Windows 10: How to disable automatic maintenance?

Discus and support How to disable automatic maintenance? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bobjoe, Aug 20, 2015.

1. bobjoe Win User

How to disable automatic maintenance?

I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)

Automatic maintenance runs some unnecessary background tasks while the computer is on.

In Windows 8, you could disable automatic maintenance through Task Scheduler. In Windows 10, the "task" of Automatic Maintenance is no longer there. Looks like Microsoft is hiding it. Where is it?

:)

bobjoe, Aug 20, 2015

2. 6120 - how to disable automatic keylock/sleepmode?

have you gone to:

settings/phone settings/general/security/phone and sim card/

then set keypad autolock to -> NONE

if this doesnt solve your problem, try to do a hard reset or factory reset, just be warned that you need to backup your phone's content 1st

friedbrains, Aug 20, 2015
  3. jicks Win User
    e90 how to disable automatic keylock

hello ther.

go to tools-settings/general/security/phone and sim card/keypad autolock period..

jicks, Aug 20, 2015
  4. FerchogtX Win User

Mhhh, maybe you can disable that through disk defragmenter?, I could do that since I installed 10, and it's a VM. normally if you disable the automatic optimizer, the task schedule is disabled as well.

Now, if you are to install W10 on your new SSD, don't worry, the installer detects if this is a HDD or a SSD, so it will disable any defragment tools if it sees it's an actual SSD. I've heard that, for Windows to detect that, it's necessary to enable AHCI mode in your BIOS instead of legacy IDE support, dunno if that is true or not though.

FerchogtX, Aug 21, 2015
  5. brummyfan Win User
    Go to Control Panel, switch to view by small icons, Administrative tools, Defragment and Optimise, Change settings and switch off Optimise.

How to disable automatic maintenance? [​IMG]

How to disable automatic maintenance? [​IMG]

brummyfan, Aug 21, 2015
  6. bobjoe Win User
    That's for defragmentation only. Automatic maintenance does other things as well.

bobjoe, Aug 21, 2015
  7. brummyfan Win User
    Sorry*Redface

brummyfan, Aug 21, 2015
  8. rvcjew Win User

Check your action center, under maintenance there is a option to change the scheduled maintenance. What SSD did you buy, your prob better off just leaving it to do the maintenance as it does things like index your files for you. It can wake your pc from sleep though.

rvcjew, Aug 22, 2015
  9. bobjoe Win User
    Samsung 850 Evo 1TB.

It's annoying how MS keeps dumbing down their OS to an unbearable level. Taking away users' control since 2012 with Windows 8...

bobjoe, Aug 22, 2015
  10. rvcjew Win User
    With one that good I would probably just leave it alone, and yes 10 seems to have some unfinished ui elements and things in odd places. It kinda looks like they gutted windows 7/8 and left parts they did not have time to make a ui for. I'm sure it will get more stream lined as the updates roll out that change big issues people find. No mater what I disabled to the point of the pc almost not being able to wake back up mine would always wake from sleep after about 3 hours so I went back to 7 and it may be have been an upgrade issue or something to do with my soundcard but I do not have time to mess with it atm. I do not regret coming back at this time. I also have a lot of old games that do not work with the DRM ban in 10 as well so that's a downer (I do understand why they did it though).

rvcjew, Aug 22, 2015
  11. bobjoe Win User
    I agree. The two settings panels are really frustrating... What the hell was wrong with the Control Panel which everyone was used to which made Microsoft begin replacing it? I do not like the new "Settings" at all! Looks like something straight out of a mobile OS.

And hmm... I've been running many disc based games with SecuROM with 0 issues in Windows 10... I guess the "ban on DRM" was just another click bait article.

bobjoe, Aug 22, 2015
  12. rvcjew Win User
    The DRM is on certain types of the stuff and the settings menu is for more touch friendliness and if you are in tablet mode they even get bigger.

rvcjew, Aug 22, 2015
  13. bobjoe Win User

What "types of the stuff"?

Interesting. Well, I still think MS should make Control Panel the default if you're not in "tablet mode". Once you switch to "tablet mode", then the new "Settings" panel activates. That would be the smart choice.

bobjoe, Aug 22, 2015
  14. rvcjew Win User
    That would be good too except they have basically removed things like the old ui for updates ect. completely. I still find it hilarious that the picker for solid colors for desktop background does not have a white option. And for "stuff" the games like the sims for instance are having issues and if you look in the gaming section of the forums here you will see others with same problems for the DRM. Most studios actually patched it out of there games over time so that may be why yours works.

rvcjew, Aug 22, 2015
  15. Automatic Maintenance just runs a bunch of Windows tasks, which can be disabled one by one.
    The easiest way to find out which, is to run Maintenance yourself, then check, which were running.
    Of course disable only those, you do want/need, some can be quite useful like memory diagnostic.

TairikuOkami, Aug 22, 2015
Thema:

1. How to disable automatic maintenance? - Similar Threads - disable automatic maintenance

2. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. I want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle, disrupting my work...
  3. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. Im sick of it and want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle,...
  4. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. Im sick of it and want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle,...
  5. How to change time of automatic maintenance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change time of automatic maintenance?: Every single night, between 2:00 and 3:00am, my computer wakes itself up from sleep. The keyboard lights up, both monitor turn on, and the pc starts making noise. It does this because it is doing automatic maintenance. This wakes me up. Every single night. It wakes up 2-4...
  6. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  7. How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?: The Windows 8.1 method is not working... I cannot find "Idle Maintenance" under TaskScheduler anymore!!! 63833
  8. how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?

how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?: I'd like to turn of automatic maintenance, just like i did in Windows 8/8.1. It was easy and straight forward, but in Windows 10 it seems they took the options away in task scheduler. Frustrating since i do not want my computer looking for updates or running maintenance every...
  9. Disable automatic maintenance?

Disable automatic maintenance?: Since the task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10, does anyone know how to disable automatic maintenance? 17025
  10. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer. This includes...