Windows 10: How to disable only the main keyboard?

Discus and support How to disable only the main keyboard? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi to everyone, I have a broken keyboard that writes itself, starts the uppercase without warning etc ...I would like to use the keyboard attached via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by garlich, Sep 28, 2016.

1. garlich Win User

How to disable only the main keyboard?

Hi to everyone, I have a broken keyboard that writes itself, starts the uppercase without warning etc ...I would like to use the keyboard attached via USB cable which is fine, but the main pc keyboard keeps giving me trouble even if I don't touch it.
    How can I disable it and use only the keyboard to USB?
    There is a software or a setting that is right for me?
    Thank you.

:)

garlich, Sep 28, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

How to make icons ONLY SHOW UP on the MAIN MONITOR!

Have you checked updates lately? I am on 16299.334 now since 3/22/2018.

I do not know about 3 monitors as I have only 1 extra hooked to a laptop.

lacrumb, Sep 28, 2016
  3. How to make icons ONLY SHOW UP on the MAIN MONITOR!

Hi,

here are more info

Windows 10 Pro

ver 1709

OS build 16299.309

thakx for ur help

the-emperor, Sep 28, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Check Device Manager under Keyboards. You should see one or more entries for your built-in laptop keyboard. Disable them one at a time until you turn off your built-in keyboard. Then it should leave you (and your system) alone!
    On my Lenovo, the keyboard shows up as "HID Keyboard Device;" I'll report back later with what my Dell says (I'm installing the latest Insider Preview on it right now and can't access Device Manager).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 28, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I've not seen a BIOS on Notebooks/Laptops that allow disabling the keyboard as it's needed even when there's no OS/Operating System installed. One might be able to open the Notebook up [take it apart] and disconnect the ribbon cable from the motherboard. It's not too costly to replace it, lots of sites on the 'net where one can be purchased [I use The Orange County Tech | Complete Small Business I.T. Services frequently] but the main issue as mentioned is physically replacing it. Some are easy to remove, others not so much.

Berton, Sep 28, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Good point. Now that I check the entries in DevMgr, I see that while one can uninstall a built-in keyboard driver, disabling is not an option. I'd still try uninstalling them though, if only to see what happens. But if I read this thread on the Lenovo forums correctly, Berton is probably right that you'd need to pop the case and disconnect the keyboard ribbon cable to truly disable it. Question then becomes: will it boot without detecting its internal keyboard? Some systems will, some systems won't. If you tell us what kind of laptop you've got, we can do some more focused research.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

Just checked the Dell and it shows 2 HID Keyboard Device and 1 Standard PS/2 Keyboard entries. My best guess is that the PS/2 item is the "real" built-in keyboard on that machine.

EdTittel, Sep 28, 2016
  7. Right click Start - Device Manager - Keyboards - Standard PS/2 Keyboard - Driver - Update Driver
    Browse my computer for driver software - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    Uncheck "Show compatible hardware" - Choose ALPS - ALPS Japanese USB Keyboard - Next - Yes

How to disable only the main keyboard? [​IMG]

How to disable only the main keyboard? [​IMG]

After you have updated to the wrong driver, you can right click the device and Disable it.

TairikuOkami, Sep 28, 2016
  8. garlich Win User

This procedure worked fine, have disabled the touchpad also, but it's not important, thank you genius!

garlich, Sep 29, 2016
  9. darkmom Win User
    Thank you so much! This worked perfectly

darkmom, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to disable only the main keyboard? - Similar Threads - disable main keyboard

2. How to disable internal keyboard and only use external keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable internal keyboard and only use external keyboard: I recently bought a new keyboard for my new duo monitor setup, this is great and all but I can not for the life of me figure out how to disable to laptop's internal keyboard as I have a cat who likes to sit on it so it activates when im trying to use my other keyboard. I have...
  3. How to disable internal keyboard and only use external keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable internal keyboard and only use external keyboard: I recently bought a new keyboard for my new duo monitor setup, this is great and all but I can not for the life of me figure out how to disable to laptop's internal keyboard as I have a cat who likes to sit on it so it activates when im trying to use my other keyboard. I have...
  4. How to disable internal keyboard and only use external keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?

How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?: My keyboard started typing '*' and 'backspace', I've installed Power Toys and disabled those keys, however, it's a very unique experience living without backspace and pressing left arrow and delete every time. Could you please tell me how can I turn off my laptop's keyboard...
  6. How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?: My keyboard started typing '*' and 'backspace', I've installed Power Toys and disabled those keys, however, it's a very unique experience living without backspace and pressing left arrow and delete every time. Could you please tell me how can I turn off my laptop's keyboard...
  7. How to disable the notebook keyboard and leaving only a usb external keyboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. how to disable my keyboard?

how to disable my keyboard?: my laptop keyboard presses by itself and i want to disable it and use an external keyboard. i already tried uninstalling the keyboard in device manager and restarting the laptop but it doesn’t disable the keyboard and still presses by itself...
  9. How can I use a second keyboard for macros only, without interfering with my main keyboard ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I use a second keyboard for macros only, without interfering with my main keyboard ?: Hi people ! I'd like to use some kind of one-hand gaming keyboard (or a numpad keyboard) next to my main keyboard for macro keys only. The main idea is that it won't interfere at all with my main keyboard so I can keep using it without any problem. I watched some x-keys...
  10. How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?

How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?: I have tried: 1. Install an incompatible driver - still works. 2. Disable it through DevManView - gives an error. 3. Uninstalling it - obviously does not work, it will reinstall upon restart. I need it for 2 reasons: for my laptop, so I could put food on my laptop,...