Windows 10: How to disable run dialog history? (disable, not empty)

Discus and support How to disable run dialog history? (disable, not empty) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I prevent windows from keeping a history of commands typed in the Run dialog box? I mean DISABLE not empty. The entries are in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Martinz, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Martinz Win User

How to disable run dialog history? (disable, not empty)

How do I prevent windows from keeping a history of commands typed in the Run dialog box?

I mean DISABLE not empty. The entries are in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

Is there a .reg to disable it?

:)

Martinz, Feb 19, 2017

2. How to disable confirm dialog when deleting messages on the Lumia 920?

It is really annoying that each time I delete a message, I have to confirm. How can I disable that on the Lumia 920?

Also, I spend a long time trying to figure out why my phone did not come with Nokia Music in denmak, after alomost 1 hour searching on the net, I found out that the service do not exist in Denmark... Why not just have the Nokia Music in the App store and
    just show a message when people try to install it, saying that its not availble in the user's country?

Marcanti---01, Feb 19, 2017
  3. CJLim Win User
    How to disable confirm dialog when deleting messages on the Lumia 920?

You can't dsable the confirmation, but you can reduce the number of times you need to confirm to just once by marking the messages you wish to delete first. Shortcut for marking messages is to tap the left hand edge of the message you with to mark.

CJLim, Feb 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, as a guess, you might try changing the permissions on
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

A quick internet search (see my signature!) offers this (see second part on permissions)
    Tweak the History in the Run Dialog Box in Windows

dalchina, Feb 19, 2017
  5. Martinz Win User
    I saw that.
    Somehow in Windows 7 I managed to make windows not log those entries with some setting/config.
    Now in Windows 10 it is logging them on that MRU key.

Isn't there a .reg key or a .vbs/.cmd script to do all that parmission stuff?

I mean, If I have to manually to registry and change that key permission I rather leave it as is.

Martinz, Feb 19, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Well, you could write a script to make the change.... *Wink

dalchina, Feb 19, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    Settings/Personalization/Start/'Show most used apps' - uncheck.

Edwin, Feb 19, 2017
  8. Martinz Win User

Perfect! That is what I was looking for. Now I just need a .reg for that setting *Biggrin

Martinz, Feb 20, 2017
  9. Edwin New Member
    Set the setting then go and export the empty RunMRU Key to use at will.

Edwin, Feb 20, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Here's how to find out what you need (I doubt someone's going to give you that).

1. Get a copy of Regshot (free)
    2. Run it, create first capture.
    3. Make change as Edwin describes.
    4. Create 2nd capture.
    5. Compare

The result shows you what's changed.
    Therefore you can save the relevant registry key for future use.

dalchina, Feb 20, 2017
  11. Martinz Win User
    I tried it before you post.
    Unfortunately the regshot comparison output is huge. I couldn't get the specific key from it.
    Event though the difference/time the snapshots is a simple click on the "apply"

Martinz, Feb 20, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    I always use procmon.

Seems to be the Start_TrackProgs DWORD at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Off is zero.

13. dalchina New Member

- It isn't normally- unless you've lots of things going on in the background.

dalchina, Feb 20, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Is there any way of using procmon to get a before and after comparison to see changes? I wasn't aware of that..

dalchina, Feb 20, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    Don't think so. I just filtered SystemSettings.exe and RegSetValue then toggled on and off a few times to see what it was changing.

How to disable run dialog history? (disable, not empty) [​IMG]

Thema:

1. How to disable run dialog history? (disable, not empty) - Similar Threads - disable run dialog

2. How to disable the deleting of history in chrome?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the deleting of history in chrome?: google chrome deleted my history gradually every days automatic how to disable it?please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-deleting-of-history-in-chrome/35115f84-a914-4b77-8deb-8455bcad2d21
  3. How to disable the deleting of history in chrome?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the deleting of history in chrome?: google chrome deleted my history gradually every days automatic how to disable it?please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-deleting-of-history-in-chrome/35115f84-a914-4b77-8deb-8455bcad2d21
  4. How to disable Downloads group by inside File Open dialog?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable Downloads group by inside File Open dialog?: I know how to turn off inside regular Windows Explorer but not inside File Open dialogs. This seems to only affect Downloads folder too. submitted by /u/mycall [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mpezvg/how_to_disable_downloads_group_by_inside_file/
  5. How to enable or disable System Print Dialog in Chrome browser

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable System Print Dialog in Chrome browser: [ATTACH]If the Print Dialog box not appearing, then in this post we will show […] This article How to enable or disable System Print Dialog in Chrome browser first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Run dialog box typed history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dialog box typed history: Good evening, just a simple question, I use to have the history of my previous typed "cmd" in the run dialog box Can you tell me how to have back this helpful behaviour? thank you 160164
  7. How to disable App History reset?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable App History reset?: As I understand, App History statistic in Task Manager doesn't keep data more than 30 days. How to disable this and make it permanent N years? Any registry tweaks?...
  8. How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows: The next Windows 10 version may group files automatically in open dialogs. When you use the open option to load files in Windows 10 version 1809 or earlier currently, e.g. to open an image in an image editor or an archive, you get a single list of files sorted by recency....
  9. "Show most used apps" is disabled and it affects the "Run" history?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Show most used apps" is disabled and it affects the "Run" history?: The Run history is not retained a search led me to a post which informed that "Show most used apps" in Settings\Personalization should be enabled. In my case, this slider is greyed out and is not accessible. 128069
  10. Run dialog box doesn't remember history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dialog box doesn't remember history: [img] All of a sudden my Run dialog box is empty. The icons on the left of the image are just part of my desktop. Also, if I put in something like "control printers" or gpedit.msc, they open, but the Run dialog box is empty the next time. I haven't made any updates recently,...