Windows 10: How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over?

Discus and support How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My small LAN consists of only 2 PCs, my desktop and my notebook, both running Windows 10 Home. There are also various Apple devices, an Amazon device,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hrussd, May 6, 2018.

1. hrussd Win User

How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over?

My small LAN consists of only 2 PCs, my desktop and my notebook, both running Windows 10 Home. There are also various Apple devices, an Amazon device, some home security devices, and an ASUS RT-N56U router.

Three days ago, I installed Windows 10 version 1803 on both PCs. Things were fine until yesterday, when my daily backup from my desktop to the notebook hard drive failed. Investigation of my desktop revealed that none of the three computers (Windows counts the router as a computer) were appearing under Network in File Explorer; in fact, the Computer category was not even displayed there. However, on the notebook, the computer category was displayed in File Explorer, and all three computers were displayed there. I was able to access folders and files in the desktop from the notebook. I ran my IPScanner (from the desktop), and everything looked OK with all devices responding.

After some browsing on the Internet, I found a suggestion that the problem could be caused because SMBv1 was disabled. Using Windows Features in Control Panel, I found that all three entries under "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" where indeed disabled (unchecked). I checked the later two boxes ("SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" and "SMB 1.0/CIFS Server"). After rebooting, my LAN worked properly again! I don't know (or much care) how SMBv1 got disabled on my desktop (but not on my notebook).

Now subsequent browsing has caused me to discover that SMBv1 has long ago been deprecated by Microsoft, and that it has major security issues and indeed should be disabled. My reading indicates that after disabling SMBv1, SMBv3 (or possibly SMBv2) should have kept my LAN working. That did not happen.

Now I am in a quandary: give up my LAN and my daily backup, or continue using SMBv1. If anyone can tell me how to get SMBv3 to take over after disabling SMBv1, I would be most grateful!

Also, does anyone know if my Norton Security (which informs me it is up to date) is offering any protection from the SMBv1 vulnerability?

:)

hrussd, May 6, 2018
Thema:

How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over?

1. How to Disable SMBv1 and Have SMBv3 Take Over? - Similar Threads - Disable SMBv1 SMBv3

2. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  3. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  4. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  6. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  7. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled no matter what

8. Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled: We all know about how people at microsoft make smbv1 mandatory to share folder across a local network, which exposes us to ransomwares. people at Microsoft have no concerns for security, despite being in IT business for the last 30 years.... in windows 10 , like 1809, the...
  9. Microsoft Guidance for Disabling SMBv3 Compression in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Guidance for Disabling SMBv3 Compression in Windows 10: Microsoft is aware of a remote code execution vulnerability in the way that the Microsoft Server Message Block 3.1.1 (SMBv3) protocol handles certain requests. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could gain the ability to execute code on the target SMB...
  10. Please set the record straight on correctly disabling SMBv1

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Please set the record straight on correctly disabling SMBv1: Over the past 6 months - I have been making efforts to ensure that SMBv1 is not on our network machines in any capacity - and for the most part it has worked ok. I use Windows 10 ENT on the workstations and Windows 2016 on the servers. But I remain confused on the actual...