Windows 10: How To Disable Tap-to-Click on Windows 10

Discus and support How To Disable Tap-to-Click on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently updated/upgraded my Windows 8 laptop to Windows 10 operating system. I would like to know how to disable the tap-to-click touch-pad feature... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by honshad07, Jul 30, 2015.

1. honshad07 Win User

How To Disable Tap-to-Click on Windows 10

I recently updated/upgraded my Windows 8 laptop to Windows 10 operating system. I would like to know how to disable the tap-to-click touch-pad feature in Windows 10. It was easy to do on 8, but after searching through the settings on 10 I am unable to locate that setting. Thank you.

:)

honshad07, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Ian Ser Win User

How do I disable tap-to-click in Windows 10?

Hi Rohan,

You can be assisted by your device's manufacturer for this issue. There are different settings depending on your device's manufacturer. The best advice I can give out is to contact them on how to disable the tap-to-click function.

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Ian Ser, Jul 30, 2015
  3. rohannb Win User
    How do I disable tap-to-click in Windows 10?

Whenever I type, the edge of my thumb tends to touch the trackpad on my laptop, causing the mouse to click or drag, which can end up with me suddenly typing in the wrong place. I often end up having to disable the trackpad entirely, which is annoying if
    I don't have a mouse nearby. I don't ever use the tap-to-click function; if I want to click something with my trackpad, I press it down.

I already looked up some suggestions to disable tap-to-click online, but none of them seem to work. Is there any way to disable tap-to-click, and if so, how?

Thanks, Rohan

rohannb, Jul 30, 2015
  4. honshad07 Win User

I thought I would update you on this. After playing with the settings on Windows 10, I have located the setting to turn off the tap-to-click setting. Follow these steps:

On the right side of the bottom taskbar click on the NOTIFICATIONS icon, then click on ALL SETTINGS. Click on PERSONALIZATION, then THEMES. The last option under RELATED SETTINGS is MOUSE POINTER SETTINGS, select it. Then click on the last tab called DEVICE SETTINGS and again on SETTINGS. A new window will open up with the mouse pointer options. Uncheck TAPPING and you're all done. Hope this helps.

honshad07, Aug 1, 2015
  5. mlanghor Win User
    There's no Tapping box to check. Seriously stupidest idea ever to accept a light touch as a click.

mlanghor, Aug 3, 2015
  6. RichK Win User
    I was able to follow your scenario as far as "Mouse Pointer Settings".
    Then the last tab is "Hardware" rather than "Device Settings". I tried hardware tab - no "settings" so double clicked on "Properties". I found lots of stuff under ASUS Touchpad Properties, details tab, Property Device Description downarrow. Unfortunately nothing looked like a way to disable tapping. Any sage advice? Perhaps Win10 was updated after you tested? I just installed Win10 this afternoon. Thanks for your help. I too hate tap-clicking. - Rich K

RichK, Aug 16, 2015
  7. I solved it! honshad07's instructions are correct to 'mouse pointer settings', from here the last tab seems to now be named 'Elan device' Go here and click 'options', under 'tapping' there is an option to disable tap to click. Hallelujah!

DissLocated, Aug 17, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

The name of last tab (and what is in it) depends on the manufacturer of the driver.

9. TLROP Win User
    I've turned off Tap To Click like a dozen times. Every time I reset my computer I have to turn it off again. So far my opinion of Win. 10 is low.

TLROP, Aug 25, 2015
  10. RichK Win User
    I'm glad you found a solution. Apparently ASUS is behind on this. Their Elan driver still has no way to disable tap clicking. I will contact ASUS and see if there is any joy to be had there.

RichK, Aug 25, 2015
  11. daverge Win User
    As a work-around, just max out the speed on the double-click option, so at least you'll have fewer accidental tap-to-click until Asus gets it together.

daverge, Aug 27, 2015
  12. ronb Win User
    I was having the same problem and have solved it. My pc is an HP. I went to their website and downloaded and installed a new touch pad driver and now the disable feature is working properly.

13. How To Disable Tap-to-Click on Windows 10

I don't want any of the crap - multi-finger options, in particular, included. I just got done trying for the umteenh time to turn the dang things off - it hasn''t worked yet. I want my touch pad to move the cursor around. PERIOD. Facetiously, I say to myself that I have never wanted to kill anyone more than the idiot programmer who is trying to "help" me Hey, whatever floats your boat, but I should be able to turn the dang options off without going through 27 screens (exaggerating here). Did it work this time? Is that idiotic pinch zoom off along with the other stuff? Did my absolute best to rurn them off - apply, ok, etc. Time will tell. lol

donaldglenn, Jan 14, 2016
  14. Ooh - maybe this what I been looking for! Also have HP

donaldglenn, Jan 14, 2016
  15. Psquared Win User
    I've had the same problem ever since upgrading my Asus laptop to Win 10. The touch pad had tap-to-click active and it was always causing menus to pop up - infuriatingly annoying! Initially, there were two tabs labeled elan. If I tried to use one of them, the computer would lock up. So, I tried all the solutions posted here and other forums as well - nothing worked. I even tried installing Asus Smart Gesture - as an administrator- but the install always failed at the end. What I ended up with was the default mouse driver and no option to disable tap-to-click. I was successful today and wanted to share what worked.

Starting with just the plain PS2/mouse driver installed/active, I used the driver update tool. I let it search the web and then install the driver it found. It was very slow, but I just did other things while it ran. When the whole process was completed and I had rebooted, I navigated to the additional mouse properties window, there was now a new tab labeled Elan (only 1 this time). I was able to select the Elan tab and disable the tap-to-click feature on that tab. Yahoo! No more unwanted menus popping up. Life is just a little bit better now.

Just prior to the success, I tried directly installing the latest Elan driver. It installed okay, but there was no Elan tab in the additional mouse properties window - thus no option to disable tap-to-click. I rolled back the driver and then did as I described above.

Psquared, Feb 27, 2016
Thema:

1. How To Disable Tap-to-Click on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable Tap Click

2. Disabling Tap to Click on Wireless Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling Tap to Click on Wireless Keyboard: I haven't been able to find a setting for my keyboard's 'Tap to Click' on the touchpad.Does Windows 11 have a setting for the mousepad?I could use the keyboard software. Trying to eliminate startup items.James...
  3. Disabling Tap to Click on Wireless Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling Tap to Click on Wireless Keyboard: I haven't been able to find a setting for my keyboard's 'Tap to Click' on the touchpad.Does Windows 11 have a setting for the mousepad?I could use the keyboard software. Trying to eliminate startup items.James...
  4. How to disable tap clicking?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable tap clicking?: I cant stand tap clicking, how can I disable it? In other versions of windows I was able to do it pretty easily in the settings, but now I cant find the option. Anyone know how to do it? submitted by /u/MrYoshi411 [link] [comments]...
  5. How to disable tap to click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable tap to click: I have tried pretty much everything people have said online but nothing works! either the tabs aren't there or the solutions just don't work. I am at my wit's end! Computer is an Alienware Area 51m...
  6. Disable tap to click on touchpad.

Disable tap to click on touchpad.: I recently installed an update to Windows 10. I originally had my touchpad set to only use the buttons to click, because I GODDAMN HATE WHEN THE TOUCHPAD ACCIDENTALLY CLICKS ON SOMETHING WHEN I BRUSH MY HAND ACROSS IT!!! I can't find anywhere to turn it off, and I swear to...
  7. disable click-on-tap on latest version of windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable click-on-tap on latest version of windows 10: Previous answers do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-click-on-tap-on-latest-version-of-windows/82691097-9c27-478c-b72b-0f36bc9b21a0
  8. Windows 10 how to Disable Generic touchpad tap-to-click?

Windows 10 how to Disable Generic touchpad tap-to-click?: I have a HP Pavilion Power laptop 15-cb0xx and its been going on for a while, but kinda getting a bit worse, that my touchpad can act very erratic at times with the mouse cursor just jumping about when i'm trying to do some work. But the weird thing is, it only seams to...
  9. Disabling tap to click in windows 10

Disabling tap to click in windows 10: I have an MSI computer with a Synaptics touch pad. I have not been able to disable the tap to click "feature" on the touch pad MSI says it is all controlled by Windows 10 and I have to wait to see if they fix it. This sounds wrong to me cause I have a Dell laptop running the...
  10. Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable the tapping feature (aka: Tap...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable tapping windows 10

2. disable tap to click windows 10

3. turn off tap to click windows 10

4. how to disable tap to click windows 10,
  5. tap pad functions,
  6. how to turn off tap to click windows 10,
  7. how to disable touch to click touchpad msi,
  8. how to disable tap click windows 10,
  9. how to disable tapping on windows 10,
  10. turn off tap to click windows 10 home,
  11. how to disable touch to to click on lenovo,