can do? 3 Key Tips and Solutions: How to Diagnose and Fix an Overheating Laptop. Can you help me?...
  10. How to diagnose a hangproblem

in Browsers and Email
    How to diagnose a hangproblem: I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type...