Windows 10: how to disable run via search on Windows 10?

Discus and support how to disable run via search on Windows 10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; We are trying to prevent our users from running various commands that we don't specifically approve. We have implemented Applocker, but that doesn't... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by curwin, Feb 26, 2017.

1. curwin Win User

how to disable run via search on Windows 10?

We are trying to prevent our users from running various commands that we don't specifically approve. We have implemented Applocker, but that doesn't prevent the user from running commands beginning with rundll32.exe or regsrv32.exe. In previous versions of Windows the group policy setting "Remove Run menu from Start Menu" was sufficient. But in Windows 10, when a user starts typing any command in search, even with that GP setting enforced, the command runs.

Is there any way to prevent this? It is a significant security issue, and I am surprised that Windows 10, which is generally more secure, in this issue is actually less so.

If not, is there at least a way I can prevent access to the search field? I've already found it on the task bar (even if I set it to "hidden", the user can switch it back to "show search icon" or "show search box"), in the alphabetical list of programs (under "Search") and via the Windows+S and Windows+Q hotkeys.

I tried renaming the folder C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

That did disable the search function entirely, but it went too far for our needs. It would prevent the users from running their programs from the Start Menu. For example, they couldn't just start typing "Word" and have Microsoft Word open.

Any ideas will be welcome.

Thanks!

David

:)

curwin, Feb 26, 2017

2. Windows search won't stop (attempting to fix 100% disk usage)

My new windows 10 machine is running very slowly, showing 100% disk usage in task manager. If I kill windows search, the usage drops momentarily but search appears again and the disk usage returns to 100%. I've tried killing from powershell (admin) and I
    get "windows search was stopped successfully" but it's still there in task manager.

Disabling windows search from services manager doesn't work either.

I disabled search service and restarted, now the search service shows disabled but the search icon is still on the taskbar and the service is still running in task manager. How can I turn it off?

NeasanO Conghaile, Feb 26, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Update stuck at 81%

disable the automatic update via the "services" or "services.msc". search it on start menu. run it as administrator (also works even if it is run normally by just clicking but just run it as admin anyway) then scroll down to windows update. right click.
    properties. change automatic to "disable". then apply. it's what i do to stop updates

superhirro, Feb 26, 2017
  4. how to disable run via search on Windows 10?

cottonball, Mar 11, 2017
Thema:

how to disable run via search on Windows 10?

1. how to disable run via search on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - disable run via

2. Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it: So I have had this problem for a long time now. I have been trying to fix this issue for an year and windows search still running and is eating up my ram. I also tried hard reseting my laptop but nothing worked. I also tried the Methods which I found in the microsoft wepsite...
  3. Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it: So I have had this problem for a long time now. I have been trying to fix this issue for an year and windows search still running and is eating up my ram. I also tried hard reseting my laptop but nothing worked. I also tried the Methods which I found in the microsoft wepsite...
  4. Windows Search doesnt stop running after disabling it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to disable Search Highlights on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Search Highlights on Windows 10: Windows 10 devices will soon get the new Search highlights feature that Microsoft introduced in recent Windows 11 Insider builds as well. [ATTACH] Search highlights has been pushed to the Windows 10 Release Preview channel, a development channel for Windows 10 that marks...
  6. How to disable web search in search icon windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable web search in search icon windows 10: Go to Windows Defender Firewall settings > Advanced setting > Outbound rules> Windows Search > properties > block the connection > apply > ok. This is working for me. 100%. Any other methods I can try ?....
  7. How to Disable Swiftkey via Registry?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Disable Swiftkey via Registry?: I was working on a mega reg file to set up my OS for me. I found out how to do almost everything via registry hacks. One of the exceptions is turning off Swiftkey. Does anyone know how to do this via registry? Also, I would prefer to disable, grey out the option, Swiftkey,...
  8. How to disable the WIndows 10 Type to Search on Startmenu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable the WIndows 10 Type to Search on Startmenu: Is there any way to disable the Windows Startmenu Search. Windows Key + type anything , it gives the result. Example : Windows Key + CMD will show the command prompt So when I harden any PC, user can still access CMD Similarly the other applications......
  9. Disable "device search history" via registry/gpo

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable "device search history" via registry/gpo: In 10 v1511 there is a new entry in the start menu search called "device search history" that is enabled by default. I use Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search] "AllowCortana"=dword:00000000 "DisableWebSearch"=dword:00000001...
  10. Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?: So I've gotten fed up enough with the terrible windows search system. I went into services.msc and disabled the windows search service; then restarted my computer. However, "Cortana" is still listed in my task manager taking up 50mb of memory. How do I kill Cortana?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to remove previous typed commands in the run using local GPO Windows 10